• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MCX no longer opening sketchup files om my PC

Country
us-ohio
Do you get exactly the same error? Because the first error was related to loading the dll. That should not depend on the object you load. Sometimes there is something in an object that cases an error as well.
Maybe there's something wrong with my download but the development release version is missing assimp.dll for me. Just a heads up.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll double check, I have been modifying the build system a bit recently, maybe a bug was introduced with that.

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Just to be clear: has there been a recent change in MCX enabling it to directly import Sketchup *.SKP file format ? :scratchch

If not, one must export a 3D model from Sketchup in a different format file type that MCX is currently able to import via ASSIMP ...or its 'own' code.

If one Geo-located a G-Poly 3D model in Sketchup, one should IMHO, export using Google Earth *.KMZ file format that MCX can currently import.:pushpin:

If one plans to manually place a 3D model G-Poly object after imported / exported by MCX, one may use other Sketchup 3D export formats.

[EDITED]

CAVEAT: Be aware that there apparently are unresolved issues with MCX import of Collada *.DAE files due to MCX' use of the ASSIMP library:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/assimpreader-error-importing-file.450555/

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mcx-doest-show-collada-model.450842/

[END_EDIT]

FYI: If a G-Poly has superimposed / multiple layers of texture Materials, one may wish to use TIG's *.OBJ plugin to export from Sketchup: :idea:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/several-questions-about-making-changes-to-ground-markings-using-sketchup-and-mcx.446617/post-835965

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mcx-doest-show-collada-model.450842/post-869796

GaryGB

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
yes they do as i said in the first post
So you do not want anyone here to verify, so we only have your understanding of someone else's understanding?

Do you have MCX installed into any Program Files folder?
I also note you never replied to this very valid question.

Also, if you delete your installed MCX folder, and then unzip the downloaded MCX package, you will have Assimp.dll in the folders Arno indicated. Can you import any other type of file (glTF, obj, etc...)? If so, then Assimp is working correctly.

Why not just zip the dae file, attach it to a post, and let Arno, or someone else re-verify it can load? Or PM it to Arno.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Maybe there's something wrong with my download but the development release version is missing assimp.dll for me. Just a heads up.
I double checked the latest development release, but it includes the assimp.dll file as required.

Dave_W

Resource contributor
Arno,

To add to the confusion, I tried to open 3 different .DAE files with this version of MCX:
mcx_ver.JPG
and got the same error as the OP with all the files.

I just downloaded the latest version of MCX:
mcx_v1.JPG
and there were no problems opening the files.

FWIW, I could also open the files with a version dated 5/4/2021.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Dave,

Like I wrote I modified my build pipeline a bit and for a while there was a bug that caused the assimp.dll not to be copied correctly. So most likely the build from the 12th of May was broken.

Country
vietnam
Thansk Il try the latest build now and see how i get on. Was nice to see someone else had teh same issue as me Thanks Dave.w, showed iwas not going mad Lol
Thanks again for all your help.
I will report back how i get on

Also sorrry rhumbaflappy i missed those questions, Back in lockdown here so all a little crazy, I always just drop mcx from the zip file to my desktop and the whole thing sits there

Country
vietnam
So this problem has re appeared. Friday i could open my SketchUp DAE files, next day i cant, I can open every other type of file mcx supports but not my exported (or any other downloaded ) dae files

Attachments

• bandicam 2022-06-06 06-24-54-606.jpg
    bandicam 2022-06-06 06-24-54-606.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 36

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
It takes a couple of minutes, but the KMZ opens fine for me.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Do you have the assimp.dll file present in your MCX folder? It could be in the x64 folder as well (don't remember it exactly).

Country
vietnam
yes its there.
When i download mcx i make a folder on my desktop and drop everything in there

Country
vietnam
This is the content of that folder on my desktop

Attachments

• bandicam 2022-06-06 07-46-20-917.jpg
    bandicam 2022-06-06 07-46-20-917.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 34

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
yes its there.
When i download mcx i make a folder on my desktop and drop everything in there
The error seems to indicate the library could not be loaded. So therefore I had the impression it's missing or so.

What's in the x64 folder?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
hello Arno,
If with the May 25 version, there is none, I have a problem with MCX, the latest version dated June 6 gives me the error message "Invalid descriptor" on all files created with FSDS (fsc and bgl)
but not the gltf?
C++ 2015-2019 Ok

View attachment 82397
I saw your error report. Will check it later. The fsc reader did not change recently, so not sure why you siddenly get this.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That command prompt window that opens shortly is by design, it's related to the change I made to the command line conversion functionality. But thst should not influence the fsc reader.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The error you reported from inside MCX included a file to test with as well. I'll check them later this afternoon.