• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX manually editing the default.xml to add new models

Country
us-ohio
Hi,
I followed the SDK tutorial for adding models to the default autogen.xml up until the point where my AUTOGEN EDITOR will not work.
After reading/wrapping my head around this way of manually editing the default.xml file, I am stuck at a point.....
I already have made the models (lights) and the are already in a .bgl file

I have placed the "lights".bgl into addon scenery and the textures into "texture" folder

I have a txt doc, created when i made the lights library.

Screenshot_10.jpg

as far as i know these are the GUIDS associated with the names of the light models.
I see in MCX there is a guid converter,

I am stuck at which ones i need to put in the default.xml file when editing it manually.

Do I convert these into (from fs2004 guids) to the FSX versions? Like so?

Screenshot_1.jpg

I see in the .xml file that most of the guids look like the first version, not the FSX style guid.

Screenshot_2.jpg

This is where i am stuck.
Could someone help clearify this for me as I am (after 4 years) finally getting close to the carrot dangling in front of my nose. :D

Country
us-ohio
another thing I failed to notice as I was writing this is where do I get a class - Name -Guid??

Screenshot_3.jpg

Thanks for reading, any help here would be awsome!!!!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The default.xml file indeed uses the FS2004 style GUIDs, so you don't need to convert them.

The class name and class GUID are something you have to assign. So make a new random GUID and give your class a clear name :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Just like you make a new guid for a model. Use a guid generator to give you a new random one.

Country
us-ohio
Hello,
I edited the default.xml file with this edit, but after saving it, I open it as and get this error. Do I have to add this section under all regions too?
xml problem.jpg

This is the error

xml error.jpg

Thanks for looking, thanks for your help!! I think im almost there!

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Is Windows still configured with Windows Explorer (aka "My Computer" or "Computer" and Windows' default dialog file browsers) Menu > View -or- Control Panel > Folder Options ...set to default, such that file extensions are not being displayed in Windows Explorer or Windows' default dialog file browsers ? :scratchch

https://www.google.com/#q="Connot+view+XML+input+using+XSL+style+sheet"++"A+name+was+started+with+an+invalid+character"

If so, I would recommend enabling display of the full file name and extension in the title bar of task Windows capable of doing so to help avoid such errors, and that you generally not rely on Windows default "Open With" 'file associations' invoked via double-clicking in file lists of file browse dialogs (including Windows Explorer).

I would recommend using NotePad++ (aka "NP++" -or- "NPP"), Context or similar natively compatible text processors capable of properly displaying / editing XML files, instead of Windows NotePad, and that you only manually open XML files in order to edit them with those text editors (...rather than double-clicking XML files). :idea:

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

http://www.contexteditor.org/index.php

PS: Note that although there are several other varieties of XML file formats used in the FS SDK, and some of them, IIRC, may not be saved as "UTF-16", FS install path > Autogen > Default.XML does <-require ?- > 'allow' for use of- the UTF-16 encoding format. :pushpin:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/installing-custom-autogen-configuration.428760/page-2

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
Thanks Gary. I have notepad++ up, so what could the red colored words mean, appearantly theres a problem, but I have no clue what to do next with this.

Screenshot_4.jpg

thanks!!

EDIT:
Found the source of the red errors. simple missed ">"
thanks!!

EDIT:
Still after fixing the error and saving, it will not open and still has error when opening.
I cant find the problem now, as there is no "red" text in the editor telling error.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

What error message does NotePad++ throw when attempting to (manually) open your edited copy of the [FS install path]\Autogen\Default.XML file ? :scratchch

You may wish to paste the XML code for your edited copy of the [FS install path]\Autogen\Default.XML file into this XML validator for a syntax check: ;)

http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_validator.asp

Note that for [FS install path]\Autogen\Default.XML there is no local context "external" XML schema (ex: a XSD or DTD file) utilized, so just paste the code in and click "check XML" button to perform a check of (only) the XML 'syntax'.

FS SDK BGLComp XML source code, however, does have a paired BGLComp.XSD which can also be used for validating those (different) types of XML source files if, for example one is repairing a mangled BGLComp XML file ...via a tool such as this one:

https://www.xmlvalidation.com/

Hope this helps a bit more ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
Hi again,
I am really quite unfamiliar with .xml, but I can tell you this, The only lines I added - or that are different from the working default.xml are the ones right here at the beginning, I have highlighted. Unless there is something going on with these lines - there should be nothing else wrong with it, Thats whats got me perplexed - I am only using the guidelines from the sdk and examples from portions of other parts of the xml as a guide to what it should look like

Screenshot_5.jpg

Thats it! this is all I added, can anyone find a bad line or an error, because - even after editing it with notepad++ and saving - it still says there is some error, but i cant see any difference between the other parts(other lines) and what I have written here. this is really confusing.

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...ult-xml-to-add-new-models.439147/#post-762520

Hi again,

I am really quite unfamiliar with .xml, but I can tell you this, The only lines I added - or that are different from the working default.xml are the ones right here at the beginning, I have highlighted. Unless there is something going on with these lines - there should be nothing else wrong with it, Thats whats got me perplexed - I am only using the guidelines from the sdk and examples from portions of other parts of the xml as a guide to what it should look like

That's it! this is all I added, can anyone find a bad line or an error, because - even after editing it with notepad++ and saving - it still says there is some error, but I cant see any difference between the other parts(other lines) and what I have written here. This is really confusing.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...ult-xml-to-add-new-models.439147/#post-762517

Hi again:

What error message does NotePad++ throw when attempting to (manually) open your edited copy of the [FS install path]\Autogen\Default.XML file ?

IIUC from what you have described (again), NotePad++ continues to report errors after editing your working copy of the [FS install path]\Autogen\Default.XML file; please post a screen capture of the error message(s) and attach any such image(s) to a reply to this thread. :pushpin:

Also, if you would please paste into a reply to this thread, the actual "text" copied from NotePad++ (and not 'Windows NotePad' as seen in your latter screenshot above) which is highlighted in blue for your custom "XML elements" that you edited into your working copy of the [FS install path]\Autogen\Default.XML file ...it would help us help you better. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
At first glance, your last <LIBRARYOBJECT> tag is missing a / in order to close it.

P.S: If manually building the default.xml is to much of a hassle for you, you can edit a copy of the default using the AutoGen Editor in the P3D SDK. (The FSX version does not work). It also automatically validates any default.xml you load and reports errors.

Country
us-ohio
This is what I think you mean, if you need a different screenshot, I can do that too. this is all i have to show, unless i'm missing something
Screenshot_6.jpg

Screenshot_7.jpg

Screenshot_8.jpg

Country
us-ohio
Mousy you apparently hit the nail on the head, as soon as i added that character, the script became working, at least it opens like the unedited one does.

Now off to the races!

I will report back with results, THANK YOU ALL for helping me out. VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Country
us-illinois
At first glance, your last <LIBRARYOBJECT> tag is missing a / in order to close it.

P.S: If manually building the default.xml is too much of a hassle for you, you can edit a copy of the default using the AutoGen Editor in the P3D SDK. (The FSX version does not work). It also automatically validates any default.xml you load and reports errors.

Hi Mousy:

Although the OP has indicated elsewhere that his KDAY project is intended for the P3Dv3.x version of FS, this thread is labeled as pertinent to FSX.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/work-in-progress-kday.433583/

Bearing in mind that one would otherwise be compelled to utilize the MS-FSX SDK or LM-P3Dv1.4 SDK for FSX development, and because I don't develop for P3D (yet), after reading prior threads on issues of reportedly different functionality for MSFS vs. LM-P3D SDK Autogen Editor:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/autogen-editor-instant-crash.438705/

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/autogen-editor-and-region-problem.429635/

...I'm therefore rather curious as to whether you have seen any difference in functionality of: :scratchch

* LM-P3Dv1.4 SDK Autogen Editor compared to the original MS-FSX SP2 SDK ?

* LM-P3Dv1.4 SDK Autogen Editor compared to the LM-P3Dv3.x SDK Autogen Editor ?

Thanks in advance for sharing any further information you may have with regard to functionality issues with the above versions of Autogen Editor. :)

PS: The OP may also wish to perform a more detailed validation of the FS default.xml file and all defined objects therein ...via use of: :idea:

[FS SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Autogen SDK\AC2Scan.exe

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526979.aspx#AutogenValidationTools

GaryGB

Country
us-ohio
Thanks Gary, Ill takea look at this here in a little bit. I have about 5 different projects going full blast 24/7 so I like to break up my working cycle by alternating between them. I am developing for both FSX and P3Dv3+, and so far everything i have made works the same on both sims. I mainly use FSX for testing, and P3D for when I really want to fly seriously. But as of now thats the goal. I just spent the last 8 hours, replacing every single taxiway texture and enhanced runway entrance texture on the whole airport, with better suited textures. I am everywhere, but I am focused.:coffee: