• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Mesh showing over runway with exclude

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi, I have a problem with some old scenery I downloaded, I think it may have been originally made for fs2004. It's the airport for mustique, and I'm using p3dv3. It has many bgl's but when loaded the ground covers the runway. I deleted all the bgl's and remade a basic version from stock in ade. But the downloaded scenery had some elements I needed so reintroduced bgl's one at a time. One of the bgl's with cvx in the name suddenly creates new terrain over the airport and runway even with an exclude that was working before the cvx bgl was added. The terrain could be different to the default terrain. So, is it possible to include mesh in a cvx or somehow let mesh show through? Confused, any help appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Seems like a flatten feature has been suppressed. That happens when CVX scenery is exported without the -ADDTOCELLS flag and has no flatten polygon itself.

What happens if you use SBuilderX to make a flatten for the airport?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Dave, thanks for your help. Unfortunately I can't get sbuilder to compile vectors at the moment but I had a look at the cvx bgl, using cvxextractor and the xml doesn't have addtocells in the text. I found what i think is the poly over the runway, a flatten with altitude of 2.5 ft. It seems like its sitting 2.5ft above the runway so i assumed it had used ground level instead of sea level. I reset the 'altitude' to 0 and tried to recompile but get errors. I used p3d and fs2004 bglcomp, they both have the same issue. the file structure doesn't give FSdata as a tag but vectors instead which makes sense as its cvx file, but both compilers had problems with it "not declared in the DTD/Schema" and also vector, qmid and vector type. I will try and get sbuilder working again, is there a way to manually add addtocells to the xml?

thanks for your help,
Nick

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
First: CVX Scenery is not compiled using BGLComp. shp2vec is used for that.
Second: -ADDTOCELLS should not be included in the XMLs, don't edit them at all. -ADDTOCELLS is an argument in the command calling the shp2vec tool.
Have a look at the sdk documentation for the exact process.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Dave, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, will give that a go, still got a lot to learn.
Nick

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/mesh-showing-over-runway-with-exclude.438534/

Hi,

I have a problem with some old scenery I downloaded, I think it may have been originally made for fs2004. It's the airport for mustique, and I'm using p3dv3. It has many bgl's but when loaded the ground covers the runway. I deleted all the bgl's and remade a basic version from stock in ade. But the downloaded scenery had some elements I needed so reintroduced bgl's one at a time. One of the bgl's with cvx in the name suddenly creates new terrain over the airport and runway even with an exclude that was working before the cvx bgl was added. The terrain could be different to the default terrain. So, is it possible to include mesh in a cvx or somehow let mesh show through? Confused, any help appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

Hi Nick:

If you tell us which specific scenery package you 'downloaded', we could help you to better implement the customization you have indicated to be your goal. ;)

Assuming use and/or decompilation of BGLs from the above cited download of "Mustique Island" scenery is for your personal use (ex: learning how to make your own replacement CVX vector content if it is to be redistributed publicly), using CXVExtractor, you can decompile and export a ESRI SHP file of data within the "Mustique" CVX vector BGL in question, then "Append" that SHP file within SBuilderX.

BTW: If you are unable to get SBuilderX 3.14 (64-bit) working in your Windows version, try using SBuilderX version 3.13 (32-bit).

If you cannot get either of the above versions of SBuilderX to work in in your Windows version, please post in this thread, all error messages you are seeing when attempting to install / configure / run SBuilderX, so we can help get you fully up and running. :pushpin:

FYI: The default setting for FS SDK SHP2VEC compilation via SBuilderX and AFAIK, all other FS scenery utilities is to (internally) utilize the -ADDTOCELLS command switch parameter, so IMHO, you would not need to manually use a special procedure to implement that attribute in any resulting CVX vector BGLs output after processing and (semi-automatic) compilation via either ADE or SBuilderX.

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited: