ModelConverterX 1.1 release

As far as I can see the translucent textures are indeed translucent in the SKP files but then, they are exported as jpegs and of course turn opaque.
Check the texture in sketchup and you will see it is transparent.
And indeed, as Scott remarks, each time you make some changes to the skp file and load it into MCX, the textures have changed into texture0.jpg, texture1.jpg etc and you have to rename them again. But that is a minor inconnvenience as it easily remedied.
Thanks for pointing out the 'set to transparent' as default. Did not think of that. Will check that as well as the original texture contains alpha for sure.

transparency issue

I am probably doing something wrong but I wanted to verify this.
The translucent texture I am using is either completely opaque when I set default to opaque in MCX or completely invisible when setting default to transparent (I converted the jpg to dxt3 with DXTBMP and used an alpha template).

UPDATE: setting default as transparent and inverting alpha in dxtbmp did the trick. So issue solved.

Last edited:
New question:
Is there a way to mitigate the hard shadow of the object texture imported? You cannot do that in Sketchup so it would have to be done in MCX if possible at all.
Not that I am addicted to it, but I am stuck at home because of the snow.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
It just keeps getting better. At the risk of thread drift, it seems like in sketchup that each use of a texture results in sketchup creating a new texture file when exporting the dae. Is there some way to get sketchup to use a single texture sheet for multiple applications?
Not sure about that, I guess it might be a manual thing that you have to do when converting to FSX MDL. At that stage you could replace it with the correct texture file.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Rob,

Is there a way to mitigate the hard shadow of the object texture imported? You cannot do that in Sketchup so it would have to be done in MCX if possible at all.
Can you explain the problem a little more, I am not sure I understand it?

Depending on where the light comes from a texture is either in the light or in the shadow. You can have a soft shadow where the difference between the lit textures and textures in the shadow is small, or a hard shadow or no shadow at all. See attachment where the object is colored grey but the top part above the doors is almost white.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

In FS you should also get this kind of shading, if that does not work out it might be that your normals are not set correctly. You can check that in ModelConverterX.

Hi,

In an hour or so I am going to freeze my balls off, singing on a Xmas market for charity purposes. But I would prefer to invite some homeless in and stay the night or as many nights as necessary in our guesthouse, instead of suffering -10ºC (with windchill -15º).
But that should be between brackets.
Thanks for the info but in the meantime I managed to work better with the modelconverter that has more possibilities than before (apparently your last stable release includes more things than the various development releases).
What I wanted to suggest, if that is possible, is to have an "undo" possibilitiy?
Meantime I have been experimenting with Sketchup and another issue could be (unless I have overlooked something again) that colors imported cannot be rendered transparent or semi transparent.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Rob,

In most models textures with alpha channel will be used for transparent colours. But I will check, I think there is a problem in the COLLADA reader at the moment that the level of transparency might not be read in correctly. And after I fix that, I need to check if it will export again correctly to FS. I'll put it on the todo list.

The most recent development release always has all functions in it, for sure more than the latest stable release.

Yep there are some issues such as these (a search here on Sketchup should give you a good list)

The best way, in my opinion, is to simply discard all the exported SU textures and re-create them in Gmax (the actual UVW mapping will persist, but the texture definition will be new). This is OK if you have modelled in SU with a view to use in FS but if the original model has come from, say, the 3D warehouse, all the textures wont exist on a single 1024*1024 etc sheet.....so you shift the problem from difficulty of modelling to difficulty in texturing.

The other 'issue' with sketchup is that, due to its simplicity, it is easier to make really junk geometry....I originally had visions of 'yay, now everyone can model their local aerodrome, send it to me for conversion and we will quickly populate the FS world'. The reality was, for the one aerodrome building I got from another novice modeller, it would have been quicker to simply start from scratch than it would have been to fix the mistakes etc

Last edited:
Hi Arno,

Re:"In most models textures with alpha channel will be used for transparent colours"
I was not talking about textures but about importing colors in MCX.
I think that using colors instead of textures makes the object less heavy but one of the things I do not know how to do then is how to make these colors (semi) transparent as there is no texture file to add alpha to.
Re: "In FS you should also get this kind of shading,..."
Yes I do, that is the problem. Is there a way to decrease the shading?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Rob,

I was not talking about textures but about importing colors in MCX. I think that using colors instead of textures makes the object less heavy but one of the things I do not know how to do then is how to make these colors (semi) transparent as there is no texture file to add alpha to.
I think there are some options in the FlightSimX material for this, but I need to check. But for the performance it is worse to use a lot of colours, since each of them will add a new drawcall to your object. So if you are instead using one texture sheet it will give better performance.

Yes I do, that is the problem. Is there a way to decrease the shading?
Not that I am aware of. Sometimes the difference between the sides of the object is a bit big, but that can not be influenced.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

The other 'issue' with sketchup is that, due to its simplicity, it is easier to make really junk geometry....I originally had visions of 'yay, now everyone can model their local aerodrome, send it to me for conversion and we will quickly populate the FS world'. The reality was, for the one aerodrome building I got from another novice modeller, it would have been quicker to simply start from scratch than it would have been to fix the mistakes etc
Yes, it is not a magic tool. But if you use it with care you can make objects for FS with it. And I think it is easier to use for most people. But if you just start adding geometry and materials it will not work that good in FS.