MDL-Tweaker II and Effects - Bug Report

Hi Arno.

Once more, one of these pesky requests. :tongue-ti

(Thanks once more for your tutorial about 1024+. At the moment, I try to avoid the necessity to manually merge ASM-code, because I'm actually working on really
complicated animations
, and the necessity for 1024+ is not imminent right now - but nevertheless, good to know, that the wiki's there now in a case of emergency!)

There is one more problem with the Tweaker II. Conditions on animated MDL's (tick18 in this case) don't work with effects. Everything is hidden, but not the effect-element. Looks kind of stupid on a ship - like a submarine, that scratches the surface. Is it possible for you to tweak the tweaker? You would do me a real favour and you would get an extra-fat "Thank you" in my next release - one, that you will like for sure, because it's full of funny little tweaks itself! ;)

Greetings and Thanks in Advance,
Gerd

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Gerd,

The conditions that MDL Tweaker can apply only affect the BGL section of the MDL file. Unfortunately effects are placed in a different section. It is not possible to apply conditions in that section.

There is one possibility, that I never tested. It might be possible to tweak the transformation matrix that is used to position the effect. Conditions can be used on those and that might allow removing an effect by scaling it to zero or moving it under the ground. But I am not sure as I never tested it.

Hi arno!

Thank you for your reply. :)

Ah ok... if I understand it right, the matrix itself would be regarded as a sub-object of the scenery-object. And if you tell the modified tweaking tool to let the object disappear for example, after tick18>500, it tells all "normal" sub-objects to disappear as usual and the matrix to morph into another state, one that kicks the effect into sub-zero-level or whatever... hehehe... :rotfl:

I suppose, you're not interested in coding such stuff, or are you? Why I'm so interested? My current project is to implement unlimited-range ocean traffic into FS2004. The preparations are almost finished. Right now, I only need a KML-file with a path across the ocean drawn in GoogleEarth. Then I click on a button, and if I start the simulator the next time, there is a containership - or whatever you choose - that drives peacefully across the ocean. (Shortest description possible... :p) It's super-simple now after the programming and (soo necessary) calibrating is done.

Now I only need to get more ships and tons of paths all around the globe, so I plan to make the path-building part a community project. ;)

.................................(The wake is static - no real effect...)

The relevant part of the story in this context: I use tick18 to let the animated ship disappear after riding down a 500m-line and reappear after 64512 ticks. (So the ships follow each other in 1-hour-cycles) And some wakes, smoke and night-lights on the ships would be soo glorious... :)

Greetings,
Gerd

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Gerd,

I guess I could take a look at conditioning the effects when I have some time to spare. Not sure when that will be exactly though...

That's nice of you.

If you do it, a little commandline-based tool going like "mdl_fx_tweaker -tick18 minvalue maxvalue -file namein.MDL nameout.MDL"
would be more than enough. :)

Greetings,
Gerd