• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MCX on Linux with WINE

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Is somebody successfully running MCX (development release) with WINE on Linux?

On WINE 4.5 (x64) and when using a virtual desktop, I can get it started and use the UI, but the model rendering itself doesn't work at all.

Arno's latest test on Linux was a few years ago and did not yield much info apart from "it works".

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

It must be 8 years ago or so that I last tried to run it on Linux. At that time the biggest problem was also the OpenGL library I used that didn't work well on Linux (might have been the it worked was with an older version when I did the OpenGL rendering different).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, that's the wrapper I use.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I sadly couldn't find any info regarding its use in Linux/WINE. If the wrapper hasn't changed and it used to work in older WINE versions, I might just be missing a dependency.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It's really too long ago I tried, I think I have updated to a new version of the library for sure since then. I can't remember if MCX used this library from the start or if initially I used something else.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Do you still have your Ubuntu installation?

If you've got a minute, just try it in WINE for me. I could then rule out that I'm only missing a dependency.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No, the machine I used to run Ubuntu on is long dead. Since I develop for FS only I decided to drop the Linux environment and work on Windows only.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
No, the machine I used to run Ubuntu on is long dead. Since I develop for FS only I decided to drop the Linux environment and work on Windows only.

Ah, too bad. Thanks for replying anyway.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
If I can get a virtualbox with Ubuntu somewhere, I might give it a try.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Out of curiosity, I've tried MCX again with WINE 5.16, installing nothing buit the Visual C++ 2015-2019 Runtimes and NET Framework 4.8 and was surprised that it seems to work just fine when started from a terminal with "wine ModelConverterX.exe". This is the exterior model of the default XP11 747-400:

1599865094519.png

Even X-Plane animations are imported.

The only thing that needs to be adapted to X-Plane is the animation slider granularity as most animations use a 0.0 to 1.0 range.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Nice try :)

There is a setting that can scale animations in MCX, but I am not sure if I am using that one in the X-Plane OBJ importer as well. When reading from other formats you sometimes also have the issue that animation lengths are different.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Yeah, that's the issue. It would be helpful if, say, the type-in box supported decimals so one can enter, e.g. "0.51".

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll see if that's possible, I'm not sure if the frame is a double or int internally.

What I do in other importers is just scale the values. So that's another approach.