MDL Emitters

Anyone had any success in getting MDL emitters to work?

I have some theories about some things to do with that system but the SDK's don't cover it, and what I am hoping to do is create a static MDL emitter to then do some cool things...

I haven't had time myself to test it...

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
Hi Dean.

Here's a sucessful effect that places an object:

Code:
[Library Effect]
Lifetime=5
Version=2.00
Radius=-1

[Properties]
Cockpit=1
VirtualCockpit=1
Spot=1
Tower=1
Map=1

[Emitter.0]
Lifetime=0.00, 0.00
Rate=1.00, 1.00
No Interpolate=1

[Particle.0]
Lifetime=0.00, 0.00
Type=22
X Scale=1.00, 1.00
Y Scale=1.00, 1.00
Z Scale=1.00, 1.00
Static=1
Face=1, 1, 1

[ParticleAttributes.0]
GUID={de00535c-5e8c-4cc0-932f-e82355a37412}
The GUID is an FSX lighthouse object.

Dick

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Has anybody done some research about mdl-emitting fx?

It seems that it's not possible to make them static like aircraft lights.

Anyone ideas about that?

Haven't tested it yet, but am very willing to try at some point soon... :)

The theory I've had is that if we can attach an MDL based emitter FX to something like a nav light we could add components to new aircraft without having to build completely new MDL's of the master aircraft...

one idea is adding Antennas, or Radomes to 707's etc...

I'm throwing the idea out there into the community as I just don't have time to develop products with that type of stuff but maybe someone else can...

Horst18519

Resource contributor
I don't think this works.

I was able to create mdl-emitting fx, but the objects drop like stones and cannot be attached to the aircraft. You also cannot specify the falling speed. :(

hmmm in my very limited experience with effects, the rate at which an effect raises or drops is changed by altering the temp/rate setting if its being extruded (i.e. Steam) or possibly by altering the Particle Emitter XYZ values if its just a particle being emitted??

Have you tried tweaking those values in the Effects editor??

I don't think this works.

I was able to create mdl-emitting fx, but the objects drop like stones and cannot be attached to the aircraft. You also cannot specify the falling speed. :(
If this is the case, could the mdl be something like a bomb that creates a sim-object collision when it touches another airplane? It would be cool to throw flour bombs on your friends, just saying.

I managed to get the MDL FX to attach as a strobe light on the default cessna 172...

Frame rates were horrible though...

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't had much chance to spend too much time messing with it, but one day soon I'll play around with some settings and try some new stuff with this...

Been busy working on mesh terrain projects...