• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Mass texture converter error

Country
us-texas
Arno,
I'm using MCX to convert a simple scenery object I created in sketchup for use in FS9. The scenery object uses two texture files, a jpg and a bmp. When I try to use the mass texture converter to convert the textures to DXTBMP I keep getting an error message saying "could not find file texture0.mip". When I "load" the resulting bgl into fs9 all of the textures are missing. If I then go into flightsim and manually convert the texture files with dxtbmp, then the textures will display, so I assume MCX is not processing them. I am using the latest release BTW.

Thanks,
rpm.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

When you load your SketchUp model into ModelConverterX you see the textures correctly in the preview?

I think the issue is that something is going wrong when ModelConverterX calls ImageTool to convert the images to DXT BMP files. Do you see any new textures created in the folder you indicated when you use the Mass Texture Editor?

Country
australia
Hi guys,
I cannot get the Mass Texture Converter to update my textures. It tells me there is an unhandled exception and says it can't find the texture in the nominated folder and ends with a '.mip' extension. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to work. Is there a fix or a work around available. The model is displayed fine when first imported and the textures show up in the Mass Texture Converter but it just won't convert them to the DMTBMP file which FS9 reads.

BTW the Image Tool is Model Maker SDK right?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Did you setup the path to ImageTool correctly in the options? You can find ImageTool in the Terrain SDK. It sounds like something goes wrong when ImageTool is called to make the DXT BMP files.

There was a similar report some time ago, but I have not found a fix yet. It could be that the different versions of ImageTool behave slightly different. If you have any extra information to fix this that would be very useful.

Country
australia
Hi Arno

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what the Image Tool is or what the Terrain SDK is either. I am new to scenery design and I am trying to understand how all this works. If you can tell me where to find Terrain SDK that would help. I have managed to get my model framework into FS9 just no textures show on it. I think I dont have the Image tool path correct, maybe. Thanks for your assistance.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hi,

Did you setup the path to ImageTool correctly in the options? You can find ImageTool in the Terrain SDK. It sounds like something goes wrong when ImageTool is called to make the DXT BMP files.

There was a similar report some time ago, but I have not found a fix yet. It could be that the different versions of ImageTool behave slightly different. If you have any extra information to fix this that would be very useful.

Arno,...

Are you referring that the imagetool for fs9 and fsx are different? I would think a simple check would be the fix.. In MCX you do ask in options what format your using... is this what your having a problem with or did I read into this wrong?

After taken a looksy at imagetool for both FS9 and FSX,... they are different. Arno, I wonder if adding the location of each of them is in order? Call upon them when necessary?

Hi Arno

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what the Image Tool is or what the Terrain SDK is either. I am new to scenery design and I am trying to understand how all this works. If you can tell me where to find Terrain SDK that would help. I have managed to get my model framework into FS9 just no textures show on it. I think I dont have the Image tool path correct, maybe. Thanks for your assistance.

Glen,...

The SDK version your looking for is located here in the Download section for FS9... http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=37

That's the Terrain SDK for FS9. You want to make sure MCX points to the imagetool within.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Doug,

I was more referring to the fact that they might take different command line options, that could give trouble. I always assumed they took the same options. Let me do some testing with that.

To the thread starter. Please make sure ImageTool is on your system and the path is setup correctly in ModelConverterX. That will probably fix the issues. I will also see if I can make a better message when ImageTool is not found.

Country
spain
Hi!
I've had the same error and this is as simple as installing the terrain SDK and telling MCX the right path to it.
Thanks for the help!