• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ModelConverterX alpha 04 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
After a (too) long time, here is the latest alpha version of ModelConverterX. Since the alpha 03 version a lot has changed, here is a quick summary of the changes:

• SCASM reader improved further, so that more macros should be read in correctly now
  • Ability to export to MDL directly, ModelConverterX calls XtoMDL for you
  • Ability to scle your objects
  • Batch convert functionality added
  • Tool added to convert your SCASM file with the Macro commands to a XML placement file (not tested very thorough, so might be a bit buggy :))
  • And probably a lot more that I forgot now

If you have any problems or suggestions for this version, please post them as a new thread in this subforum.

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Hi Arno

With your new release I am not seeing the object textured in the preview window. There is a message beneath saying textures are being looked for and naming the textures. I have carried out the conversion however and the textures do show up in the converted object. There does not seem to be night-time textures however?
I have also had to continue to use the 'command line' method to produce Mdl file. I think I have the path to XtoMdl set correctly but when I opt to convert direct to a .mdl file I am only getting an .x file.

Best wihes for 2008

Iain

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Iain,

With your new release I am not seeing the object textured in the preview window. There is a message beneath saying textures are being looked for and naming the textures. I have carried out the conversion however and the textures do show up in the converted object.

I think it is time for a manual :). The 3D preview in the tool is not related to the X file/MDL output. Even if the 3D preview can not find them, that does not mean that the information is not converted. So that your MDL objects work fine sounds logical.

I changed the way textures are searched a bit, to improve performance. That means that now you need to enter the folder that you want to search for textures in the options. By default I think I added a path like texture and ..\texture (relative). But if you keep your textures in another folder relative to the folder of your API macro you will have to add these paths. You can also enter absolute paths btw.

There does not seem to be night-time textures however?

Night textures are not yet read in correctly. That is on my wishlist and hopefully that should be working in the next version (together with correct working transparent textures).

I have also had to continue to use the 'command line' method to produce Mdl file. I think I have the path to XtoMdl set correctly but when I opt to convert direct to a .mdl file I am only getting an .x file.

Is there any error message or so displayed in the log? Sounds like there might be a problem with calling the compiler. Please double check the path in the preferences as well.

Last edited:
Country
scotland
Hi Arno

As far as I can see I have the exporter path set okay.

I have converted an object using option to produce .mdl file but whereas I am getting the .x file no .mdl file is produced and this message appears at the foot of the preview screen:-

OutputFile: c:\program.MDL
Output file after modification: c:\program.MDL
Usage: XToMDL.exe /KEEP /NOGUI /BATCH /NOCRASH /BMP2DDS /XMLSAMPLE /XANIM /DICT:DictFileName /OUT:OutfileName Filename.X

Iain

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks Iain, let me see if I can debug it further with that text. Looks like XtoMDL does not get the X file as argument or so.

Which OS are you running?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Did you try to save your MDL file as c:\program.mdl as the log says? If not, that might be part of the problem :).

Country
scotland
Hi Arno

Here is the input for the export per attached. The mdl file is to be placed in a folder created within the main folder for ModelConverterX.

Iain

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Iain,

I think I now what the problem is. You are exporting to a folder with a space in the name, I think I forgot to put quotes around the argument passed to XtoMDL. I'll fix that as soon as possible.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
New version available, including a fix for the MDL exporter bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.