• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Minor request: identifying axes in 3D Preview

Country
us-washington
Hi Arno,

A minor request; would it be possible for you to somehow identify the axes in the 3D Preview? Perhaps colored, or labeled x, y, z?

I've figured out that in Sketchup, solid green is 'go' for an AI object, and when the object is opened in MCX, it will be headed away from the camera. But once I start twirling things around, I loose track of which way is which. :)

Your fix for transparenies in a recent development release is great by the way!

Thanks so much,

Larry

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Larry,

I think that feature is somewhere on the wishlist already, let me give it a bump :).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, should be similar to the axes already shown for the attached objects. The only thing I need to look at is to have them always display in the corner of the preview window, even if you pan.

Country
us-washington
Adding an arrow perhaps, just as with the attached objects?

Yes, being able to see which way is positive, and which negative would most useful to make sure the object does not go backwards. :) Sketchup shows this by making the positive direction solid, and negative dashed. Or an arrow would work. I'm assuming that a right handed coordinate system is common to all the different applications.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, being able to see which way is positive, and which negative would most useful to make sure the object does not go backwards. :) Sketchup shows this by making the positive direction solid, and negative dashed. Or an arrow would work.

For the attachpoints I am showing a line in the positive direction only. So that should give a good idea. I plan to do the same for the normal axes.

I'm assuming that a right handed coordinate system is common to all the different applications.

Well, FS uses a left handed system internally, so it is not always common. But for modelling tools I think it is.