• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX MCX is out of memory

Country
italy
Hello
Yesterday I finally finished a terminal that took me quite a lot to complete . I exported it as a Collada file and imported it into mcx, after that I started adding night textures (74 in total)
The problem is that after 7-8 I keep getting an error message that says System.Outofmemoryexception and I noticed that 5-6 textures that are also the largest do show as a black and white chess texture.

It's very frustrating because I've spent a lot of time on the terminal, is there a solution to this?
Any help is appreciated! :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

How many triangles does your model have? And are you using the 32 or 64 bit version? The 64 bit version can address more memory.

It might also help to disable the undo function, as that saves memory. This can be done in the options.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
MCX is very robust and in my experience can handle anything the simulator can handle and beyond. 74 distinct textures is a very large number, that to me implies other prohibitively large numbers. Have you tried isolating your textures and loading just the model geometry into MCX? Export to Collada implies SketchUp for modelling, is this true? Can you say the number of polygons it registers for the model?

Arno is easily the expert, but I would have to observe that freeing undo memory for an application that maxes out after 8 textures loaded of 74 textures is not going to free enough resources to get this model compiled. Your solution almost certainly is to remove complexity.

Country
italy
Thank you both for replying!
Like Arno suggested, I've tried disabling the undo function and managed to successfully load all the lightmaps, now the problem is another: I can't export my object. In the console I read that the vertex list has too many vertices (89703) and that the max. allowed is 65535. Is there a solution?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Make your model less complex. How many triangles does it have now?

Country
italy
Hi Arno,
I have already found a solution in the meanwhile.
The minimum triangle area was set at 1E-05; so I set it at 0.0001 but it still wasn't enough, and 0,001 didn't load some parts, so I hypothesized there was a large number of triangles between those 2 scales causing the conflict, so I set the limit at 0,0007 and everything went fine. Thanks for the help!

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
That makes very little sense to me unless you have a great deal of corrupt geometry in your model. It is well that this worked, I suppose, but there should be more direct ways to address this issue than altering MCX options to arbitrarily eliminate a specific size range of polygons, imo.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
By increasing the small triangle threshold more triangles are possibly removed on import. So that is a way to reduce the complexity of the model, although it will also leave small holes in your model. So this kind of indicates that the model has a lot of small triangles in it.

I would still be interested to know the triangle count of the model. A good aim for a terminal is around 5000 to 10000 triangles I would say. I bet this one has a lot more than that.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I suppose one could be concerned that building a terminal somehow created a vast quantity of very small triangles, like dust. Perhaps an abundance of extrusions of curved shapes or something. You know I bet that's what it is. My guess is that all the roofs are curved and the sections with smaller divisions are completely eliminated when he set's the filter size too high. If that is the case, the only real solution is to replace those sections with less complex geometry, because the likelihood that a size filter removed only undesirable polygons is extremely low and I think Epsilon90 will agree after some careful examination.