• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Mdl To Bgl

Country
ecuador
Hi! does anyone knows how to convert an MDL aircraft file to an BGL, for example, to do a static aircraft of one that i have installed in my fs9/aircraft folder?

thanks!!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
There is a old tool that allows you to create API macros from MDL aircraft, but this does not work on the latest aircraft MDL files (works best with Fs2000 and before MDL files).

But in general it is not a very good idea to use aircraft MDL files. They often have way too much polygons to be used as a static (unless you want to kill your framerate).

So it might be a better idea to find a more polygon friendly model and convert that. Or use AI aircraft instead of statics (these are often designed more polygon friendly as well).

Country
canada
Hi, Boris

As Arno said, there is an old tool called exactly that, Mdl-to-Bgl. Because there is no alternative, I have used it very, very often to place FS98 aircraft as static planes around airports. It works, but it needs some tweaking, as most of the apis that it generates come out with code that SCASM doesn't like. After a little while, we get used to it and go straight to the problem even before trying to compile with it.

Shadow is also missing, so you have to add the line ShaddowCall to the api before using.

Many times the planes come out nose or tail into the ground, as well as with the wheels too far above or below the surface. You will have to correct that, as well.

Most of the textures are in that format xxxxx.0af, 1af, etc. If you want to change the textures, such as changing a Congo registration for a Burkina Faso one, it becomes a bit of labour.

Fortunately, the FS98 aeroplanes are, for the most part, simpler than more recent versions of FS and are not extremely heavy on the Frame Rate. Your system will feel it, though.

I have quite a few aircraft already done. If you want them, send me an email at fernmarques@yahoo.com and I will send you what I have, from Piper Cubs to MD11 USAF tankers, going through Tigermoths, F16, and a few others.

Fern

Country
spain
Mayday x 3 (help requested)

Good Evening Friends.

I have been developing sceneries for some months, and I can say that's a really interesting experience.

I didn't published nothing yet because I have chosen "bad" my projects (too large sceneries) in this moments I have three sceneries under development the big one "Miramar MCAS" and another two: the first one, of small size and another one of Medium size (both work for me also like training pads ;-) ).

A big problem is the compatibility between FSX and FS9, but anyway I'm not gonna speak about that now.....

I writing here because for me is ABSOLLUTELLY IMPOSSIBLE convert a FS98 or FS2000 aircraftS into STATIC MODELS ( I don't want to use "almost" static aircraft from IA models), using any of the available tools.

I need some help to convert the following models:

.- De Havilland C-7 "Caribou"
.- Boeing 727
.- Casa C-212 Aviocar.

to use it in one of my sceneries.

If someone can help me with this topic I leave here some links from fs98 fs2000 susceptible to be converted:

FS98

CARIBOU http://members.tripod.com/~helix_fs/aviones5/dhc4raaf.zip
CASA C-212 http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=18649
B727: http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=27797

FS2000

CARIBOU ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/flight-sim/uploads03/may/raafbou7.zip
CASA C-235 (well is not 212 but is ok..) http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=93298
B727 http://www.fsplanet.com/airline/ed_ib722.zip

Thanks in advance mates!!!.

Country
canada
Static planes from FS98/2000 planes

Hi, B747800

Here are a few items:

1. The tool is called Mdltobgl.exe. It doesn't register with Windows and it is very effective at creating macros of the aircraft that you can use in your scenery.

2. Just in case you don't know, most of those aircraft use the .0AF, .1AF, ,2AF format of texture and, if you want to change the paint job, be prepared for a bit of work, as you have to invert alll the bitmaps to be able to edit them and make them appear straigh (not upside down).

3. All the macros you'll create come out with no shadow. You'll have to edit the macro to place the ShaddowCall at the appropriate spot. They may also require a bit of attitude ajusting, to make sure all wheels are on the ground.

4. Many of the macros come out showing the planes with lights on. You'll have to edit the macro to get rid of that, too.

5. You'll need Arno's old ObPlacer to locate your macros, or FSSC (Flight Simulator Scenery Creator).

6. These macros don't work in FSX. In FSX they appear with the strangest texture pattern, with the polygons alternating textured, transparent, textured, transparent, in a checkerboard fashion that I couldn't figure out how to fix.

I am attaching a zip with quick recipies on how to remove the headlights and the night textures, how to add the shadow, and how to ajust the static attitude.

Fern
fernmarques@yahoo.com

Attachments

• MacroEditing.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 511
Country
spain
Mdltobgl ---no way---

Hi fern.

I Know the application MDLTOBGL, the XXXXing problems is that I can not make it work..... (I spent a lot of hours with that) Really there is no way........... :(

¿Any other posible solution?.

Javier.