• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Marseille Provence Airport - LFML

Country
france
Hello there, :)

Here is a project I have been working on full time for the last three months. Firstly I have to thank everybody here involved in tutorials about scenery creation. Here in the FsDeveloper forums (and Wiki), I learned many things, including one of the most important things for a good looking scenery: how to create a high quality airport ground. Thanks a lot guys!

Now, back to the scenery: Marseille is a very important city in France, and its airport is ranked 4th. No payware scenery of it was made for FSX, it was a pity for such a nicely located mediterranean airport.
Many things are still to be done, but everything is coming out quite nicely.
This will be my first payware project.

Now on to the previews (work in progress of course. Many details still to be implemented like shadows under jetways, etc.) ;) :

zsk9dhz.jpg

z25VuqQ.jpg

dXSiHPZ.jpg

kg709ek.jpg

ps3A7mg.jpg

Best regards,

Thomas

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Will you be making a version for... FS9, FS2002, FS2000, FS98?

Sorry, thought I'd beat all the lurkers to the punch! :D

Looks pretty darn good!

NGX

Country
germany
Thomas,

how do you manage the difference of the altitude between the Airport (approax. 8 m) and the touch down zone of RWY 13L which is on a barrage in the sea (so close to sea level)?

With the default scenery it looks very ugly and far away from the reality as you have there a slope from 8 m to sea level in a very small area.

Last edited:
Country
france
Hi NGX,

The altitude is indeed a problem at Marseille. By default, the Etang de Berre (the "lagoon" where the barrage is located) is way bellow sea level :eek:, while it should be at 0. That's why you have the ugly cliffs there. What I did is that i raised the sea and lowered the airport ( as the entire airport in FSX was put at 74 ft without a slope). But then I had other cliffs in the land side. With a slope flatten at the extremity of the airport I could get rid of these cliffs.
So until now what I did is a compromise to make the scenery look like its real counterpart. I will try to create a true slope flatten on the entire airport, and see if there are some limitations to this technique.

Hope this helps :)

Country
france
Hi folks,

Here are more previews of the scenery with much more details than in previous screenshots. I also worked extensively on night textures. The ground textures still lack many details like cracks, more dirt, etc.
When the main terminal is done (still many things to be added), the next step will be the cargo area, the Eurocopter zone (with its numerous buildings) and the old "Boussiron" sheds on the other side of the airport.
I try to optimize the scenery as much as possible, and it's working as expected: very little drop in FPS ;)

Now on to the shots:

ATjkvtq.jpg

dYPuaDv.jpg

JPojcKR.jpg

ZD6O830.jpg

LNaHmdY.jpg

6oeh3id.jpg

iNL9tMt.jpg

CJWCtVV.jpg

sVQCKvA.jpg

P6YJc3Q.jpg

FW5c5Al.jpg

PEYZsfi.jpg

Cheers ;)

Last edited:
C'est formidable, Thomas.

I will be flying into Marseille in about 4 weeks time. When are you planning to release a Beta version? I'm happy to try to take some photos while I'm there if you need any more?

Del

Country
france
Hi Del,

Thanks a lot for your very kind offer about the photos :) but I think that I will be done with the main buildings before 4 weeks time :D . I also did an extensive overview of LFML before starting design, and I could gather many hundred of photos. Progress is going on very nicely, the cargo area is 80% done, and then next week will be the huge Eurocopter complex + the Sécurité Civile buildings turn.
The Beta version release to the beta testers still has no precise date :eek:

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Country
france
Hi Folks,

Here is an update :)
The Cargo zone is done (TNT, Chronopost, France Handling, etc.), Work has begun on the Eurocopter and Sécutité Civile buildings. I can now say that 75 % of the work is done. Once the Eurocopter buildings are over, I will do the Boussiron shelter and its few annexes. And then the small buildings around the huge Freight shelter (which needs to be corrected).
The ground detail is also 70% done, and only a one day work is left on it.
The jetways will be redone as i'm not too happy with the result.

The low cost MP2 terminal:
2UIKNV9.jpg

Ground detail:
hZwXVjQ.jpg

Cargo area in front of stand 81:
IrstO9u.jpg

The other side:
m7wfJww.jpg

Overview:
gO8h0gN.jpg

Handling operator's buildings:
m7BVfgr.jpg

Night ambiance:
EZaH3No.jpg

J83wr5M.jpg

1EAsxml.jpg

sKVCeBA.jpg

koeivLb.jpg

Next preview when the Eurocopter zone is done ;)

Cheers!

Country
france
Nice work, dude...especially the night ambience(i love the chronopost). It may become a must have if you can improve the airbridges.
I'll buy it for sure.

Hi,

I flew into Marseille several times (well, not me because I was just on board a regional liner) and of course never noticed the sloped runway and neither from outside the airplane.
So why not forget all the hassle about trying to slope the runway and all the rest and make sure there is some decent AI. Otherwise it will be a desolate one and not real life like at all.
It looks fine just as it is and I do not see any cliffs in your screenshots.
Maybe you should focus on some traffic in the area?

Roby (Robert pour les femmes:))

Country
france
Keep up the good work, Thomas. Nice shots.

As for the slope runway, i think it might be difficult, especially if Thomas want to get full compatibility with third part sceneries like France VFR. Marseille airport is known to have a trickt relief.
Dom
ADX

Country
france
Thanks a lot for your comments ! :)
Slope is indeed a problem, especially when dealing with Ai traffic, so I won't do it (it's hardly noticeable on the real airport anyway). The most important thing was to get rid of the cliffs on both sides of the airport. Those were really painfull :banghead:
Marseille is a great airport when it comes to commercial traffic. You get airlines from all over Europe, North Africa, the Indian Ocean, the Near East, and many very interesting cargo carriers (some with Russian-Ukrainian metal ;) ) With a good Ai Traffic add-on, LFML can be really busy.

Cheers;)

Country
france
Hello raam123,

Sorry for the time it took for another update. Well, the good news is that release is not too far away ;)
In order not to flood this topic with too much screens, here is a link to AirDailyX latest news about the scenery: http://airdailyx.blogspot.fr/2013/07/jetstream-designs-marseille-provence.html
As you can see, the entire Eurocopter zone has been done, as well as the landside area with hotels, car parks, etc. The ground textures have been redone, and i have added 3D taxiway lights. The jetways have also been redesigned (not shown on the pics). And still no drop in FPS ;)
Last but not least, much attention has been put on the night atmosphere of the airport.
The next step is to add many ground vehicles to the area.

Best regards,