MCX: Carenado Models ?

Hi Folks,

RE: MCX - fairly recent development build.

I use MCX for quick looks at my work when painting an aircraft... I've used it with a bunch of aircraft from different developers... For some reason Carenado models are throwing me fits... At first I thought it just might have been the abundance of 4096 textures on my clunky old laptop so I tried resizing them all to 1024... No joy - I get the aircraft to load but MCX stops responding and I have to kill it (actually MCX grabs my whole desktop and many times requires a hard boot to fix) - no real error messages in the log... I have the advanced lighting turned off thinking it would save resources... LOL - I just want to see if my lines - line up... Anyone else get Carenado models to load ? Is it just my clunky old laptop or is there something inherent in their models preventing this ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor

Feel the raw power of my desk crushing full sized tower!

(System shown for demonstration purposes only. Actual system used may be slightly less dramatic.)

Hi Rick,

Hah - nice - could you not find an older Carenado model to crunch with all that awesome power in your rig - 1024 textures ???
:p

Actually - I loved that plane - I was flying that when I was working on my RW license - and that plane's FDE captured the kind of "balancing on a head of a pin" sensation you get when flaring a real aircraft - better than any other I can think of... It was a great little plane in FS9...

Seriously though - thanks for posting - my laptop isn't that old - LOL - about six years and it has one of the AMD Mobility Graphics Cards... LOL - it was high end when I bought it... I'll try it on my desktop when I get home this weekend and see if it works for me...

Regards,
Scott

=rk=

Resource contributor
Yes, they all imported, but MCX doesn't parse that fallback texture scheme, so most of the airplanes had the unsightly checkerboard we've come to associate with advanced models, The Cherokee was the first I found that opened cleanly.

Hi Rick,

Thanks - just joking around...
:p

Yeah - noticed I needed to eliminate the fallback texture thing - took all the common textures and combined them with the paint...

It's probably just my rig...

Thanks again !!!
;)

Regards,
Scott

tgibson

Resource contributor
Is there a reason you don't check them in the sim? You can reload textures by going to Options/Settings/Hardware and moving the Global Texture Size slider one notch up or down. Faster than a restart.

Is there a reason you don't check them in the sim? You can reload textures by going to Options/Settings/Hardware and moving the Global Texture Size slider one notch up or down. Faster than a restart.
Hi Tom,

Yeah - mainly because my laptop doesn't have the sim loaded - much of the time I'm painting to kill time while traveling - but - MCX really just became easier, quicker, and more natural while painting... I don't have to run the Sim at all - the aircraft - usually loads faster in MCX than I could load it in the Sim - and finally - I have greater control of the camera angles to check the areas I'm working - like when you're moving something pixel by pixel to get it to line up...

Hah - I didn't know that trick to update the texture in the Sim - I'll give it a try and see how that works out - thanks for sharing...

Regards,
Scott

=rk=

Resource contributor
You can reload textures by pressing the key combination you have preselected for the "refresh scenery" key assignment. Mine is "1+~" and it is one key click harder than summoning ATC.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Hi,

Refresh Scenery doesn't reload textures in FS9 on my computer, unfortunately, so I have to use the slider trick.