• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ModelConverterX alpha 03 release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
unitedstates
Hi Bill,

Could you send me the SCM file? It seems you have found an unsupported command or so. If I have your file I can debug the problem (and hopefully fix it as well).

It is on its way.

Attachments

• fence_split_rail.zip
    1 KB · Views: 449

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Bill,

Thanks, I think I see the problem already. This SCM macro is so user-configurable, that it does not contain fixed vertices. It's size totally depends on the variables the user enters while placing the object. At the moment ModelConverterX does not support the user variables though, so that is why you get the errors here.

I'll see if I can improve this in a future version, but there is no quick fix for this problem.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Bill,

Thanks, I think I see the problem already. This SCM macro is so user-configurable, that it does not contain fixed vertices. It's size totally depends on the variables the user enters while placing the object. At the moment ModelConverterX does not support the user variables though, so that is why you get the errors here.

I'll see if I can improve this in a future version, but there is no quick fix for this problem.

Thanks, that one came from a group of fences used in Sbuilder and I was not sure it could be used in SbuilderX. It worked just fine and I now have my split rail fence using SbuilderX at my other airport that I am working on (PN40).

Arno,

I am getting a "send error report" when trying to open ModelConverterX:

ModelConverterX has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Some more info:

AppName: modelconverterx.exe AppVer: 0.0.3.0 AppStamp:46fd731c
ModName: mscorwks.dll ModVer: 2.0.50727.832 ModStamp:461f2e2a
fDebug: 0 Offset: 0016b28f

I do have .net 3.5 installed.

Regards
Johan

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Johan,

That error does not really tell me much I am afraid. Does the problem already happen when you start the tool (so before loading any object)?

Do you also have .NET 2.0 installed? That is the version I used. I don't think having 3.5 rules out the need to install 2.0.

Country
scotland
Hi Arno

I have been trying to convert some further API files, all made with Novasim and have run into problems. In the attached example when the file is imported some sides of the building are textured whereas other sides are not. On looking at the .x file I see some of the texture file names have not been added correctly and consequently the .mdl file produced does not display the object correctly in FSX.

Iain

Last edited:
Arno,

The programs starts, I can see the GUI, but without the menu bar.

I do have .NET 2.0 installed. I will reinstall .NET 2.0.

Regards
Johan

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Iain,

I have been trying to convert some further API files, all made with Novasim and have run into problems. In the attached example when the file is imported some sides of the building are textured whereas other sides are not. On looking at the .x file I see some of the texture file names have not been added correctly and consequently the .mdl file produced does not display the object correctly in FSX.

Thanks, I will take a look at it. Might take a few days before I come to you about this.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Johan,

The programs starts, I can see the GUI, but without the menu bar.

Does the error message you get contain any more information, for example about the kind of crash it is? That might help in finding out where it goes wrong.

It just the normal report to be send to MS, it just say Error signature and then the normal "view the contents of the error report".

I have reinstalled .NET 2.0, the problem is still present.

Regards
Johan

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Johan,

Which OS are you using? I searched around a bit and found this support article from MS, but I am not sure yet if it is exactly the problem you are having.

Arno,

I have given up on this. I have redone the objects in GMax, I was running out of time.

I will still try to solve this, I have never experienced this before.

Regards
Johan

Country
france
Hello

I was interested in converting the scm of "Fences_and_Walls_for_SBuilder".
I get similar error messages

Presently, I just succeeded in converting some usual API (small workshop, ...); it works well in FSX, but generally objects are very big and need to be scaled (i.e. 0.02).

Pierrot - FMEP

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Pierrot,

The scale that you need to use depends on how the API was designed. Older macros were often designed so that you had to place them with a small scale, that will then also be the case for the converted MDL objects. I plan to add an option later where you can specify the default scale, so that the MDL will already be scaled with that.

About the SBuilder fences, see my previous post about that. Without the user variables that macro does not contain any information. And user variables are not supported by ModelConverterX at the moment. I even doubt if converting them is useful, as we now have XML fences in FsX which are a lot easier then placing a lot of MDL objects.

Country
france
Thanks for answers.

Concerning scale, I can get it for instance in FSSC which (often) displays the scale of API.

Concerning new xml fences, I'm interested.

I know only the following:

{606389DC-0A8B-432e-A8F6-C4187B3A8F35} Fence Vertical 2 meter with bent top
{5027DD02-7E3C-4cef-A10D-258B29C2F814} Fence three section curve
{77251C22-DEC5-47b2-AC04-D3DF1B230C59} Fence 3 meter diagonal
{02D65B05-F752-47a3-83AF-D570243EB3EE} 5 Meter Chain-link
{A825DE17-9AD3-4e40-8DA3-2CE71A0D7E5C} 5 Meter Chain-link with wire
{863E1B24-CAFB-4626-B240-EA0E8213A33B} Generic 3-part Blast Fence
{199A1A9C-FA7C-4ef2-8EEA-E4FE6CCD3FC7} Generic 1-part Blast Fence
{553FF6C5-D5CE-452f-897B-9855399ACB33} Chain link group
{672FE79D-8F61-4f30-9C79-EC5755212F2A} Default blast fence grouping
{91CE5D88-59B9-41e2-9776-B371490FC378} Tiny Blast Fence
{28C633DA-8926-48aa-B467-30799560462E} Small Blast Fence
{A8BEB882-F11F-4743-B09B-34F45F380802} Medium Blast Fence
{5B05E5FC-915B-4c87-A31D-615BC9DBF1AB} Large Blast Fence
{BAFC77D3-FA52-4cc2-B713-7609560BB026} Huge Blast Fence
{F2C1F621-8089-42a4-8719-E77EC7139CC4} Tiny Boundary Fence
{C0224543-5D3F-4063-8DE4-CD6D0DE92650} Small Boundary Fence
{5ACB60E6-992B-41c7-929B-E31D5343CD29} Medium Boundary Fence
{A3A491B1-EF49-47db-9C2B-080F48A5EA5D} Large Boundary Fence
{F8C92217-857D-4dad-AB16-C6258FD76CDB} Huge Boundary Fence

SBuilder fences contain more various types, such as wooden fences, cement walls, crowd fences,...
I tried to make them in FSDS, but I have problem with transparency!!!

Pierrot - FMEP

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You are right, the XML code has probably less options than SBuilder. So if you want all these options then you would still have make the objects yourself. But these objects are quite simple in general, so making a new object with a double sided plane is probably not that much work.

In later versions I will have a look at the user variables, but for the moment they are not so high on my todo list.

Country
france
Hello!

I agree that it's easy to make a rectangle and texture both faces. My problem is to keep transparency in FSX from FS9 bmp textures files!

Pierrot - FMEP

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Arno,

Just a quickie,I cannot get ut to Run under Vista x64... This may be due to the GflAx.dll failing to register. This is the error when the application hangs below... its not urgent, but might be useful to you...

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 24/11/2007 20:24:39
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: XR219
Description:
The program ModelConverterX.exe version 0.0.3.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: f80 Start Time: 01c82ed802de3766 Termination Time: 16
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-11-24T20:24:39.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>18807</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>XR219</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>ModelConverterX.exe</Data>
<Data>0.0.3.0</Data>
<Data>f80</Data>
<Data>01c82ed802de3766</Data>
<Data>16</Data>
<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I don't have Vista myself, but I will try to figure out how to register the DLL there.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Iain,

Sorry for not coming back on this issue. Today I have been scanning the forum for still open bugs to address in the next version and I came across your problem again.

It seems the parser does not read the TextureList correctly in your sample, causing an offset of the arguments (and thus wrong texture names). I think this is caused by the %4 scale math done in the code, but I will check and fix this.

Status
Not open for further replies.