• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Missing object in scenery

Country
germany
Hello guys,

For quite a while now I'm trying to find a solution for a strange problem. I downloaded a freeware airport where the author recommended to
<quote>
5. Browse to the "\Scenery\NAME\Texture" folder and COPY these 2 texture files:
jfk_jetway.dds
jfk_jetway_LM.dds
PASTE them into the "\Scenery\Global\Texture" folder.​
</quote>
I found files named like this in the folder (and as well in BMP-format). However, the only visible jetways in the scenery (highest possible setting) are the default dynamic ones. I decided looking into the AFCAD and found the respective objects including their footprints (I would have expected rather black ones).

upload_2016-12-22_22-45-56.jpeg

I searched the object library and didn't find it (neither the GUID nor a text search). Could somebody give me please a hint where to look at?

Country
unitedkingdom
I find that it is better to put these files into the 'Texture' folder that is in the same folder that contains the 'Scenery' folder that you used to position the airport BGL.

[folderA] \Scenery\ airport.bgl
[folderA] \Texture\ dds files

Country
germany
Try copying those textures to the main FSX\Texture folder.

cheers,
Lane

Lane, I already tried this - no success...

I find that it is better to put these files into the 'Texture' folder that is in the same folder that contains the 'Scenery' folder that you used to position the airport BGL.

[folderA] \Scenery\ airport.bgl
[folderA] \Texture\ dds files

...and of course this as well.

You might see in the picture that the footprint is deciphered and it should be therefore an object known by ADE (at least I think so), but it doesn't show up.

This is the property window and I would be happy if anybody could check the own Object Library Manager whether the object is known.
upload_2016-12-23_0-28-5.png

BTW, I checked the default JFK and didn't find this object. Could it be something in FS9?

EDIT: Meanwhile I imported the newyork.bgl (FSX) and now the jetway is part of the library. Although it doesn't help.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
If this is from the author I think it is the readme also instructs you to put the OBJ.bgl in ...\Scenery\Global\scenery.

This file contains .mdl in it, which is why he want those textures in ...\Scenery\Global\texture.

Regardless of where you put the OBJ.bgl, putting the textures in ...\FSX\Texture should work.

The fact that it doesn't work has me wondering if the OBJ.bgl is in an active scenery folder.

FTR, I have several of this author's addons and have always put the OBJ.bgl with the rest of the .bgl files (not in ...\Scenery\Global\scenery) and the textures in ...\FSX\Texture. This procedure has always worked for me.

Of course this is all assuming we are talking about the work of RS.

What addon are we talking about?

cheers,
Lane

Country
newzealand
Axel,
those jetways are from the newyork.bgl in FSX, not sure if this is one of my airports,
i don't normally have a parking spot like that which is very close to the terminal so the jetway will probably not operate
you can also place those 2 textures into the Addon Scenery/texture folder, you may have to then move the Addon Scenery to the top of the FSX settings priority list,
I have them working ok in either folder
open the FSX/Scenery/NAME/scenery/newyork.bgl with MCX and you will find them, which it looks like you have already
you have to import the "newyork.bgl" into the ADE/LOM for them to show in ADE which i take it you have already done,
you will also need to add the "newyork_18.mdl" to the ADE/List/Models of they will "not" compile into the bgl

Attachments

• jfk jetway.JPG
    jfk jetway.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Country
germany
Thanks guys for taking the time.

What addon are we talking about?

It's not 'RS'. The scenery file 'oosa_ade_dyna_fsx_p3d.zip' is available via AVSIM and made by a guy named Ahmed Abdessalam being quite active obviously in the Near East simmer scene. The ZIP only contains Jim Dhaenens lights (lightobj.bgl), unfortunately without mentioning the author.

I touched this spot while flying around the world with Aerosoft, a 'forum event' initiated about a year ago. If you're interested you may want to read what we are doing ... Meanwhile I published quite bundle of airports there, context oriented. Mostly quick fixes, sometimes amendments of existent freeware (where you would need to install the original work) and in a few cases AFCADS right from sketch.

you have to import the "newyork.bgl" into the ADE/LOM for them to show in ADE which i take it you have already done,
you will also need to add the "newyork_18.mdl" to the ADE/List/Models of they will "not" compile into the bgl

Ray, you're right, I already imported it into the ADE/LOM, but I thought that such models already being present in FSX would be used when addressed by ADE. It's at least nothing I used in the past and would be urgently interested why it is necessary. If the "why" is somewhere explained in ADE's docs or here at FSDeveloper I like to ask you for a hint, else I kindly ask you for a brief explanation. I have the sneaking suspicion that ADE can only work with models that can be extracted from (active) object libraries and not from 'normal' scenery BGLs. However, why it was able to show up in ADE before I added the object to the LOM (even the footprint?).

After importing the model into the list it worked - I just tested it. Thanks for the hint!
2016-12-23_OOSA_AB_s.jpg

Hey, I think we've had a brief exchange via mail about Bangkok (not quite sure at the moment) and it's really time thanking you for your outstanding work. However, in one case I had to change the elevation of one of both airports as your RJCC (New Chitose) did not match to the level of its neighbour RJCJ. I wanted them working together. :duck:

I wish all of you pleasant holidays and and an even better New Year. Thanks again for helping.

Country
newzealand
Axel,
the reason you need the "newyork_18.mdl" in the ADE/Lists/Models, ADE does not extract mdl's from the bgl, MCX does this, and the textures for it placed in the recommended texture folder is so the jetway can be placed at any airport anywhere in the world, of course at KJFK airport you don't need to do anything for them to show,

RJCC, i worked with Craig Scott on his version of RJCC where he combined it with RJCJ, i think he changed the altitude of RJCJ so all 4 runways will be used by RJCC, as you know the default airport has a different elevation to RJCC
his file is "new_chitose_rjcc_fsx.zip" at Avsim if you would like to take a look at it, works fine but there were limitations for the use of RJCJ............

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
ADE was aware of the objects because they are default and already in the ADE database.

They did not show in the sim for you as they are sort of geo-locked by having the model in the newyork.bgl along with the placement data.

This "geo-lock" prevents them from being displayed in the sim anywhere except the New York area.

By placing the .mdl file in your new Salalah file FSX can now display it there as well.

cheers,
Lane

Country
germany
Ray,

Thanks again for the explanation regarding the model handling. This opens some nice options for reusing default stuff I didn't even think about before.
RJCC, i worked with Craig Scott on his version of RJCC where he combined it with RJCJ, i think he changed the altitude of RJCJ so all 4 runways will be used by RJCC, as you know the default airport has a different elevation to RJCC
his file is "new_chitose_rjcc_fsx.zip" at Avsim if you would like to take a look at it, works fine but there were limitations for the use of RJCJ............
I just looked into my downloads and found your file. Then I checked my own FS folder and saw my own CXV and the level changing stub. That's what I had published in the mentioned forum, based on the default airport. As far as I can judge both airports remained independent regarding AI-traffic, but it was possible changing the sides for me as a human armchair pilot.

This "geo-lock" prevents them from being displayed in the sim anywhere except the New York area.
Lane,

I remember the discussion here, but I didn't think about the fact that this could influence somehow 'interchangeable' objects.

Again, have some nice days!