P3D v4 MCX: Exporting groundpolys as MDL?

Hi to all experts here,

just doing my first experiences with seasonal textures but it seems really heavy to me.
First success yesterday, but I noticed my polys are no more the same layer than before. That's because I exported the Gmax polys as mdl and use them directly in SODE. Result: Grass appears now above my concrete surfaces which are still converted via MCX with proper layer conditions.
Now my question: Is it any possible to convert the arranged poly options in MCX also as MDL like imported models? I can't find any option to do so - only converting option is BGL.

Or asked differently, how do you tread your built polygons to get them with correct layers into SODE?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

If you make ground polygons for P3Dv2 and above the GPW will actually make MDL files in the background that are put in the BGL file. So you could probably just extract them.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
If in the option you select KeepMDL for the BGLWriter they will be kept in the folder the BGL is written to.

Great idea, Arno, thank you. Unfortunately I still get just a BGL file. Is there any other option I have missed to change to keep the MDL in the same directory?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Which FS version you select in the GPW?

Hi Arno,

just got success with the P3Dv4 version (01/18), previously I tried the former FSX version.
Unfotunately, now I get up to 50 several mdls, not the only one I originally exported from Gmax. That's strange...

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You have to uncheck the optionto group the polygons per 500 meter to get one mdl.

Hi Arno,

sorry - no success so far, even if I check or uncheck those options. Meanwhile, I got a hint from Christan Bahr who told me to try exporting the mdl into a FSX/P3D mdl file via "export" menue on top. That's really frustrating when you don't know all those great features of all the phantastic progs here around.

EDIT: Yes, this kind of exporting indeed works. I was also coached meanwhile to set the layers by zbias within the "material editor" instead of the "ground poly wizard" menu. A shame to say there is so many stuff still to learn :stirthepo.
Thank you for effort, Arno.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

The only thing you miss when you export the object to MDL via the Export option, is that the polygons will not be sliced in 100 meter segments. For ground polygons that is advised to make sure they can follow the earth curve better. The GPW takes care of that for you.

Hmm - thank you. So there I am behind the 8-ball. Hopefully it works just because I have done a big flatten underneath. Tricky....

Hi Arno:

Would you please clarify some of the 'magic' that takes place behind the curtain with SDK compilers ? :teacher:

If I understand this correctly: :scratchch

* CVX vector ABP 'flat' or 'sloped' "flattens" ARE corrected internally by SDK SHP2VEC compiler for the FS 3D world "Earth surface curve".

* 3D Models (including any intended for G-Polys) are NOT corrected internally by SDK XtoMDL compiler for the FS 3D world "Earth surface curve".

BTW: Would you please also clarify whether SDK SHP2VEC compiler tests if source data is projected in (EPSG:4326) aka "Geographic / WGS84"

Thanks in advance for sharing your insight with us on this aspect of working with the different FS SDK scenery compilers. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
My test reveals SHP2VEC will reject shapefiles that are not ESPG:4326.

I don't believe that the CVX bgls are corrected, as FS9 terrain BGLS will display in FSX. This leads me to believe they are not corrected at all, but it is the terrain display of both FSX and P3D.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Gary,

You are correct.

XtoMdl does nothing to adjust for the curve of the earth.

I don't think shp2vec checks the projection of the input data, it will just assume it's wgs84.

Many thanks for the replies by Dick and Arno.

This compels another related question:

If a 3D model (intended to be a "flatten") is imported into MCX in "normal" mode (aka NOT via MCX' G-Poly Wizard GUI), and it already is projected as (EPSG:4326) aka "Geographic / WGS84":

* Is the CVX vector object output corrected internally by SDK SHP2VEC compiler ...for the FS 3D world "Earth surface curve" when exported via:

MCX Menu > [Export Scenery] button > Save As Type: FSX flatten BGL file (*.BGL) ? :scratchch

If not, does MCX automatically perform an internal correction on 'flattens' (as it does on 'G-Polys') ...for the FS 3D world "Earth surface curve" ?

Thanks again for any further clarification offered on what takes place in MCX via this specific export output sequence. :)

PS: Sorry Manschy, for the IMHO, topically-related digression on this. :oops:

IIRC, you work via exported *.X and/or *.MDL files, so I thought it best to clarify what one may- or may not- have to do in the modeling application, to align 3D models to the FS 3D world "Earth surface curve" when exported ...versus using MCX to process *.X or *.MDL files. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

MCX can't export shape files in wgs84. So anything you import is a model in local XYZ coordinates.

If MCX makes a terrain vector flatten out of a 3D object it will calculate the wgs84 positions of each vertex.

In the shp2vec made bgl the polygons are stored as lat/lon/alt, so no need to do anything special for the curvation of the earth there.

The GPW doesn't use terrain vector flattens by the way. So they are not part of the normal GPW workflow.

Hi,

okay, I tried another variant, now with the MCX included seasonal visibilty condition. I got partly success, but there are some more experiments to do.

Summer:

Winter: