• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Max 2017 & PBR Materials

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I have recently (as in a week ago) had to begin working on projects using P3Dv4.4 PBR Materials. However, in my Max 2017 none of the PBR albedo textures are being used in the Max Viewport, which makes further work exceedingly difficult!

Has anyone a clue as to what I need to do to get this working properly?

CT5Cd.png

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Nice yoke.
Yeah, it's even nicer when one can see the darn textures! It looked quite lovely with the old-fashioned .P3D Materials using .tga, .bmp. png or .psd textures... <grrr!>

Country
pakistan
I had a similar issue with Max 2017 where using PBR textures caused the script window to open with an error. The albedo texture would show up as white. What I did was go to Customize> Preferences> Viewports and changed the driver from Nitrous Direct3D 9 to Nitrous Direct3D 11. This fixed the issue for me.

Your problem could be related to this.
Screenshot_24.jpg

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Thanks. My issue was a bit more complicated, but between your hint and that of two gentlemen from SOH, I've now got full color textures again! :cool:

I didn't have the DX Mode option showing in my Max 2017 until I followed the steps below:

attachment.php

After a few minute of Google-Fu, I learned that I could use the Start Menu to change the driver from here:

attachment.php

This then launched Max 2017 and it only listed "Nitrous DX9" as the active driver in the Preferences/Viewports tab. When I closed Max 2017 and re-launched it, I now had "Nitrous DX11" as the active driver.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
To report the solution that worked for me, I got this from Andras in the Prepar3D forums:
Andras post_id=194309 time=1551567314 user_id=556 said:
Ideally you need to change both the "production" and "material editor" renderers to Quicksilver hardware renderer.
If you don't do that for the second one, you will only see almost empty, white preview boxes or spheres in the compact material editor.
Thank you Andras. In my case the switch to Quicksilver in both production and material editor solved my problem. :)

Note: Press F10 to open the Render Settings dialogue, go all the way to the bottom and set both production and material editor to Quicksilver:

CVIQT.png