• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Model Converter X - Texture assignment

Country
canada
Hi, Everyone

Is there a way of seeing in Model Converter X (any version; I use 130 and 140) the textures assigned to each piece of object?

I ask because, when exporting as 3DS object, when importing into gmax, many of the texture names are so messed up it bcomes impossible to figure them out. In a slightly more complex object, figuring out what textures go where becomes a nightmare.

Thanks

Fern

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

In MCX you can highlight (red) parts that use a specific material. Just check the box in the Material Editor and click on one of the Materials.

Country
canada
Aha! Thanks, Tom!

This will simplify the texture naming mess in 3DS objects in gmax.

Thanks

Fern

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

This is how I sort those:

1. Use the red highlight in MCX to find a part that uses one of the materials.
2. Remember the texture(s) used for that part.
3. In GMAX, use the Pick button in the Material Editor (red ball button) and click on the part from step 1. A material will appear.
4. Click on the blue and white cube so the texture will be visible in the GMAX display
5. Click one of the messed up texture names listed in the Maps section.
6. Double click the black box in the resulting window labeled Bitmap.
7. Browse to the correct texture, click it, and click Open.
8. Repeat for any other textures used by this material.

Note that many times I find that scenery objects have had the night texture assigned to the Self Illumination slot, which causes my FS9 MakeMDL to give me an error. In these cases the quickest way I've found to remove the error is to create a new material with the LM night texture in the Ambient slot instead and Apply this new material to all parts involved. There may be a way to edit this "bad material" but I've never found it. I don't know if this is also true for the FSX and later XtoMDL programs though.

Hope this helps,