• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Models not rendering in FSX

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
So, using MCX, made a scenery BGL out of a bunch of models, for instance..took a berm and made 12 different length models. Edited them, re-named each one and changed GUID number. Some other models were compiled from several merged models. Compiled the scenery BGL. Everything shows up perfect in MCX. Go to place models in FSX with Instant Scenery 3, the models don't show up at all. Not a base model lacking textures, but zero, absolutely nothing but a red box around where the models perimeter box is. Kind of stumped with this one. Never came up before. Any ideas?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Do you have a black alpha channel in the texture? If so, change it to white.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
No, there are no Alpha channels at play here, these are simply grass berm scenery objects, some buildings, and the odd vehicle. The only thing I did differently with this scenery was re-naming each one and changing GUID numbers.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Did you place them AFTER you changed the GUID, or before? If before, then the old object with the old GUID no longer exists.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Attempted to place them after. Like I said I can view the scenery BGL objects in MCX, they simply do not appear in FSX. So made another BGL, using a Russian low-poly Mi-8 made 10 different repaints, so made 10 models with changed GUID's. None of them show. It's seems like any model I've changed the GUID on, doesn't render.

Last edited:
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Here's some pics of MCX viewing the scenery BGL, then Instant Scenery 3 in FSX.
Berm52.jpg
IS3-FSX.jpg

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Are all textures in the texture folder of your scenery?

And which format did you export to from MCX after you made the changes?

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Yes, all textures are in the scenery folder, but wouldn't the model render anyways, as a black and white chequered shape? Scenery BGL was exported as a FSX BGL file. It's like I've always done it. Never had a problem until this time, with changing model name and GUID number due to multiple variations of same model.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Could you maybe send me the BGL? Then I can check if there is something weird in it.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Textures need to be in the texture folder, not the scenery folder. Sometimes when a texture is missing (or in a bad format) the object will indeed disappear.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Sorry, I meant textures were in the texture folder. But if the texture is missing the model still shows up as a gray shape, anyways. So, spent some time trying to figure this out. It seems that it was all due to the models being re-named, changing GUID didn't matter. Re-did the BGL's with the models re-named to original. They almost all render, just have 6 left, that are invisible, even though they now have the original name. Will try reloading original models into BGL.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The name is not used anywhere, so renaming the model should have no influence on the ability to use them.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Yes, that is what I believed also. But, even though I have renamed objects before with no issue, this time I renamed them all. Only a few rendered, some 40 plus objects did not. Re-naming in the edit section of MCX to the original name is how I got them to appear. Strange...but perhaps there is some type of embedded code in the mdl? For instance a low poly static Mi-8 heli I found on Avsimrus was called Lib37044. I made 13 repaints so named the models Mi-8_200 to Mi-8_213. Only after I used the original name did they show up. I usually only rename textures and change GUID's. So learned something new. Can't explain it, but there it is.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Perhaps you cannot use the dash symbol in the names.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I think you can use dahses in names. Some default models also do.