• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Making default fsX Runway Textures Transparent

Ok, I have searched and searched and I have seen that the best way at making a custom runway is using textured polys to overlay on top of the default runway, but, it seems thats almost a bandaid.

It would be nice if one could manipulate the tiled runway textures that FSX aplies to the runway example.. "Concrete, asphault, unknown", so that this particular surface type (texture) when selected in AFX, ADE, would appear transparent. I would asume, that the image files for the default runway surface types are somewhere in the FSX Folder. If one could find, lets say the, "Uknown" texture, and mod it to be 100% transparent, then they could place the runway over the photo scenery they made and get the detail from the photo scenery on the runway without the stock FSX runway surface obscuring the photo real texture.

So my question is:

Are the runway textures hard coded or hidden in a bgl somewhere?

If so, is there no way to modify this?

If not, where are the runway texture files?

Please excuse my ignorance if this is completely impossible.

Thanks

JB

The runway textures are in the main Texture folder.

They can be modified, but these textures are global, so it's just not a runway that gets changed.

Creating detailed Gmax runways allows for greater design capabilities, but FSX has some problems and the limit here is about 100m x 100m. So the designers who use Gmax go back and use the 2002 SDKs to compile. The results are worth it in many cases, but I believe FSnext will make this approach incompatible.

Gotcha...

You mean the main texture folder?

Do you know the naming method of the runway textures?

I thought that the, "Unknown" runway surface may very well be the one surface thats not being used... any insight on this?

And... Can we add a runway texture, as to not disrupt the global textures?

Sorry for my ignorance....

JB

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I think there are more runway types than textures. So I guess some of the types use the same texture for the moment. So it might be that unknown does not have its own texture, but is just mapped on the asphalt or concrete one.

Country
australia
The runway textures are in the main Texture folder.

They can be modified, but these textures are global, so it's just not a runway that gets changed.

Creating detailed Gmax runways allows for greater design capabilities, but FSX has some problems and the limit here is about 100m x 100m. So the designers who use Gmax go back and use the 2002 SDKs to compile. The results are worth it in many cases, but I believe FSnext will make this approach incompatible.

Just a sugestion that Might work try making a 0 width runway on top of a custom poly with the correct width runwaytype taxiway path.
Haven't tried it myself but I use 0 width Taxiways And Paths successfuly to make taxiway paths on grass for Ai traffic.
regards Frank.

Just a sugestion that Might work try making a 0 width runway on top of a custom poly with the correct width runwaytype taxiway path.
Haven't tried it myself but I use 0 width Taxiways And Paths successfuly to make taxiway paths on grass for Ai traffic.
regards Frank.

I would... but at this point, I would like to see if I can make one of the runway types transparent so I can do all my texturing and runway details on the runway of the photomap image itself, so I don't have to use extra polys for the runway...

JB

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
So did you try already what happens if you change any of the default textures? In the main texture folder there are files runway00 till runway68. I don't now the exact mapping, but I think if you pick one that is quite obvious (like grass, coral, etc) it should not be so hard to see if you approach might work.

So did you try already what happens if you change any of the default textures? In the main texture folder there are files runway00 till runway68. I don't now the exact mapping, but I think if you pick one that is quite obvious (like grass, coral, etc) it should not be so hard to see if you approach might work.

No Arno, not yet...I may give it a try today... Been busy with the, "Family Weekend".. ;)

JB

Country
newzealand
Hmm it would be interesting to see you results- I had a similar thought when I first saw that option 'Oh cool, now that we can have 7cm pixel res images, we can now set the runway surface to 'none' and still have the aerial photo and taxi markings show'.....It would be cool if this was the case.

It would be cool...

I haven't had the time away from the daily grind yet to really dive into it... But I did take a quick look at some of the runway textures and they look to be in an unfamiliar format. When I pull em up with the image tool in the SDK, they look very granular and pixelated and don't look anything like an image I am familiar with, so I will have to first figure out what exactly Aces did with thise textures..

JB

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll try to take a look as well, if I find some time :).