• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Master Switch not functioning

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

Oddly, my master switch is no longer functioning. I hold the mouse over the button but the mouse finger symbol doesnt appear. The other night, two nights ago, it actually worked, but I never saw the hand/finger symbol.

Anyone know what this might be? The scale is proper, there is no animation, and the name tag (FS2004 system) is correct.

Bill

I get this sometimes. Where the edge of the part will click and the face of the part would not work. But i knew it worked 2 days ago and it did this during my last
project as well. But what's funny is the part would work by the time i finished the project.

I blame it on testing. Like when i export only the panel. very strange.

I think your part is working and another part is now in the way or somthing like this.

Oh this is on fs2004....hmm

DG:speanut:

Last edited:
Hey DG,

I think your part is working and another part is now in the way or somthing like this.

DG

Nope.. Only one part with this name and number, or name for that matter. It should work. It has 2 similar switches next to it, and they work fine.

When I say work, I do not have it animated, but it should turn on the main electrics systems off and on. It will not even show a mouse cursor over it. However, the rest of the parts work in the parts XML sheet, so it seems to have allowed the part code to 'flow' but the part itself will not function per the Mouse section...

Here is the FS2004 Gmax XML Part code.

Code:
<part>
	<name>avelina_switch_master</name>
	<animation>
		<parameter>
			<sim>
				<variable>ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY</variable>
				<units>bool</units>
				<scale>50</scale>
			</sim>
			<lag>400</lag>
		</parameter>
	</animation>

<mouserect>
		<cursor>Hand</cursor>
		<help_id>HELPID_GAUGE_BATTERY_SWITCH</help_id>
                                <tooltip_text>Primary Power (%((A:Avionics Master Switch,enum))%{case}%{:0}On)%{:1}Off)%{End}</tooltip_text>
      <callback_code>
               (>K:TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY)
               (>K:TOGGLE_AVIONICS_MASTER)
               1 (&gt;L:XMLSND136,enum)
      </callback_code>
	</mouserect>
</part>

Unstaggered;

<part>
<name>avelina_switch_master</name>
<animation>
<parameter>
<sim>
<variable>ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY</variable>
<units>bool</units>
<scale>50</scale>
</sim>
<lag>400</lag>
</parameter>
</animation>

<mouserect>
<cursor>Hand</cursor>
<help_id>HELPID_GAUGE_BATTERY_SWITCH</help_id>
<tooltip_text>Primary Power (%((A:Avionics Master Switch,enum))%{case}%{:0}On)%{:1}Off)%{End}</tooltip_text>
<callback_code>
(>K:TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY)
(>K:TOGGLE_AVIONICS_MASTER)
1 (&gt;L:XMLSND136,enum)
</callback_code>
</mouserect>
</part>

Any idea's? This should work... Funny enough, it used to. I dont know what I did to it to not function.

When you say the "scale is correct," is it really? Have you opened the Track View to verify?

Several years ago I ran into this problem and had to add an X-Form modifier, click Reset Scale, then convert back to e-poly to get the mouse working again.

It took me weeks to figure that one out!

Ahh... Thanks Bill. I'll check it out. The reason I say its correct is that it compiles perfect, no warnings on scale.

Off to experiment.

Reset Scale, X-Formed, returned to E-Poly, nada...

This is really odd. I am going to recreate the code. It must be something in the script that we are not seeing.

Thanks though for the help.

Bill

Some very wierd findings.

I created a fresh, new script block for this. Was slow and careful. This didnt work.

I then decided to link it to the basic stock 'switch_master_battery' tag, and low and behold, that didnt work either, which means its part/mesh related. I had even redone the scale and X-Form.

That thing is so nice. I dont want to rebuild it...

Ack....

I think it happened when I scaled it, a backing plate, and two similar smaller buttons with a 4 point FFD transform cage. arrgh.. Oddly, the other two work fine, but the main button does not.

I am going to see if I can create a small cube, pull a copy of the mesh (clone the poly's) and attach them to the cube and name that. It 'might' work....

Bill

Well, the clone didnt work. So I built a new button from scratch over the old one in wire frame view. Finished it. Deleted the old one. Tagged the name, Reset Scale, etc. Exported to MDL, wouldnt work. No mouse, etc..

I think maybe I hit my limit on Animated 'parts' in the plane, lol.... arrgh.

Bill

All I can say is that in FS, I am blessed with many, many, MANY... obstacles. For over two days now, focused on getting this dang switch to work.

Today, realized other parts aren't working in cockpit. Isolated scripts for custom master switch (malfunctioning) and export test model, all works now. I fix code and re-export model, still not working. Many exports and trials later, I have a test model that has the switch working with the arrow on the very edge of the button. I figure it must be a Normals error and its reading the polygons inside out, even though they are not. I realign the Normals. Nada....

I bang my head on the desk and stair at the screen a long time. (I have heard it works with Gmax). It doesn't work.

I break the button face into two parts. Nada.....

I create a flat Polygon part, clear Scale, hover over the button, attach same name tag, apply invisible texture/material, export. NADA......!

Why????? Why can't the little fancy master button work?????? WHY?

Stressed eyebrows. I must take them into the shop for a massage and destressing.

This may be a completely unconnected problem, but I have observed strange behaviour related to the battery master before.

When I've had Ultimate Traffic 2 installed, my master battery switches have no effect. The battery power is always on, regardless of whether the switch is in the on or off position.

I know this doesn't mimick your problem, but considering it appears that there's some issue with the battery system that may be a bug brought to light by whatever UT2 does, it could be a hint. You might want to disable or remove any complex add-ons that are running SimConenct clients.

Si

Hi,

The problem with UT2 (and all other AI aircraft) is that if they have this line in the cfg file:

electric_always_available=1

Then your aircraft will be affected as well and such switches no longer work properly.

Hope this helps,

I do have some code scripts that do manipulate the Master and Avionics. To replicate a full battery depletion, when fuel is at zero, the Avionics and Battery are turned off.

I noted that my arrow disappears if I share the Toggle Master Batter and Toggle Avionics Master together, so I think they cannot be in the same script. I am about to spend more time on this 'damn button' (I renamed it) and see if that is so.

I am also going to see if I can put a different tag on it and if the mesh can run it. If so, then it is the 'damn button' script that is effecting it.

I am also going to create a 3rd generation 'damn button' to see if that mesh will work.

If none of that works, then I need to sprinkle holy water on the screen, fast for 3 days or more, and see if that helps.

The hard part about all of this is that it uses the ULE export system, which a full export is 15+ min's. If I export only the one section, then its a few less min's, but making test planes all day can pay its toll and the cost of time is overwhelming.

damn button....

Last edited:
LOLOLOLOL..... I found it.

It was the 'damn invisible nodes' I had hovering in the middle of the cockpit which intersect the clickzone of said 'damn button'.

lololol.... ARGH... How I hate it when such simple issues hide and block progress on a project.. How much is the cost...

Ahhh... Just compiled a fixed plane. Click the button (no longer referred to or tagged as 'damn button' ), and it blips off the systems, and the sound effect occurs, all in rythmic, utter beauty... :rolleyes:

ooooooooooo how sweet it is when things WORK!!!!

I think I had 30 node boxes there. I had to go to Vertice mode and move each one, reclear its Scale, and repeat, 30 times. I had the Exterior node, sub platforms, landing gear node (for dancing between exporting a fixed and retractable gear version set), etc, etc.... All could 'not' be moved, so I had to displace their Poly mass instead, retaining their Gizmo dimensional location in the FS universe so that the plane didnt suddenly become a mess of parts all dislocated in a pile like a plane unpainted in FSX...

<-- smiling. I think my eyebrows will be able to rest now tonight.

I'm happy you found the problem finally. I know just how frustrating it can be when "stuff happens" and you simply can't figure it out.

I put all my "control nodes" at 0,0,0 so they simply can't get in the way. Ever.

I'm happy you found the problem finally. I know just how frustrating it can be when "stuff happens" and you simply can't figure it out.

I put all my "control nodes" at 0,0,0 so they simply can't get in the way. Ever.

Hey Bill,

Roger that. I believe I did put the cubes at zero zero zero. The problem was that they were invisible in Gmax with the 'invisible material' so I never realised what I had done. And funny enough, I could reach around the very edges of the cubes without realizing it, and get it to work every now and then, lol... Talk about ultra paradox obstacles that could ever possibly happen in building a plane for FS, lol...

Fuel for the gray... Fuel for the eyebrows...

Back