• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MCX Doesn't open .SCA files.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
In my opinion, posting of this type of content at FSDeveloper forums by Rick Keller has been a recurrent problem

I believe due diligence by a forum moderator would be to consider whether Rick Keller's pattern of posting behavior meets this criteria:
"Fishing for combative responses is trolling."

"We have zero tolerance to trolling, spamming and personal attacks."
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/pages/rules/

This seems very much like the personal attack the rules forbid. It also seems like it could be interpreted as fishing for combative responses. However, that is a matter for moderators, which I will not presume to be. I request you to keep your comments on topic and non personal. If you do not like the way that I communicate, then please consider not communicating, thanks.

Country
lithuania
Hi Aidas:

I believe we all understand now, what it is you are seeking help for.

If you do indeed have written permission to proceed with what you described above, you may wish to further pursue this topic. ;)

If terms of your 'permission' allow, you may instead wish to create a new P3Dv4 MDL in Blender and use the original EYVI G-Poly texture.

After exported as a P3Dv4 MDL, it may be imported into MCX via the G-Poly Wizard, then output as a P3Dv4 G-Poly.

If Arno is not willing- or able- to assist you with the SCASM / ASM import process at this time, a few others here may offer some help. :)

GaryGB

You mean, recreate the whole lines and stuff, but using the same texture? :O

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mcx-doesnt-open-sca-files.445183/post-820604

You mean, recreate the whole lines and stuff, but using the same texture? :O

The latter work-flow described above would be an alternative method to create a P3Dv4 SDK compatible MDL-based G-Poly.

IIUC, you wish to create a P3Dv4 SDK compatible MDL-based G-Poly in order to utilize enhanced Material attributes and functions which are not possible with legacy FS2002 ("FS8") era methods.

AFAIK, to create P3Dv4 SDK compatible MDL-based G-Polys for EYVI would require you to either:

* Learn how to re-create them in ex: Blender using the same- or a similar- texture Material with identical name and pixel Rows / Columns

...or:

* Learn more about how to make further use of decompiled *.SCA / *.ASM source code so that MCX can import / convert the G-Polys

Either way, 'some' (...and perhaps, an extensive amount of-) learning and work would be required. :coffee:

It could prove to be a useful experience to utilize both of the above methods, as it may provide an opportunity for learning how to configure P3Dv4 SDK compliant G-Polys in what might otherwise be assigned "layers" ...to achieve specific display priorities / properties.

Does the "written permission" you may have from Aerosoft clearly allow you to decompile and utilize their EYVI scenery content to:

"unofficially create and distribute, at no cost, an unofficial patch to make the add-on's ground polygons compatible with Prepar3D v4" ? :scratchch

[EDITED]

If not, you could ask Aerosoft for explicit permission to do so by describing specifically what you would like to do with their G-Polys.

Otherwise, IIUC, you would need to make your own G-Poly source data in ex: PhotoShop or another graphics application supporting 'Layers' and 'Paths', by tracing over the EYVI textures to make 'substitute' textures, and to also make "Path" vector objects from 'selected' areas to match the shape and position of the G-Poly Geometry, which when inter-converted between 'vector' file formats, can be utilized in Blender, SBuilderX, etc. ...to generate source files that may be used to create 'new' P3Dv4 MDL-based G-polys. :idea:

UPDATE: ...Looks like our posts crossed out of synch on the forum server while I was editing. :laughing:

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
lithuania
The latter work-flow described above would be an alternative method to create a P3Dv4 SDK compatible MDL-based G-Poly.

IIUC, you wish to create a P3Dv4 SDK compatible MDL-based G-Poly in order to utilize enhanced Material attributes and functions which are not possible with legacy FS2002 ("FS8") era methods.

AFAIK, to create P3Dv4 SDK compatible MDL-based G-Polys for EYVI would require you to either:

* Learn how to re-create them in ex: Blender using the same- or a similar- texture Material with identical name and pixel Rows / Columns

...or:

* Learn more about how to make further use of decompiled *.SCA / *.ASM source code so that MCX can import / convert the G-Polys

Either way, 'some' (...and perhaps, an extensive amount of-) learning and work would be required. :coffee:

It could prove to be a useful experience to utilize both of the above methods, as it may provide an opportunity for learning how to configure P3Dv4 SDK compliant G-Polys in what might otherwise be assigned "layers" ...to achieve specific display priorities / properties. :idea:

Does the "written permission" you may have from Aerosoft clearly allow you to decompile and utilize their EYVI scenery content to:

"unofficially create and distribute, at no cost, an unofficial patch to make the add-on's ground polygons compatible with Prepar3D v4" ? :scratchch

GaryGB
Alright. I got everything converted to v4 GP. Turns out I had to split the .SCA file manually, edit it heavily by hand, and volia! But, there's one particular thing I can't get done.
I get the following error: "Unknown BGL opcode 5C at position 2E"

If only I could understand what is 5C and 2E...

Country
us-illinois
Congratulations on your progress thus far ! :cool:

Sorting out BGL opcodes is a challenge; perhaps Arno with his extensive knowledge of such things, might offer some insight on that ? :wizard:

Quite likely such errors are related to conditional display, and if "commented" or "remarked" out in a *.SCA, MCX may be able to proceed with importing a particular individual object ...or group of objects. ;)

FYI: If you are inclined to further research this "Unknown BGL opcode" error on your own, some ideas may be found here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/78921-looking-for-docs-for-all-bgl-opcodes/

https://github.com/Marginal/FS2XPlane/blob/master/convbgl.py

see: "0x5c: 255, # Local variable used by Aerosoft in EDDF"

https://github.com/Marginal/FS2XPlane/blob/master/doc/bglc.asm

Hope this helps a bit more. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
lithuania
Well, I’ve finally managed to convert it to v4!! :) super excited about this
d2480300c44108fdb691b97e8bd6bcdf.jpg
6d27964c66f5c811e97d9f4e45256d28.jpg