MCX Doesn't open .SCA files.

Helooo!

I've tried to import a scasm file, which has completely no errors, after being de-compressed from an older bgl format.
The problem is, MCX sits at 40% of CPU usage (I do have a relatively good CPU) for 2, 4, 6 hours stuck at 'Reading SCA'.

Help would be appreciated! Do ask for more information, as what I've provided is very little to help, but that's all I've got for now.

Cheers,
Aidas

What decompiler did you use on the original BGL? :scratchch

If you ZIP the *.SCA file and attach it here, we will see if Arno can make MCX' "SCASM Reader" more robust.;-)

Regardless of whether- and when- Arno's further enhancement of MCX may happen, we can see if it is possible to edit a copy of the *.SCA file, so MCX can import extracted segments, or the whole (edited) source file. :)

GaryGB

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
How big is the sca file? Also reading the bgl directly has better performance typically.

Hi again:

If by any chance you have downloaded the "Lithuania" FS2002 legacy format scenery package, you must use SBuilder for FS9 (aka "SB205") to "Append' the VTPL and VTPP BGLs into a blank project ...in order to view that type of file as a reference object in the workspace with other scenery objects and data types.

Other *.BGL and /or *.SCA files from that package should be successfully imported by a newer (2019) development version of MCX.

These can then be exported as *.SBX 'SBuilder Exchange' files, then Imported to SBuilderX version 3.15 for use as a reference object to be viewed in the workspace with other scenery objects and FSX / P3d format data types.

GaryGB

Last edited:
What decompiler did you use on the original BGL? :scratchch

If you ZIP the *.SCA file and attach it here, we will see if Arno can make MCX' "SCASM Reader" more robust.;-)

Regardless of whether- and when- Arno's further enhancement of MCX may happen, we can see if it is possible to edit a copy of the *.SCA file, so MCX can import extracted segments, or the whole (edited) source file. :)

GaryGB
I’ve used scdis, the original .bgl gives a few errors, and then it says that the file is empty (the .sca file size is 2.2MB) I would need to PM one of you guys, because I am not sure if I CAN share it here

PS.: No, it’s not Lithuania, that’s a very good assumption though :)))

=rk=

Resource contributor
Advocating to distribute intellectual property is a condemnation against intellectual property rights.

Advocating to distribute intellectual property is a condemnation against intellectual property rights.
Ok, I get your point, no need to point out things that we all know and be a rude person here and in the other post that was by @xirsir.
We've received authorization to unofficially create and distribute, at no cost, an unofficial patch to make the add-on's ground polygons compatible with Prepar3D v4

Appreciate your trying to help and warn me here, but thanks, I'm fine.

Continuing on to the actual thread here, I am trying to convert EYVI - Vilnius for Prepar3D v4+. Which was made for FSX/FS9 and it initially works in P3D up to V4. I found the file which contained the GP information, but since it's compiled using SCASM, I had to decompile it and fix some errors.

Aidas

/EDIT 1308z/
I love how enthusiastic people are on helping other people here, why ruin that impression?

Last edited:
Hi Aidas:

Although currently FS2002 (aka "FS8") legacy format SCASM-compiled G-Polys reportedly are still compatible with P3Dv4, it is not likely that LM will continue to support display of SCASM-compiled scenery objects in the future.

As you may already know, to fully convert those legacy format G-Polys to P3Dv4 SDK format, they would need to be exported from ex: MCX G-Poly Wizard as P3Dv4 MDL-based objects rather than as legacy format SCASM-compiled non-MDL-based G-Polys.

As you may also know, the new P3D SDK MDL-based G-Poly format offers a number of visual display attributes not otherwise achievable / possible in FSX MDL-based and earlier legacy format non-MDL-based G-Polys.

If you have not already done so, you may wish to PM Arno and ask if he would be willing to take a look at the BGL and/or the *.SCA file in question to see what may be required to enable MCX to successfully import the G-Polys.

Perhaps, as a result, Arno might even be able to further enhance MCX' 'SCASM Reader' in the future. :)

GaryGB

Hello :) That’s exactly what I am trying to do, decompressed an old SCASM based .bgl into a scasm file, which in my understanding has no change, since importing a raw old bgl into mcx, it gives a few opcode errors, and then gets stuck on the Reading SCA part :)

I will PM Arno, thanks!

Cheers,
Aidas

Indeed, MCX has been failing to successfully import SCASM / ASM format scenery objects due to "OPCODE" errors for many years now.

To be fair, obscure methods some authors use to code conditional display may be quite complex to decipher as well.

I hope Arno may be willing to help with this. :)

GaryGB

=rk=

Resource contributor
To be fair, obscure methods some authors use to code conditional display may be quite complex to decipher as well. I hope Arno may be willing to help with this.
Perhaps Adias can save Arno some unnecessary effort. Since he is already in contact with the original author, he can inquire about tools, techniques and development materials, to which he may apply current software versions and methods to produce this updated ground polygon.

Doing a bit of digging, perhaps I can save Arno some unnecessary effort. There appear to be only a few versions Vilnius, available for the sim. One of them is a commercial product, so we should be able to rule it out. This particular thread may ring a few bells and at the very minimum provide some insight into how the ground polygon was constructed and the final disposition of the project.
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/vilnius-intl-eyvi-vno.11190/

Perhaps Adias can save Arno some unnecessary effort. Since he is already in contact with the original author, he can inquire about tools, techniques and development materials, to which he may apply current software versions and methods to produce this updated ground polygon.

Doing a bit of digging, perhaps I can save Arno some unnecessary effort. There appear to be only a few versions Vilnius, available for the sim. One of them is a commercial product, so we should be able to rule it out. This particular thread may ring a few bells and at the very minimum provide some insight into how the ground polygon was constructed and the final disposition of the project.
The scenery is by Aerosoft. All though, since Aerosoft technically owns it, it doesn’t know anything how it was developed, Aerosoft just re selled the product that was developed by another developer, which is out of reach.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Aidas, you're probably good. The scenery is by Aerosoft, there is no way anyone anywhere is going to publish anything Vilnius, that has any polygons that match an Aerosoft product. They probably have web crawlers for that kind of thing and when one gets a hit, all AS has to do is contact the webmaster and he is obliged to remove the link. So, it can't really be stolen. BTW, if you look more carefully at the OP's sig, you'll see he's probably the actual author. You'd be the one to know for certain, if the screen shot matches the scenery you've acquired.

It is really important to be clear, imo. It is never ok to steal intellectual property and it is never good to advocate, to say someone should and we should be clear about this distinction. It's a developers site that is supported by developers and in turn, supports developers. That post does seem to imply a description of the complex obscure method this author used to code conditional display, as Gary put it, so maybe something will come of it.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mcx-doesnt-open-sca-files.445183/post-820567

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mcx-doesnt-open-sca-files.445183/post-820577

The scenery is by Aerosoft. All though, since Aerosoft technically owns it, it doesn’t know anything how it was developed, Aerosoft just re selled the product that was developed by another developer, which is out of reach.

IIUC, both posts quoted above refer to scenery content authored in part by Arvydas Cetyrkovskis who, AFAIK is OP of this cited thread:

IIUC, Arvydas is a co-author of an Aerosoft-published scenery package, the copyright and credit info for which, is readily discernible from a review of the product manual at:

http://www.aerosoft2.de/downloads/vilniusx/Manual_VilniusX_Engl.pdf

...linked from the main product web page:

https://www.aerosoft.com/en/flight-...or-2004/sceneries/485/vilnius-international-x

AFAIK, providing Aidas has "previous written consent of AEROSOFT" and Andras "Kozma" (...rather than only one of the co-authors of the scenery content within that packaged product), he may indeed have been granted the permission required to proceed with the activity which he described as the basis for his query in the OP of this thread.

Assuming he has that permission, IMHO, we "should" respectfully focus on trying to facilitate his goals which may have been communicated as best he can ...considering that English may be a second language for him.

If Arvydas Cetyrkovskis or Andras Kozma cannot be reached at this time in order to gain insight on development methods used and/or to be provided with actual source data for the final product, decompilation of a SCASM / BGLC_9 compiled BGL, and subsequent manual disassembly / editing of complex *.SCA or *.ASM code may be the only means available to allow the intended conversion of the G-Polys ...as described in the OP and other posts above.

GaryGB

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Andres Kozma is a proprietary developer for Aerosoft. He is the person responsible for insuring 3rd party products conform to the Aerosoft level of quality. He has no authority to permit modification and distribution of a commercial product belonging to Aerosoft, nor would the original author, who would have sold the rights to do so, to Aerosoft. Here is one of Andres' signature airports, perhaps this link will also ring some bells:
https://www.aerosoft.com/en/flight-simulation/flight-simulator-x/sceneries/394/andras-field

Aerosoft has an across the board forbearance against publishing edited files from products, that they distribute, that they also have a legal and financial agreement with other parties. Imagine, if you will, explaining to the board of investors, that allowing piracy, increases sales.
AS does allow and endorse original, supplemental files, that enhance products they distribute, as as example, liveries, or alternative airport.bgl's (afcads). Presumably, Aidas could publish a new, modified ground .bgl, but he'd also have to include an explanation of how to edit it into the scenery (subsequently disabling the protections AS, i.e. Andres, builds into the sceneries) which would almost certainly cross the line. It might interest other developers to know that Aerosoft uses a security measure that disables the photo style ground polygons for a scenery product, that does not properly authenticate.
To assume that Aidas has been given permission from AS to modify, or distribute files, is beyond generous and begs the question, why? Especially in light of the fact that Aidas specifically stated as much.
Aerosoft just re selled the product that was developed by another developer, which is out of reach.
Perhaps you selectively ignore facts, in order to maintain a narrative that is detached from the actual reality, or do you actually support software piracy?

If it is your intention to be respectful and allow people to focus - despite what appears to be a racist assumption about someones perceived ability to communicate - then please, by all means, do so. Aidas has been informed of the situation, Arno has been apprised of the earlier post and a private link has been established. The rest sir, is up to them, imo.

AFAIK, Aidas "should" have "previous written consent of AEROSOFT" and Andras "Kozma" as copyright holders, before proceeding with what he described above in this thread.

Regarding Rick Keller's statement:

"what appears to be a racist assumption about someones perceived ability to communicate"

...One might wonder whether this may reasonably be viewed as a fundamental misunderstanding of what I stated, and why I stated it.

Alternatively, Ricks statement may be viewed as the latest in a pattern of posts intended to cast aspersons on my posts at FSDeveloper.

I believe is it appropriate that posts by FSDeveloper forum participants in a forum where the declared language intended to be used is English, be treated with respect for the "ethnic"- (not "Racial"-) background of the poster for whom English may be a second language.

My interpretation of Aidas' statement:

"We've received authorization to unofficially create and distribute, at no cost, an unofficial patch to make the add-on's ground polygons compatible with Prepar3D v4"

...and his statement referring to a:

"product that was developed by another developer, which is out of reach"

...was that Aidas intended to communicate with the developer for the product cited above, in addition to having been given permission by Aerosoft to proceed as Aidas has described above.

If I have misinterpreted Aidas' statements above, and, if in fact English is NOT a second language for him, I offer him my apologies, and hereby request any such correction and clarification that Aidas may be willing to offer here.

I believe that it is appropriate to try and understand posts which may represent a "best effort" by persons for whom English is a second language, and I believe it is also appropriate to offer ones own interpretation of such posts in the context of an acknowledgement that English 'may' be a second language for that person.

I believe that forum participants should endeavor to understand one another regardless of whether English is ones native language, and that we should focus on assisting others with understanding methods that may help them to achieve their goals, rather than to go off-topic on issues of intellectual property and permissions.

That said, I am doubtful that some content of posts by Rick Keller in this thread is compliant with FSDeveloper forum guidelines:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/pages/rules/

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/please-keep-discussions-civil.216157/

In my opinion, posting of this type of content at FSDeveloper forums by Rick Keller has been a recurrent problem, and IIUC, Aidas pointed out above one of the other recent threads in which Rick Keller engaged in this type of posting behavior with another person who was also seeking input from other forum participants on a project that he / she had been authorized to proceed with by Aerosoft.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...und-polys-work-in-v4-help.444917/#post-820102

https://www.inibuilds.com/airport-patches/aerosoft-dublin-patch

I believe due diligence by a forum moderator would be to consider whether Rick Keller's pattern of posting behavior meets this criteria:

"Fishing for combative responses is trolling."

PS: Those of us involved in the FS Community for years who value facts and accuracy, know who Andras- (not Andres-) Kozma is.

Oh, I almost forgot to post this quote from the Aerosoft product manual cited above:

"Copyright © 2011AEROSOFT / KOZMA. All rights reserved. Microsoft Windows, and Flight Simulator are registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other Countries. All trademarks and brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective owners."

"Concept: Arvydas Cetyrkovskis
Programming / modelling: Andras Kozma, Arvydas Cetyrkovskis, Gabor Kovacs"

GaryGB

Last edited:
English, is my second language indeed.

At this point, I have completely no words to say to Rick.

Just close this topic, I don’t want to start an argument and trash the FSDeveloper’s forums name.
I wanted to just get help, but looks like in the end, I am just being flamed at for my communication skills.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Aidas

Hi Aidas:

I believe we all understand now, what it is you are seeking help for.

If you do indeed have written permission to proceed with what you described above, you may wish to further pursue this topic. ;)

If terms of your 'permission' allow, you may instead wish to create a new P3Dv4 MDL in Blender and use the original EYVI G-Poly texture.

After exported as a P3Dv4 MDL, it may be imported into MCX via the G-Poly Wizard, then output as a P3Dv4 G-Poly.

If Arno is not willing- or able- to assist you with the SCASM / ASM import process at this time, a few others here may offer some help. :)

GaryGB