• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Mars

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
As George W. Bush stated:

"We're goin' to Mars!"

BoardingPass_MyNameOnInSight.png

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Congratulations!

Reading about current and future launches using Atlas and Centaur always make me feel like I've travelled back in time. Next thing you know, they'll be sending people to the moon!

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
The return flight is booked through the Martian authorities, who may be contacted via, er, um... :scratchch

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The current thinking is that the cosmic rays will probably kill everyone soon after landing. But, that saves NASA and the government lots of money.

The invite is for your name to be placed on a chip, and it will ride to the red planet. Again, cosmic rays will limit the life of your name on the planet. The last I read, the American flags on the moon have been bleached white by the radiation from the sun and the rest of the fusion reactors.

Country
us-arizona
I'll be taking the Tesla express... Hopefully they'll have gravity drive by then and can get there in 7 days instead of 6 months.

I thought Mars was 31M miles at closest point? Ive been working on figuring out a time table from Earth to Mars and cannot figure out how to calculate acceleration.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
33.9 million miles at closest approach, Bill, but the website with that figure said that hasn’t happened in recorded history. The average distance is 140 million miles. It’s a long way to go just to be killed by solar radiation.

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
Concrete (or similar) bunkers inside the craft protect you from gama storms, if one occurred. But, how do you get concrete things into space? Gravity drive...

If... you could just shield the vehicle with a 'field' that was able to block out gamma radiation, that would really help. I was watching a little video about a theory on gravity drive, where a mother ship, giant cylinder thing, would use a beam of light in front of it that had something to do with some powerful form of 'something' (I want to say anti matter or a light that was in the radiation ranges) that acted like a slip stream for the vehicle to ride in. I The person that made the video stated that the residual that flows past the hull at that great of speed shields the occupants, and that it wipes out things that could harm passengers inside.

I have read some good books on Zeta Reticuli and Arcturus people. First one about Zeta people (planet Serpo, also called Seeyou) where 10 USAF people were allowed to stay on their home world for 10 years in an exchange program, got there in 30 days. This was back in the early 60's. A group called the Tall Whites had (have) a base in Nevada (near Area 51 in a remote valley there) called Indian Springs (small town on the highway, their base is north of there. This is just NW of Vegas), take about 30 days also to get here from their home world, in the Arcturus star system. Both of these stars are 36 light years away. Thats 36 light years in 30 days.... 4 weeks. The Zeta people use something called 'wave flight' which sounds like a wave they have in front of them and the mother ship (star to star big ship vehicle thing) goes at all out speed in a wave. The wave flight mode had the American team very sick. They had one layover (break stop?) just over 2 weeks into the journey, then went back to speed again and arrived at Serpo.

The Tall Whites have long cylinder vehicles, flat tops I think, curved ends, and I have no idea how theirs work, but they tend to use light in their suits, (long story) so they might have light propulsion also. They too take the same amount of time. But.... This was back in the mid 60's. I heard recently that the Reticulans (not the greys, but the red skinned people, smaller eyes, still big though, and about 4 feet tall) are now down to 2 weeks travel time from Zeta/Serpo to Earth. I dont know if that is true.

Its interesting to hear these things. So many people claim to be whistle blowers. Some huge numbers now of people have worked with 'them' and are 'in the know' on things, so who knows..

Something else... The Tall Whites evidently need 5+ days to get to their cruising speed, continuous acceleration for days. I guess the same for deceleration.

Another bit of information on the Tall Whites. Supposedly they use our planet as a lay-over point for their trips through this area of space. Evidently our star is secluded from area's, so its like a big ocean with no islands around except us. They supposedly stop over for a 2 week layover, fuel and food, etc. In the 60's, they had one vehicle arrive usually, every 30 days. Was here for about 2 weeks, then was off again. Once, one arrived very late, perhaps a week or 2 late. When it arrived, it had a massive hole in the top, which was patched up with metal sheets. Something had slammed through it and exited out the bottom, or vice versa.

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
So... I have a question for you.. I have been playing around with ideas on getting to Mars. How... would one calculate accelleration and decelleration to figure out a speed and time frame for a jump? I had been working with the figure of 33.9 million miles and 7 days to make it with gravity drive, with 2 days to accelerate and 2 days to decelerate, how fast your speed would be at maximum for 3 days. You would need to figure out distance in those 2 (4 total) days in the speed to stop transitions.. I have looked in places online to figure out how to calculate this... I found nothing. Basically to figure out how to find figure our top speed you would need for a hop to Mars in 'X' number of days.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It's not really possible to travel straight to Mars. You'd want to remember that the Solar System is "Sol" centric and everything spins madly around the Sun to keep from falling in. Graphically, it is like a very deep tapered well, with each of the planets perched on the thinnest edge of a grove spinning around that well. To get to Mars, you'd want to spiral up - and you would want to calculate that your spirals came out pretty close to where the orbit places Mars, otherwise you've spent all that fuel, or gravity smiles or whatever you call them, for very little return; because, if you think about it, something in the same orbit as something else can't move toward that other object with accelerating or decelerating, thus breaking orbit. So, lot's of calculations and lot's of hoping. Now maybe these gravity ships work outside the known laws of physics and don't need to do spirals and yet these guys still bother getting up out of bed in the morning - which makes the entire thing a complete mystery to me. In a finite universe, where you'd have to burn fuel, you would have to spiral.
Anyway, getting home wouldn't be nearly so difficult - supposedly. All you'd want to do is slow down a bit and time your fall so the Earth is going by underneath. Only problem is, once you are in space, relativity kicks in and there is nothing to slow down against, like using brakes or a parachute or something. From your ship, it is like the entire universe is spinning around you and you actually have to cough up pretty much the same amount of energy to accelerate the opposite direction, in order to fall back down to the Earth.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Supposedly they use our planet as a lay-over point for their trips through this area of space.

A species that has mastered faster-than-light travel needs secret installations on a terran planet as a layover stop instead of, like, hiding in the Kuiper belt away from curious, alien low-lives like us. Book smart. I bet they'd sell us all their secrets for a sixpack and a shotgun.

How... would one calculate accelleration and decelleration to figure out a speed and time frame for a jump?

s=a*t² (Edit: I'm dumb. See Tom's post for the correct equation.)

S is distance, a is acceleration, t is time. Mind the units!

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
I have this fascination for saucers and 'gravity drive,' also called magnetic propulsion. Very fascinating 'field', pardon the pun.

54667867i56yh453.jpg

Some of my designs. Outside is terribly basic. White one is ceramic for super fast flight in-atmosphere, low altitude. One on the right is single passenger with pop-up cabin/window rim. Big one is a 'adventure' model for just flying around in, being able to tour countrysides, see the land, etc.

rtsha466t.jpg

Single passenger unit with removeable 'ejectable' passenger compartment. My theory or direction in this design is to make the engine a donut where the drive is around you and you are in the center. Usually, it seems, you need 'things' in the center to have a balanced 'gravity drive'. The 'things' and energy emmanate (usually) from the center core. This would bypass that.

iearber.jpg

This is the one man concept. Short version Tesla coil (2 sections, flat and tall cylinder coils), twin gyro discs, mercury toroid that is tall, tall tank. Impulsers around the perimeter for horizontal steering/thrusting.

Country
us-arizona
This is another concept, where I try to have a donut for the engine, leaving the center core empty (as much as possible, for use by the crew).

593r.jpg

49584958r.jpg

Chrome tube is Mercury in a toroid tube. This is a crazy design because I blend in the magnets and things into the gyro rings. Its like... how could you do that???? But, what if you could..

pgjqp3erg.jpg

White dish thing (top left) is a cabin compartment. It is fitted into the core center of the engine. The plate gizmos are magnetic plates for horizontal propulsion. The razor looking disc is two gyro discs, one atop the other, rotating in opposite directions which cancel out gyro issues and supposedly help to create 'torsion waves' when against each other. The idea for this one also is so you could raise up the hull, drop the engine ring out the belly to work on it, then lift it back up into the aero shell and bolt it back in.

Country
us-arizona
This is my concept for 'Field Augmentation' where you could curve and re-shape the field of the vehicle. In this case, the field inside the craft is stretched out around the crew area, so that you can have the center area for people only, the equipment and engine is in the outer perimeter. This is basically a rendering sketch only, and only depicts flux filaments or flux strands. The point is the very center area, where it makes a bubble inside the craft.

09t03pogjpeoirg.jpg

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I bet they'd sell us all their secrets for a sixpack and a shotgun.
I've been informed, on good authority, that it started with the transistor and most recently the anyon, although it probably goes back much further - and the transactionable intel covers anything that can't be derived by sparking two brain cells together, which would pretty much encompass everything up to and including both book and strike anywhere matches. Pretty sure fire was an alien low-life/human original, but just like the theory of evolution, no one remains to provide a definitive account. The upside is that they are far too sophisticated to isolate only two brain cells, so that invites an abundance of alien low-life generated raw and emotive entertainment and participation. I distinctly remember once, as a boy, being recruited to manipulate a screwdriver in an operation that was akin to changing a dash board illumination light and thinking at the time, "they can fly between the stars, yet they can't change a simple light bulb," so, I suppose the lesson is that everything is relative. Plus there's the gooble box.