Making Lights light up the gound.

How do the devolpers design the landing lights to illuminate the gound. I am not talking about selecting this in the Generl Aircraft menu. I mean how do you get a light to lighten the ground.

I figured out how to make the mooney bravo taxi light switch to turn on a white nav light. I relocated it to the front where there is a place on most Mooney Aircraft for a taxi light.

I would like it to actually light up the ground at night so I can see now with the taxi light if it is possible. Maybe I need a different FX_effect? Thanks so much!

n4gix

Resource contributor
Landing and taxi light "ground splashes" must be contained in the compiled .mdl file. There is absolutely NO WAY to "add" anything to a compiled model (.mdl) file...

...unless you have the source file (.max, .gmax, .fsc) to work with.

I dont think he is talking about a finished file, he seems to work on own project.

Just search the forum for landing lights stuff, cause there are all over two ways
A. Effect files (FSX comes with a landing light effect)
B. Poly lights (+effect as far as i know)

(or is B completly withou effects and bill?)

Thanks Guys,

Bill that was the answer I was looking for. I was afraid it was in the .mdl.

Max when I get to that point I will definately go to those areas. I was hoping to make ground splash on an existing model.

Hey at least I have a taxi light that comes on when you push the switch and I fixed the recog lights from being larger strobe lights to steady on lights that also come on with the recog lights switch.

What is weird is that I have read that the light definitions only allow 1-5, (beacon through landing).

That said I was able to do this...

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 = 3, -2.75, -18.25, -0.18, fx_navred ,
light.1 = 3, -2.75, 18.25, -0.18, fx_navgre ,
light.2 = 7, -2.45, -18.25, -0.18, fx_navwhi ,//7 Recognition Lights
light.3 = 7, -2.45, 18.25, -0.18, fx_navwhi ,//7 Recognition Lights
light.4 = 1, -17.30, 0.00, -1.25, fx_beacon ,
light.5 = 4, -2.90, 0.00, -0.25, fx_vclight,
light.6 = 2, -4.10, -18.35, -0.13, fx_strobe ,
light.7 = 2, -4.10, 18.35, -0.13, fx_strobe ,
//light.8 = 3, -21.30, 0.00, 0.00, fx_navwhi ,
light.9 = 6, 3.50, 0.00 ,-1.2, fx_navwhih,//6 Taxi Lights

Notice the use of the 6 and 7 for recog and taxi lights. I don't know why but it works. ??

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
What is weird is that I have read that the light definitions only allow 1-5, (beacon through landing).
No, what is "weird" is that after over twelve YEARS, far too many "developers" haven't read the SDK and learned about the full range of lighting options! :yikes:

Code:
[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing 
//Types: 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logo 10=cabin

Well goes to show you cannot rely on just opinion alone in here. :D

Too many manuals not enough day. :p

Thanks for the pointers on where to find that out as I am just getting started. Excellent.