• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Minor Night Texture Improvement Help

Country
switzerland
Dear All,

Please could any one have a look at the picture below and tell me where could be the problem. I tried to Google but my search in vain, may be I am not searching for the right stuff.

Thanking you all once again.

With kind regards,
Gripen

upload_2015-4-13_23-43-31.png

Country
unitedstates
FAIB model?

This is sorta related to your other issues in that it has to do with the lightmaps.

This is a section of the *_L.bmp...
Capture.JPG

The 2 white bars correspond to the windows.

When the lights are on the sim lights up the area where the bar is.

To eliminate what you see you need to have just the windows white and not just a bar. It should look like the windows.

<added>
What you might run into is that different paints will have different window layouts, so having just one lightmap in ...\FSX\Textures will not work. You might need one on each liveries texture folder.
</added>

cheers,
Lane

Country
switzerland
Hi Lane,

Perfect in your assumption. It is a FAIB Model.

Thanks for the pointer once again. Got it...I note that I must edit the *_L.bmp file.

By any chance could you please point me to a tutorial where I could read / watch (video), how this could done for beginners.

Thanks once again.
Gripen

Country
unitedstates
I know of no video though it really isn't that hard, here is how I would do it in Photoshop.

The lightmap corresponds pixel for pixel with the diffuse texture.

Copy the lightmap and paste it as a new layer over the diffuse texture.

Select those 2 white bars with the rectangular "Add to selection" tool.

Turn the lightmap layer off, then carefully select the windows on the diffuse layer using a"Subtract from selection" tool.

Turn the lightmap layer back on, make sure it is the active layer and fill the selection with black, 0, 0, 0 RGB.

Copy the lightmap layer and paste it back on the lightmap texture and save.

cheers,
Lane

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
That texture you displayed looks like it should be the alpha channel, not the main texture. The alpha channel should be white in the windows area. Someone appears to have mixed them up.

Country
israel
Guys you are doing this all wrong, the problem is not with the lightmap _L file it is with the main _T texture file which is missing the proper FSX alpha to function.
My best bet would be you are trying to use an FS9 paint in FSX, this will not work properly as has been demonstrated by your screen shot.
The solution? find a proper FSX version of the repaint you are installing or contact the paint author and ask him if he could paint an FSX version.
In any case don't put individual lightmaps for your paints(keep the on from the basepack in your main FSX texture folder) and don't edit the lightmap by hand as window lighting and other functions are all controlled in the main _T texture file for every repaint.

Country
us-texas
There is a model update. SP1 I would suggest to get that if you do not have them. And yes the _LM texture to all FAIB got into main texture folder. I do not have this problem and have some fs9 repaints, looking normal in fsx.