• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

More items TS Pro 0.0.18

Country
us-newyork
I'm now getting OOM exceptions. Here's an example:
Code:
************** Exception Text **************
System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory.
   at System.Drawing.TextureBrush..ctor(Image image, WrapMode wrapMode)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlPaint.DrawBackgroundImage(Graphics g, Image backgroundImage, Color backColor, ImageLayout backgroundImageLayout, Rectangle bounds, Rectangle clipRect, Point scrollOffset, RightToLeft rightToLeft)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintBackground(PaintEventArgs e, Rectangle rectangle, Color backColor, Point scrollOffset)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintBackground(PaintEventArgs e, Rectangle rectangle)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaintBackground(PaintEventArgs pevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2633.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
TS Pro
    Assembly Version: 0.0.1.8
    Win32 Version: 0.0.1.8
    CodeBase: file:///E:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Terrain%20Sculptor%20Pro/TS%20Pro.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.7.2556.0 built by: NET471REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2556.0 built by: NET471REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2633.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2612.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
FSUIPCClient
    Assembly Version: 2.4.4910.2
    Win32 Version: 2.4.4910.2
    CodeBase: file:///E:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Terrain%20Sculptor%20Pro/FSUIPCClient.DLL
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2612.0 built by: NET471REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

This happens when selecting a node in a flatten in the default FSX project and moving the node. After several moves, the error occurs.

Other items...

1) I'm not sure that I understand the context menu key on page 6 of the manual. The 0, 1 and >1 columns don't seem to correspond to what I see active in the context menu. I'm assuming that some of this isn't coded yet.
2) Also, the Start function doesn't throw an exception anymore but it only allows adding a single node rather than either a polygon or polyline. This is probably as designed, but after one adds the first node and selects that node, the Add Node at Cursor option is not available.
3) Triangulate should be disabled if there is not a valid Blend Outline.
4) It's not possible to Start a Blend Outline. With other Start options, the Save button does not become active until the user explicitly selects a terrain type. With Blend, since there is no terrain type, the Save button is never active.
5) It is not possible to add a node at cursor to an exisitng Blend Outline, as the response is "Unknown Type".

Not a lot of major glitches, considering its still an alpha release. Just a thought on overall UI design. It might be cleaner to not allow changing the terrain.cfg source (Default, FSX, P3d etc.) while within the app, but rather the terrain.cfg version gets selected before the UI is displayed (ala ADE as an example).

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Thanks, Jay. I'll investigate. I expect to make another development release today, since I've just discovered that saving a project when a .bgl is loaded replaces the contents of the .bg; with XML code (that should be saved in a new file).

Re the context menu documentation, user manual update is "on the list".

Stay tuned,
Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I've just posted Development Release 0.0.19 to http://stuff4fs.com. Navigate to the Terrain Sculptor page and click the Development Release menu item. It addresses all your reported issue except the out-of-memory.

Re the OOM exception, it appears Windows ran out of memory while updating the TS Pro display. There is no other useful diagnostic information in the exception details. Were you testing the limits of TS Pro? If not, and if the file(s) you were displaying at the time are of modest size and the issue is repeatable, please send me (don at stuff4fs dot com) the file(s) you had loaded when the exception occurred.

Re your other points:
2) unplanned side effect of a change made a day or so ago.
3) triangulation depends on the existence of a profile, not blend points. In fact, once you've generated a profile, you could discard the blend points on which it is based. While not yet reflected in the documentation, please note you can have multiple blend point sets - though only one may be loaded at a time.
4) the absence of blend point terrain selection in the editor was an oversight. Blend points like all other items require a terrain designation - which is passed to the profile during profile generation.
5) it is now.

It might be cleaner to not allow changing the terrain.cfg source (Default, FSX, P3d etc.) while within the app, but rather the terrain.cfg version gets selected before the UI is displayed (ala ADE as an example).
The reason for allowing selection of terrain.cfg source is to facilitate the use of add-on terrains that are not in the stock terrain.cfg files. What is your specific concern about selecting once TS Pro is running? The changeover should be virtually unnoticeable

Don

Country
us-newyork
What is your specific concern about selecting once TS Pro is running? The changeover should be virtually unnoticeable
When I change from Default to P3d V4, the indexing on the listbox goes awry and the sample texture no longer matches the listbox entry name. It's no big deal but I just didn't expect that someone would want to mix and match terrain.cfg entries from multiple sims.

Anyway, with TSP 0.0.19, everything that wasn't working in 0.0.18 is now working, at least for me it's working. I created a new project, added a bunch of terrain types, sculpts, etc., triangulated it and outputted a CVX BGL. When opened in tmfviewer it looked right, so that's great. I couldn't figure out how to add a hydro poly, though. I probably should test the P3d4 simconnect connection as I haven't tried doing that yet.

As to to the OOMs, it might have something to do with window size and screen resolution, because I have a 4K monitor. If I don't exceed more than about a quarter of the screen, then I never get an OOM. They don't happen that often and sometimes they are accompanied by a dialog box that says "Maximum zoom level exceeded". If I can get an OOM associated with an exception, I'll send it along.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
When I change from Default to P3d V4, the indexing on the listbox goes awry and the sample texture no longer matches the listbox entry name.
I just switched between the default terrain.cfg (which is stock FSX) and PV4 without any noticeable change anywhere. So, could you please provide further detail, especially as to what you mean by " indexing on the listbox goes awry " and "sample texture".

If your PV4 terrain.cfg file is not stock, please send it to me so I can attempt to duplicate your situation.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Jay, while I'm still unable to duplicate what you've characterized as " indexing on the listbox goes awry ", I think I know what causes it.

Originally, I held terrain references as guids, but that resulted in a lot of (I believe unnecessary) overhead. So, instead, I held an index into a list of terrains. But, when it came time to save the file, I also saved the indices rather than the guids.

Now, this worked fine so long as you used the same terrain.cfg file when you loaded a file as when you saved it, since the generated list of terrains would be identical. But, if you changed terrain.cfg files in the interim, depending on which terrains were used in the file, things could get messed up.

I'm in the process of changing the file save algorithm and will ensure the issue doesn't arise when terrain.cfgs are changed while a file is loaded.

Expect another development release soon.

Don

Country
us-newyork
Don,

That result prompted my suggestion about allowing access to terrain.cfg files from more than one sim.

Jay