• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Making paid scenery?

Country
canada
1 is it worth it, if all i plan is an airport or two?
2 if i use an asset from MSFS2020 editor can i use the ones included or do i have to be mindful of every single asset (tree,car,bus,Air-condition) since they would be included in a paid version.
3 textures can i use freely avaiable textures or again a headache of checking EULA for every site i got the textures from

Country
germany

Depends on many factors. Like the country your in and where you pay your taxes. Here you would need some form of a registered business to be able to sell. And it can get complicated pretty quick, with advance tax payment and whatnot.

2 if i use an asset from MSFS2020 editor can i use the ones included or do i have to be mindful of every single asset (tree,car,bus,Air-condition) since they would be included in a paid version.

Not sure.

3 textures can i use freely avaiable textures or again a headache of checking EULA for every site i got the textures from

The known texture pages have licenses that let you do what you want to do, also commercial. Usually its mentioned right at the main page if thats the case. Like here or here

https://texturehaven.com/p/license.php

https://docs.cc0textures.com/licensing.html

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
You can use assets and textures supplied by Asobo or Microsoft, either default or updates, without worry. When you "place" an asset you are simply referencing it's GUID. You aren't actually taking possession of the object or texture. Nor are you claiming ownership of that asset. Use of non-default 3rd party assets without permission is a problem. You can't include the actual or and texture of a 3rd party asset without permission. The end-user would have to have that asset already installed, so it's not a best practice. And making money from the reference of someone else's intellectual property without permission might be seen as illegal.

It seems creating liveries of 3rd party aircraft is now seen as acceptable, but charging money for the liveries might be a bit over the line, as you'd be making money from someone else's property.

I remember a case of a restaurant that used a Disney character for it's name and used likenesses of their cartoon characters. Disney sued and ruined the business. It is conceivable that any company. corporation, or individual could sue over any remote commercial usage of their property. Lawsuits can ruin you even if they are without merit, even if they lose the lawsuit, even if your use is perfectly legal.

All the above said, FSDeveloper and it's members ae not your legal counsel. If in doubt, see a lawyer.

Country
canada
OK thanks for your answers great info on the GUID referencing and how it works!
I might stick with freeware, not really happy about someone going after me because i used a picture of a fan blade or a model of a bus or basically something totally silly and minuscule.:rolleyes:
Just looking at some of the stuff available at market place is really sub-par even compared to what I make and sells for $15+ and all though my work is far from some professional designers many things I see are well overpriced for their respective quality IMHO, so I though hey lets jump on and sell my stuff for $8.99 LOL but yeah looking into it idk that it is worth taking the risk.
I think keeping my work free and that will be my way of giving back to the community, as I myself seldom get payware stuff and therefore offering my work free will make myself feel all worm and fuzzy on the inside and pat myself on the back for it. 😂😂😂

Country
germany
Well, there are at least 10 sceneries sold every week for msfs alone that include some form of logo etc. Not sure but the flightsim scene would have to stop developing if everything needs some kind of permission. Where is the beginning, where the end? The airport building itself could be seen as some form of artwork from architect xyc.

Im not sure how many developers, lets say of EDDM, asked SIXT and Lufthansa for permission for the big advertising. Or the developer of a RKSI asked ASIANA, Korea Air or whatever logos are on the terminal buildings.

Or GSX dev asking every single company of the world from the ground vehicles if he can use the logos and fonts. I just cant believe that... Or the gates. So many different logos of banks all over the world, or car rent companies and whatnot.

But sure, im not the one who is trying to get you into trouble. I have asked the owners for the airfield i do and everyone was fine. But thats small local companies, cant be compared.

Besides that, im not so sure if some of those companies would even differentiate between payware and freeware.... basically your spreading other ppls work. So we all have to stop doing what we do if everything is that harsh in the flightsim world.
Also those companies often pay the airport to be on there, so they would have to pay us if we make advertising for them...

Just to be sure, that is only what i think, has no legal meaning in any way. I know it can be weird, i work in the web-dev sector..... and seen most things. THis is just what i see on the hundres of airports i own. I doubt they all asked for logos. Maybe they have of course, i dont know.

Another factor to consider is support. Once you accept someone's money, you own them support service. Sometimes that may mean bug fixes. Shouldn't be a big deal, but it sounds like you're just starting out. If you start with freeware, you can determine whether the developer hobby is your bag, and you'll have a sense for your customers and their desires.

Country
canada
Another factor to consider is support. Once you accept someone's money, you own them support service. Sometimes that may mean bug fixes. Shouldn't be a big deal, but it sounds like you're just starting out. If you start with freeware, you can determine whether the developer hobby is your bag, and you'll have a sense for your customers and their desires.
Yeah I made couple other airport released as freeware, i am enjoying it more of a hobby was very little support ask of me but i agree once i charge for it i am kinda responsible to resolve issues.

I was just looking more into get some reimbursement for hour upon hours of work that goes into it, in one case as an example i spent 5 hours painting a bus, when it comes to my home country airport it is easy i take camera go make some pictures off i go LOL, in case of the airport I am making now it is very hard to find any usable images and i cannot simply go outside and and make some pictures LOL.

I will sleep on it, lots of time till i am done then i decide,.

My main concern was that i might be using something small in my scenery like for example above mentioned bus that i did not design myself, simply lower polys and slapped a paint job on it, then i have someone come after me that i used their bus or car or whatever minor object that in fact i did not design 3d model myself...

so yeah... definitely not looking to support myself out of making scenery

Country
us-newyork
I also have the same case. B2B lead generation is a lot different than B2C lead generation by Belkins' B2B lead generation, and it's important to understand what you need to do in order to generate high quality leads. You can't just post your content on social media and expect people to magically come knocking at your door. If you want more b2b leads and spam tests, then you need to know how the process works so that you're able to get them! This blog post will go over the basics of b2b lead gen so that you have a better understanding of what needs doing before generating high-quality prospects for your business.

Last edited: