MCX on Linux with WINE

Heretic

Resource contributor
Is somebody successfully running MCX (development release) with WINE on Linux?

On WINE 4.5 (x64) and when using a virtual desktop, I can get it started and use the UI, but the model rendering itself doesn't work at all.

Arno's latest test on Linux was a few years ago and did not yield much info apart from "it works".

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

It must be 8 years ago or so that I last tried to run it on Linux. At that time the biggest problem was also the OpenGL library I used that didn't work well on Linux (might have been the it worked was with an older version when I did the OpenGL rendering different).

Heretic

Resource contributor
I sadly couldn't find any info regarding its use in Linux/WINE. If the wrapper hasn't changed and it used to work in older WINE versions, I might just be missing a dependency.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
It's really too long ago I tried, I think I have updated to a new version of the library for sure since then. I can't remember if MCX used this library from the start or if initially I used something else.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Do you still have your Ubuntu installation?

If you've got a minute, just try it in WINE for me. I could then rule out that I'm only missing a dependency.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
No, the machine I used to run Ubuntu on is long dead. Since I develop for FS only I decided to drop the Linux environment and work on Windows only.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
If I can get a virtualbox with Ubuntu somewhere, I might give it a try.