• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Max: Animations disappear when using "Prepar3D Tools Animation Manager" with imported .FBX

Hi,
I've got an issue in Max when assigning animations with the Animation Manager.

When I assign animations directly to an animated imported model the animations disappear or gets cut after I press "Create".

But if I animate the model in Max and then assigns the animations it works fine.

Any ideas?
Is there an issue with the number of keys?

The test I did consisted of a simple rudder animation with 0-100 keys and only rotation.

I'm using 3DS MAX 2018 and the latest "Prepar3D Tools" Plugin.

Best,
iko

I dont understand your issue.

Are you turning on animation mode, where the key frames bar turns red, and animating your parts then?
You must turn on the Animation Manager and put in your key frames and also the proper name from the animations list. If its a door for instance, it must have the correct amount of key frames entered or it will either malfunction (if the numbers arent right) or not move, if there are no numbers entered. For a door, for instance, its 0 thru 100. If you put 0 50, then only half the animation will show up in the simulator.

If your parts have been rescaled and you are testing in FSX instead of P3D, then your parts will not work. Reset their Scale, reexport and recheck. Should work then.

Animation mode must be on so your key frames have 'start and stop'. Just moving parts will not create a animation. Animation mode must be on.

One thing I learned to do is to click on the 'Animation' modes tab on the right hand panel (far right panel) and click on Position and Rotation tabs when needed so its officially locked in.

Hope that helps.

I dont understand your issue.

Are you turning on animation mode, where the key frames bar turns red, and animating your parts then?
You must turn on the Animation Manager and put in your key frames and also the proper name from the animations list. If its a door for instance, it must have the correct amount of key frames entered or it will either malfunction (if the numbers arent right) or not move, if there are no numbers entered. For a door, for instance, its 0 thru 100. If you put 0 50, then only half the animation will show up in the simulator.

If your parts have been rescaled and you are testing in FSX instead of P3D, then your parts will not work. Reset their Scale, reexport and recheck. Should work then.

Animation mode must be on so your key frames have 'start and stop'. Just moving parts will not create a animation. Animation mode must be on.

One thing I learned to do is to click on the 'Animation' modes tab on the right hand panel (far right panel) and click on Position and Rotation tabs when needed so its officially locked in.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for your reply.

When I create the animation in Max I use the "Auto key" mode (key frame bar turns red). But that's not my main problem.

My main problem is that I want to animate in another software (Modo) and import the model with animations to Max and then assign the animations and export.

When export and importing .FBX the animations gets baked(key frames on all frames). Might that be the problem?
Or do I have to do all of the animations in Max?

hairyspin

Resource contributor
The .FBX import might not support animations or you might not have ticked the correct boxes in either export from Modo or import into Max. All animations must be reduced to linear keyframes before exporting from Max to the sim anyway.

I don’t know Modo, but Max has excellent tools for building animations if you have to redo them in Max.

Thanks. I'll have to do some more tests before I can narrow down the issues.
First I need to understand how to export the landing gears correctly since they are a little more complex than to select the animated mesh, animation and key frame interval.

What might be the problem if some of my animated meshes rotate correctly while other do not?
It looks correct in Max (imported and baked from Modo) but in Prepared only some meshes rotate correctly. I've double checked that it's the correct animated mesh name and that it's in the same Animation List (c_gear) as the working meshes.
The gear doors works great but not the main landing gear (animated on only the X-axis).

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Make sure your keyframe animations are all in Linear form – Linear Rotation and Linear Position. Set them via the Motion panel, Trajectories tab in Max.

Make sure your keyframe animations are all in Linear form – Linear Rotation and Linear Position. Set them via the Motion panel, Trajectories tab in Max.
Thank you, I will make sure that I use linear in the future but that wasn't the problem.

My problem was that I thought the "c_gear" animation should be 0 - 200 frames which it says in the Animation Tags - Overview here: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/LearningCenter.php (SDK -> Modeling -> 3ds Max -> Modeling -> Animation Tags). And I had made my animation that the doors opened 0-100 frames and that the gear rotated out on frames 100-200. Now I tried to animate the gear rotating at 0-100 and it works. It seems to cut off everything after 100 frames.

How do I know how long animations should be if the "Animation Tag" list in the SDK v4 is wrong? Or am I missing something else?

Vitus

Resource contributor
The gear animation is a special one. keyframes 0-100 are for gear retraction/extension, while 100-200 are for the gear's suspension.