• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

.MDL file is invalid for model created with Prepar3d V2.2 SDK

Country
germany
Hi,

I´m completely new to scenery design and wanted to start by creating some simple custom models with SketchUp, exporting those to a .dae file which I then converted to a .mdl file using the newest version of ModelConverterX - unfortunately, the models created with this method are considered invalid by Library Creator, so I don´t know how I could use them within Prepar3d V2.2. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Fabian

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Do you have also have the latest. Library Creator XML development release? Older versions don't support P3D mdl files indeed.

Country
germany
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I downloaded Library Creator XML just 2 days ago, so it should be the latest version. Model Converter X I downloaded about 6 weeks ago, Version 1.3, should also be the latest one. But I noticed that Model Converter X does not detect my Prepar3d V2 SDK paths although I did a regular installation of it without any error messages. Also, in the options menu of MC X, there isn´t even an option to link Prepar3d paths, so I had to link the FSX paths to the Prepar3d SDK files like bglcomp etc. The Converter Wizard also doesn`t have an option for Prepar3d files - maybe that is a problem too. But as I said, I downloaded the latest versions of both programs and was wondering why no Prepar3d options show up. Maybe I´m doing something completely wrong.

Cheers, Fabian

Country
germany
It worked! I recompiled my objects, added them to a library, copied that to Prepar3d Addon Scenery folder and now I can place them using Instant Scenery 3. Now I only have to find a way how I can make the default bridges disappear under my custom bridges, exclusion rectangles don`t seem to affect those. Guess there`s still a long way to go. But until then, thank you very very much for your help!

Regards, Fabian

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

You need to create a terrain exclusion polygon, and exclude the layer that includes the bridges.

Country
us-kentucky
It worked! I recompiled my objects, added them to a library, copied that to Prepar3d Addon Scenery folder and now I can place them using Instant Scenery 3. Now I only have to find a way how I can make the default bridges disappear under my custom bridges, exclusion rectangles don`t seem to affect those. Guess there`s still a long way to go. But until then, thank you very very much for your help!

Regards, Fabian
Hey Fabian, congrats!

It looks like you're trying to do precisely what I am but you're successful and I am aint ...least so far. I am wondering, why you were using library creator XML, instead of libraryMaker from I S III?

Also I'm not sure that I am probably referencing the needful resources within MCX. Could you compare my config to yours? ARNO? I know that there are a couple of path screw-ups after I installed it because some of my files are over 10 years old. I corrected the ones on the FS related section.

Thanks

Chas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Of course I don't know where everything is installed on your machine, but at first look these paths seem ok. If you will only export to P3D you don't have to worry about the paths for older versions.

Country
us-kentucky
Hi,

Of course I don't know where everything is installed on your machine, but at first look these paths seem ok. If you will only export to P3D you don't have to worry about the paths for older versions.

Thanks Arno!...appreciate that look see.

note:new Dev version of MCX takes a default path for FX 2004 which is C:\that's not where I have my install of 2004.

Chas

Country
us-kentucky
Here's the weird thing,

I have converted virtually all of the models that you see here, in p3Dv1.4,
into FSX .bgls in the convert & place wizard of modelConverterX, DEV version.

None of them are we're converted P3D V2 and yet all of them show up MY P3dv2.2. The reason why I did not use the conversion to P3Dv2, is that the post office and gas station is the first thing I tried to convert and place, and it did not show up using the option for P3dv2.

It DID show up in the FSX Output option , SO I CONTINUED TO USE THAT OUTPUT FORMAT FOR ALL THE REST OF THEM.

1. Is that to be expected? That begs the question;

2. Would you please explain to us poor, Arno Acolytes, oh Master, Wearer of the Black-robe, Creator of the hourly praised, ModelconverterX, the difference between the models & textures of;
FS2002,

FSX/p3DV 1.4,

P3DV2.0,

and2.3?

Thanks in advance for your kind attention and speedy reply,

Chas
Poor, unworthy,green-robe,minion of ModelConverterX-dom

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
The short answer is that objects made for previous sims are usually compatible with later sims, for the most part. There are glitches (i.e. FS2004 transparencies will cause objects behind them to disappear in FSX and later sims), but I believe FSX objects will show up OK in P3D1 or 2, as you have found. There may be features that are not available when compiling to earlier sims and certain versions of Max can only be used with later sim compilers, so these may be reasons why many people want to compile to the latest versions.