• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ModelConverterX alpha 01 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Here is the first alpha release of the ModelConverterX tool. Let me start with a warning, I tested the tool on some of the API objects I have laying around here, but I can certainly not yet guarantee that it will work on your API macros as well. As this is a first test release, you might have some crashes or errors. If you don't like that, you'd better wait for a more stable version. If you don't care, please test and let me know about all errors and problems you find. That will help in improving the tool.

For this first version the installation is quite simply, just unzip the file to wherever you want. Please note that one DLL file needs registering, so I made a batch file (register.bat) to do that for you. So please run that batch file, as else the 3D preview will not work.

There is no manual yet, so let me describe the main features:

Import: The file menu import option allows you to import a new file. Currently supported are API, SCM and SCA files.

Export: The file menu export option allows you to export the object you have loaded as a X file that you can compile with XtoMDL. You will have to do the compilation manually for the moment (in future versions it will be done in the background).

All other menus don't really contain something useful yet (the Options in the Tools menu do nothing for now for example).

The navigation in the 3D window is also quite simple. Hold down the left mouse button to rotate the object and the right mouse button to pan it. With the mouse wheel you can zoom in and out.

So far for the manual. As this is the first alpha release, there are some known bugs. I'll list the most important here:

• Not all SCASM commands are implemented yet. If you have a object without too many special features I think it should work. But please report back any problems you have.
  • I noticed that on an object with double sided polygons, the second side was not read in correctly (problem with the normal I guess), so it only showed single sided.
  • The shading of ShadedPoly and ShadedTexPoly polygons does not work correctly yet, so they appear unshaded for the moment.

That are the most important bugs I can think of for now, but I am sure you will be able to find some more. So if you want, please test the tool so that we can improve it together. Thanks already,

Last edited:
Country
scotland
ModelConverterX

Hi Arno

I was very much looking forward to your latest tool as I have many, many API files which need updating for current use. However I have so far had no luck in opening any of my files in your tool.
As a test I have created a simple textured box with Novasim and saved as API file and then tried to import into ModelconverterX. Here is what I am getting and this has been the result with most files I have tried, although the messages at the bottom have varied.

URL=http://imageshack.us]
modelconverterxtestqn4.jpg
[/URL]

Maybe I am missing something obvious here!

Iain
Scotflight

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi iain,

Did you read this sentence from my original post? Not registering that DLL will give the result your screenshot shows.

Please note that one DLL file needs registering, so I made a batch file (register.bat) to do that for you. So please run that batch file, as else the 3D preview will not work.

Country
scotland
Hi Arno

Yes, actually I did read your instruction and I ran the batch file and I have ran it again and received a 'successful' message but sadly the situation with the import of the object has not changed from the screen I sent earlier.

Iain
Scotflight

Country
france
hi All,

thank you very much Arno for this new tool..:)

At the moment on my computer, Model ConverterX doesn't seem to convert my old simple EOD objects ( api or scm formats) : the software is freezing after loading the macro.

It can read with success simple fsds2 api : I must try the whole process to test the mdl..

Best regards , pascal

Country
netherlands
Hi Arno

Yes, actually I did read your instruction and I ran the batch file and I have ran it again and received a 'successful' message but sadly the situation with the import of the object has not changed from the screen I sent earlier.

Iain
Scotflight

Hi Arno & Iain,
I got the same negative results after doing exactly the same as Iain...
Regards
Bert

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi iain,

Could you maybe send me your test object? Then I can try it here and see if the same things happen.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Pascal,

At the moment on my computer, Model ConverterX doesn't seem to convert my old simple EOD objects ( api or scm formats) : the software is freezing after loading the macro.

Could you provide a sample of such a EOD macro so that I can debug the tool?

I think most macros I tested until now have been either FSDS1 or FSDS2 so that might explain why they work better :).

Country
scotland
Hi Arno

I have attached my test object.
Do you require texture/s files?

Iain

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks Iain, no I should be fine without the textures as well. I know if can not crash on not finding them :).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
After taking a quick look at the API I think I know what is crashing it, the texture list contains some math for the texture scale. I will have to if my parser likes that, but I guess not. I'll report back once I tested it in more detail.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks Iain and Pascal, the sample macros from you have helped a lot.

I can now read the API from Iain correctly, and for the collection of Pascal I am still working it. But these extra samples are great to hunt bugs with.

I hope to have an update ready by tomorrow that will not crash that often anymore :).

Country
scotland
ModelConverterX alpha 01 release Reply to Thread

Hi Arno

Good to hear of your progress.
Look forward to your update:)

Iain
Scotflight

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Just a little update. I made some progress today, but not at much as I hoped. So I will not be able to release the update today as I posted. That means it will be on Sunday (because tomorrow I am spending most of my day on my bicycle, participating in a nice ride).

Country
netherlands
Just a little update. I made some progress today, but not at much as I hoped. So I will not be able to release the update today as I posted. That means it will be on Sunday (because tomorrow I am spending most of my day on my bicycle, participating in a nice ride).

Have a nice ride Arno!

bye
Bert

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
New version is available here. I can load all API macros you have submitted into it correctly. And I have also added some other improvements.

Let's continue the discussion in the new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.