• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Microsoft flight released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
us-california
Downloaded it already...loving it. :D

Not an FSX replacement (yet!) but certainly fun. The aircraft fly very realistically, performance is great, (very VERY optimized engine that relies heavily on your GPU) and it looks nice!

Country
puertorico
Downloaded it already...loving it. :D

Not an FSX replacement (yet!) but certainly fun. The aircraft fly very realistically, performance is great, (very VERY optimized engine that relies heavily on your GPU) and it looks nice!

Microsoft spent all of their time on 4 planes. If they aren't realistic, then they are more of a failure than they already are. Not giving the abomination the pleasure of being installed in my hard drive. :censored:

Country
us-arizona
I presently do not plan to download it. MS has made it clear that Devs are out. I originally came into FS via their Gmax addition so that I could make my own designs of planes. Its gone now, and so am I. ;)

Bill

Country
us-california
Microsoft spent all of their time on 4 planes. If they aren't realistic, then they are more of a failure than they already are. Not giving the abomination the pleasure of being installed in my hard drive. :censored:

Who said these 5 planes are all we are being left with? I suspect there's more stuff coming that we don't know about yet...just sayin'...

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
I presently do not plan to download it. MS has made it clear that Devs are out.
+1 from me.

In my opinion, Microsoft has behaved appallingly with the development of this title. I'm sure some will know what I refer to.

Country
us-utah
+1 from me.

In my opinion, Microsoft has behaved appallingly with the development of this title. I'm sure some will know what I refer to.

Yes the way they gave us huge bait and reeled us in for months was horrible.

I have tried a few flights and am not sold on the flight dynamics just yet not much options to tinker with either. Like "Easy" "Med" or "Hard" Flight model. So for now I am to believe the flight dynamics are dumbed down from the old MSFS. Also unless they add some crash detail other than just sparks the target audience wont be around for long and Flight might ultimately fail. It's the truth...

Country
france
I presently do not plan to download it. MS has made it clear that Devs are out. I originally came into FS via their Gmax addition so that I could make my own designs of planes. Its gone now, and so am I. ;)

Bill
Nothing I could add !

swb

Country
denmark

Bill

I totally agree on that. My passion for fs9 and fsx is also for the ability to customize the planes and environment through gmax and other cool tools.
Shame on Microsoft for cutting off a whole community of third party developers ! If it wasn't for this community I seriously doubt that any of the sims would still be alive. We can always hope they change their minds but untill then I stay on FSX.

Country
unitedstates
Fs9 and fsx for me here also but I do like fs9 better for its simplicity and great performance.

I have yet to try flight...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

mgh

Country
unitedkingdom
I actually downloaded and tried Flight before commenting.

It isn't a replacement for FSX, but that's surely been obvious since Microsoft closed ACES and stopped developing FSNext? That's confirmed by Microsoft's later press releases with their emphasis on "new...game-playing...social, shared experiences..." etc. I know Microsoft used words like "inspired by,...legacy...and welcoming..." in relation to the previous franchise but what did they actually mean?

Microsoft is a developer and took a commercial decision to develop Flight rather than FSNext. Isn't that what all commercial developers do?

I'll play with Flight for a while and leave it on my pc, but will revert to FSX for the foreseeable future. It cost me nothing and I've lost nothing.

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Gerry,

You are of course, correct. My gripe was more about MS extracting information as widely as they could, then cutting people off once they had what they wanted.

This decision, amongst others, was clearly commercial in nature, as was the entire project.

This is about income fo Microsoft from post-release revenue (ala iTunes) and always has been.

What they don't have is the "love" that makes a great FS project ...

What we don't have is any development tools. At that point the development path runs cold.

..... back to my preferred glitchy FS platform. :scratchch

Country
us-arizona
Did anyone see the introductory trailer on the main Flight page?

The planes are being flown right over ground obstacles and between buildings. Reminds me of Grand Theft Auto, teaching young kids to steel cars and pick up prostitutes as rewards. They seem to be trying to get kids to fly at public buildings and things.

I know, I know... 'Bill, stop, be serious, its just a game, for kids... ' But. the old Flight Simulators were 'serious' and for learning to 'really' fly.

Those were the days, at least for me. :) I sound like I am an old man now... <combs gray eyebrows>

EDIT: I must note, as I think about the above that I just wrote, that when my sisters kids would visit, they would come into Uncle Bills room and see the latest sim planes. They always flew at the outside view (over the rudder, behind the plane) and always flew into the ground and wrecked, giggled, hit the restore and did it again, over and over and over. Taking off in a Boeing 747 in a forested small Island was another adventure favorite. 'Uncle Bill, what happens if I run into this building?', etc, etc, etc... :S

With that said.. perhaps they 'are' on the right track. We are just too old and think like pilots.

<rubs in pain ointments into eyebrows... squizzle squizzle>

Last edited:
(Too old but you still think of virtual prostitutes as a reward?:))
I will not download Flight and that is it. It just might give them the idea that I will become a potential customer.

Country
panama
Hi guys...
Downloaded Flight and flew the two obligatory missions you must do before you get a Free Flight menu....It´s really a game which will not appeal the hard core simers.:mad::mad: The Flight dynamics are not too bad and did enjoy the PT-17. It´s a nice plane and flies very well. The graphics are like any of the latest games, nice well done and cute. The clouds a flop, balls of cotton all over....My grandsons will be testing it on the weekend so I´ll see their reaction but knowing kids like I do, I am pretty sure they will get bored fast.....just a game guys:(:(, beleive me. Anyway its free and was eager to try it. I stayed on it for about an hour and 15 minutes and closed it up:(...I spent the next three hours working on some scenery for a 1936 Ala Littoria Flight from Rome to Asmara...that was a hell of a Flight!!!!!.:)---- Rome to Asmara: http://www.fsadventuresky.com/deluxe

Last edited:
Well now that my NDA is up as of today...

I was on the Flight BETA team and started about 4 months ago. I made my opinion very clear with MS as a developer. There was a lot of outage on the BETA forums, yet it's as if they plugged their ears and went "lalalalala!"

I spent 2 days working on the BETA and dropped it. Their intended market is clearly not us, and they're more focused on making money than pleasing customers.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi all.

I'm downloading Flight as I write. I was on the beta, but I couldn't contribute anything as the beta would just not run on my computer. My older graphics card is most likely the culprit. I'm hoping the release version is a bit more forgiving. I might like the game.

Flight doesn't have much in common with developing aircraft or scenery, at this point. Perhaps Microsoft will release an SDK in the future, and then we'll have something to discuss. ;)

Threads and posts about Flight should be tolerated as long as we don't get personal, argue in circles, or bash Microsoft for how they betrayed us ( oops ). :D

How does it go... grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

As flightsim developers, we should all know this prayer. And I hope we all keep our sense of humor about what we cannot change.

Dick

Country
us-arkansas
I have about 100 hours with the Beta, haven't downloaded the RTM yet.

General - a very nice 'limited' flying program.

It is not MS Flight Simulator.

The 'best' new thing was the realistically sloped runways. They got it right, even better than some of the payware like Aerosoft Lukla. Landing the Stearman on a runway with a dip in the middle is a challenge. Luckly I've landed a Remos in the real world on such a runway, so knew how to do it.

The 'worst' new thing - the inability to really use the aircraft panels in my opinion. (Saw a post on another forum that the AP in the Maule does not work. No AP in Flight? I'll have to check on that.)

I can run Flight on a modestly updated laptop with a mouse - and take it on trips.

Can't quite take my three monitors, Saitek Yoke and Pedals, GoFlight Audio Console and Alienware computer setup as carry-on one a commercial flight.

My grandchildren who like MSFS, but do not have the patience to learn to fly, all love Flight. And two of the older ones have already learned enough from Flight to now understand MS FSX, and can finally fly the C-172 without help.

Maybe Flight can be an introduction to Flight Simulator for new fans. I hope so, because the current MSFS fan base has been shrinking for the past few years.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Reggie

That is an excellent summary of Flight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.