MDL Tweaker and Windows Installer

When opening Tweaker II an installation of Windows Installer is immediately initiated. Tweaker will eventually open if I let the installer run its course or after repeated cancellation of the installer. Once the Tweaker is open, the Windows installer again wants to run on the first attempt to open a mdl file. Obviously this is annoying and greatly delays access to Tweaker. I have been using Tweaker for sometime without this issue, which seems to have started after I installed "Windows XP SP3", along with the assorted Netframe updates that followed. Is Tweaker having some sort of comptability issue with a newer version of Windows installer that might have come with one of these updates? Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Greg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Greg,

I have not heard about this before. Does the installer say what kind of file(s) it is looking for or wants to install?

MDL Tweaker does not use the .NET framework, so it should not be related to that. Did you try to reinstall MDL Tweaker itself to see if that fixes it?

Hi Arno

A standard Windows type dialogue box opens that states "Window Installer" and "Preparing to Install." I've attached a screen shot to show what it looks like. No further files are noted in the process. This is repeated once Tweaker is open and I attempt to open a file. This dialogue box does not reappear when I open subsequent files in the same session.

I did uninstall and reinstall Tweaker a couple of times but the problem persists. Tweaker works fine once it is open but the apparent installation of Window Installer is annoying. Each run of the installer takes about a minute or two. Very curious. I guess this is an inconvenience I can live so long as I can continue using the tool but it would be nice to solve the problem. I appreciate your speedy response to my post. Thanks!

Tweaker is the only application I have running (that I know of) that exhibits this odd behaviour.

Thanks.

Greg

Attachments

Hi again Arno

I think I solved the problem, although I don't understand how! I began checking every application on my computer and found that ActiveSky 6.5 was also very sluggish -- sometimes taking three minutes to synthesise the downloaded weather data. I ran the repair option from the installation file and that fixed not only the sluggish ActiveSky response but I no longer have the Windows Installer starting when I start Tweaker. Go figure!

I am curious to know how and why this problem cropped up but happy it is no longer an issue. Thank you again for your quick response to my initial post here in the forum.

Cheers

Greg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Greg,

Happy to hear you solved it, although I am just as confused as you about the solution :).