Max number of Scenery Objects in Airport File

I am making a FS2004 version of KMYR, Myrtle Beach, SC. I have been adding buildings as I go, and when the sim is running, it loads, and I have FPS of 30 or so. No Problems.
But I got to about 1000 scenery objects (mostly buildings), FS didnt like it and hung up. Got it back to 500 or so, and FS is happy.
What's the maximum number of scenery objects I can add to the scenery?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I don't think there is a maximum number, it mainly depends on the complexity of the objects you place.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Oh, you are talking about generic buildings and not other scenery objects, like library objects. I must say I never tried to place so many generic buildings, so could well be you found the limit for them :)

I have hundreds of objects installed in far north Canada island. No one around here. It's VIEW airport only I placed everything hundreds of objects what I installed so I can view what I want to pick object and name file object if I want to create scenery. I have no issued fail or stop at VIEW airport. But it takes a longer loading at least 4 to 5 minutes show up. LOL! It works fine. No AI traffic or nearby major airports. That's why I was smart to avoid heavy traffic loadings. I don't know about the limit with traffics and airports is limit objects library within the area is.

Stuart

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
From something deep in my APu I remember someone in ACE stating that whilst there was no real level of scenery volume there was, because of the Graphics engine potential limits depending on
The level of redraws
Level of complexities on models used i.e. The more real the building looks the more effort required to present these to the user which is why they made many buildings low poly with surface based textures and then only used bump maps etc for those the "pilot" would see.

Redraws on approach to a model by the user.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Performance does depend on the amount of work the graphics engine has to do. Placement of library objects may be less intensive than generic buildings. They are in the code so I guess each one has to be drawn separately. My memory on this is flakey but I suspect there is no hard limit but rather it is GPU bound