• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Making a repaint: How to create a separate layer with the grey details?

Country
netherlands
Although I work with Photoshop quite a few years already, I stil haven't got 'the trick' of how to create a separate layer with the graytones, like darker parts, rivet rows and shadow lines. When lucky, a white textureversion is available, but then what? Most repaint tutorials skip this specific phase of layer creation.

The best solution I found untill now, is setting the selection wizard at a certain value and select and cut out the lines and rivets. This layer I put above the layer with the colours I wanted to give the plane. Then I set the 'rivets an lines layer' at a half transparent setting, but this also 'bleaches' the rivets itself. Parts that smoothly go from white to grey are even very hard to select this way and the result after setting an amount of transparency is horrible.

I probably take the wrong procedures.
I have been searching in this site for a instruction how to do the rivets and lines in a proper way, but I failed to find it.
Or is there somebody who knows were such an instruction is found or who is so kind as to explain me how it is done?

aircraft-metal-plating-texture-rivets-260nw-578992012.jpg

Thanks for the help !
Bram Stikkel

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Here's a layered version of what I believe you might be trying to achieve. To pick out details, I use the magic wand tool in combination with selective copy/pasting; in other words, I will get the general area with the magic wand, and then copy a few specific rivets, which I then paste into the pattern, ultimately building my own pattern that only resembles the original. Then I will use eraser and various layers of opacity to get the end result. That whole group of layers gets condensed into a black and white image I call "displacement" and I use it with the displacement filter to modify the background image I created for the demonstration. It is the technique one uses to project an image onto fabric or waves. From there is it is (again) various layers of dirt and opacity to get the desired results, my principal tool is a "sponge" brush that I found online that used on the eraser tool, gives the mottled effect.

Xt9vMFj.jpg

Part of your post was included as proof the original shutterstock image was not edited.

Attachments

• layers.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 274
Country
netherlands
Hi RK, thank you for the description of the process you use, and the example files, how you did it.
I understand you partially use the same procedure as I do, only with more patience and time to edit.
I am going to take a good look at it and see if I can reach such a result too :) !
Thanks again !
Bram

Ronald

Resource contributor
Sometimes "wizards" can not achieve the required results you can get by doing stuff manually Bart.

What you also can do is:
- simply clone the bottom layer into a 2nd layer
- make a certain % of transparency to the 2nd layer
- modify the 2nd layer manually

Or create even more layers inside which you each put a different portion of the texture you want
Example:
1 - base grey undertone layer
2 - rivet shapes and locations
3 - the seems between the skin-plates
4 - color of the rivets
5 - shadows around the rivets
6 - color of the skin-plate seams
7 - shadows around skin-plate seams
8 - overall dirt and grime layer (for the dirty skin look)
9 - scratches and dents in the over all materials
That is - in a more detailed way - how you can achieve the best texture possible
By isolating each effect you want to have in a separate layer with its own transparency.

Keep those texture screenshots coming!

EDIT: Added links to external tutorials:
-https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/07/creating-custom-textures-photoshop-techniques/
-http://vectorboom.com/load/tutorials/effects/high_quality_vector_texture/3-1-0-353
-http://www.vandelaydesign.com/photoshop-tutorials/
-http://www.vandelaydesign.com/photoshop-tutorials-textures/

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
Hello Ronald and Kalong,
Thank you very much for the very usable idears, examples and links to more info sources.
Great idear, the use of several layers for different elements on the plane.
I am going to try this way of working.

Kind regards!
Bram Stikkel

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Blending modes are your friend! Over the years I came up with a workflow that achieves reliable results, here's an example using your texture:
W9tMtx4.jpg

You can add color using blending modes like "hard light", "overlay" or "color burn", depending on what effect you're going for. I usually draw shadows and highlights using "Hard light" for dirt effects apply a grunge map (seen on the left side of the image) and set it to "multiply". You can always tune down the effect with layer masks, the eraser tool or the opacity slider.

Country
netherlands
Vitus, thank you for this add. I think, I might be Adobe Photoshop Elements does not have this function, but I could switch to the freeware equivalent (which name I have forgotten at this moment..., sorry)
Greetings,
Bram

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
I think you can find Photoshop 2 for free, and legit, on the net. Its quite old, but it should have all the functions and filters necessary to create great textures.

Country
brazil
you can try the inverse way, blend the colors layer over the white texture layer with the details, tweak the opacity and "fill" to get a best result.