• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Model disappears when exported from blender to fsx mdl

Country
us-minnesota
I'm going crazy with this. Since I updated to the latest tools, Blender2FSXP3Dv09.4, I can no longer see the model when the MDL is loaded into MCX. It appears with the simple shader (red teapot unchecked) but when I click it to see the animation, the model disappears. I've loaded an earlier animation I made prior to this tool set and re-export it with same results. I've attached the files related to this simple animation (tom4.zip) that works in Blender but not in MCX.

I've included another animation that seems to have similar issues.

Perhaps someone can tell me what I might be doing wrong or what settings I need to change to make the model visible with advanced shaders.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• tom4.zip
    792.8 KB · Views: 126
  • standingpilotanim.zip
    575.2 KB · Views: 147
Country
us-minnesota
Thanks gastonj, Yes...I know that tom4 worked - and have used it in scenery. My problem is that with the old tools it would work in MCX. It is not visible in my MCX when exported from my new blender version and new p3dfsx tool. This makes me think that my install of the current version of the toolkit - Blender2FSXP3Dv09.4 - is messed up or I must tweak some settings. I would have thought that Blender would keep the original settings on the import of the blender file and that I should just be able to export it back to mdl without a problem. This is not the case with my new blender install. I'm still wondering what to do, as I followed the new tool install - I'm using Blender version 2.79 by the way with the blender2fsxp3d tool. I don't get any errors on the mdl file creation but I new get a warning about LOD when I push the verification button.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this for me.

John

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I haven't looked at your files, but which of the toolkit did you have prior to v0.094... if it was the previous (directly) before the current, what might has happened is that you might have both versions installed. The previous doesn't have the same files with the same names (though some do) goto into User preferences -> plugins and check. If I remember correctly you might notice 4 or 5 files... when there should be 3.

Even if you updated Blender to v2.79b, the plugins, do not get removed.

Hopefully this is the only problem...

Country
us-minnesota
Thanks Pyscen, I checked and I only have the 3 files shown in the install instructions. I deleted and reinstalled the program and tools but still same results - I see the animation bar in MCX but I can only see a non-animated model in simple shader mode and it disappears in complex shader mode (clicking the red teapot).

Is there certain settings in the FSXP3d tools material settings other than Skinned Mesh that I need to set (other than what was defaulted or saved from the model's old blend file that might be keeping this model invisible in complex shading?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Make sure the LOD and the Armature (animation) are selected prior to exporting to the .x file.

Then when exporting, these boxes need to be click "on" or checked" (should be under the toolkit, of course):

Export Selection, Apply modifiers, Export Animations/LOD, Skinned mesh, and Export model...

I didn't get any errors within blender on export and within MCX: Was able to view in the complex shader viewport without any problems.

Try it out! ;)

Country
us-minnesota
blend3.jpg
I've done these things (I believe), but sadly I still get a disappearing model when clicking complex shader.

blend1.jpg
blend2.jpg

Country
france
Hello...

Make sure the LOD and the Armature (animation) are selected prior to exporting to the .x file.

Then when exporting, these boxes need to be click "on" or checked" (should be under the toolkit, of course):

Export Selection, Apply modifiers, Export Animations/LOD, Skinned mesh, and Export model...

I didn't get any errors within blender on export and within MCX: Was able to view in the complex shader viewport without any problems.

Try it out! ;)

And all is bright ? Never got a correct bones animation with the Blender toolkit showing correctly in MCX. Can you do a video with animations for Tom4 in MCX?

JMC

Country
us-minnesota
Ok...interestingly, I've discovered my problem (or part of it). I was not selecting the entire model when I was exporting selection. selecting bones and mesh gives me the visual model in advanced shading (Yeah!). I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the assigning the animation to the armature or the mesh or both. Often I end up with no animation, but I did get a partial animation. Not sure what I'm doing wrong on the selection of the model when assigning the animation. I note that the keyframes are only visible in the timeline when the armature is selected. I note that there appears to be a separate animation property for both armature and the model.

John

Country
us-minnesota
Ok...got it working! I had assign the animation to the armature, then select all items and export that way to mdl.

Thanks for all your time and help.

John

Country
us-minnesota
Here's the screen prior to export. Note the animation assigned to the armature and then full model selected before the export. No animation assigned to the model itself. Not sure if this is the way things are supposed to work or if there's something I should change, but at least I can get the animated model exported.

John

blend4.jpg

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Another way without having to do what you did... what I did...

Selected both the Armature and the LOD:

Armture_LOD.png

Then from the File tab - > Export -> DirectX for FSX (P3D)

Export-Screen.png

Then before exporting: making sure these are checked:

After export.png

and Done: finished once you have click to save.

Again, as stated - no errors and you didn't have to change anything (of course I'm going by what I saw within MCX animation). The animations appear to be complete in comparison to Blender and MCX.

Glad you found the problem though....

Country
france
It's very strange to see you select everything to export a selection. In principle, when selection is not checked, the complete model is exported.

JMC

Country
france
Hello...

Another way without having to do what you did... what I did...

Selected both the Armature and the LOD:

View attachment 48975

Then from the File tab - > Export -> DirectX for FSX (P3D)

View attachment 48976

Then before exporting: making sure these are checked:

View attachment 48977

and Done: finished once you have click to save.

Again, as stated - no errors and you didn't have to change anything (of course I'm going by what I saw within MCX animation). The animations appear to be complete in comparison to Blender and MCX.

Glad you found the problem though....

Hi,

This is the bone animation as shown by mcx. Make a comparison with the same in FSX (previous post #2) :

https://mega.nz/#!J2xX1IBL!NDKE24G5mRR3r6AReADnvHFQ-NgH8Fi7tuJto752Za4

so i'm surprised you get some results.

JMC

Country
france
Yes, I don't know where is the problem, animation works fine in FSX and buggy in MCX....but for you it seems ok (moreover the same file, same toolkit...pfft)!
JMC

What are the Visual C++ redistributable versions in your PC ?

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I suggest you look into MCX settings - considering you said it worked in FSX (worked in for P3D for me also). I'll PM what my MCX settings and C+ Redist versions as well, but you would most likely be getting errors if the C+ Redist files were not there or incorrectly installed.

Country
france
Yes you are right. I have a problem with my pc W7. I don't know why but the animation works fine in my portable PC with w10. I think a file is corrupted (I use only SSD) but I have problem finding that. MCX is the only one showing this default. A fresh install of MCX don't cure the problem.
JMC

Last edited: