• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Most Tedious and Boring Tasks

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I don't know about the rest of you, but getting 50 annunciator lights to light up and extinguish has to be among the most tedious and boring tasks in sim development!
vdPLV.jpg

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Shouldn't some of these have dimmer bulbs than others? Realism, y'know, must have realism. :duck:

Ronald

Resource contributor
When I get creative and start modeling, I try to get in a state-of-flow whereby I practice to postpone any kind of (mental) judgment.
This keeps my attention and energy focused to the challenges at hand (feet? anywhere?) and gets the job done in any way I can.

Questions:
Nice panel by the way Bill. To which aircraft does it belong?
- Are you only referring to the changing textures in this case?
- Does this panel/gauge use with backlight-ing that dynamically in/decreases in light-intensity when turned on/off?
- Is it possible to automate these boring tasks in any way, with macro's of some sort?

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Mirroring an airliner wing... it's reason enough to stick to GA!

Getting mechanical parts to work is often both interesting and annoying - the new 737 models will require me to construct the original 727 thrust reverser unit, and it's a convoluted piece of garbage (hence why they got rid of it).

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Questions:
Nice panel by the way Bill. To which aircraft does it belong?
- Are you only referring to the changing textures in this case?
- Does this panel/gauge use with backlight-ing that dynamically in/decreases in light-intensity when turned on/off?
- Is it possible to automate these boring tasks in any way, with macro's of some sort?
This is the annunciator sub-panel for the Avanti P180.
Each "light" requires two polygons; one for the unlighted text, the other for the lighted text (Additive mode, Self-Illumination)
They are controlled by <Visibility> conditions, so 50 of them require 100 unique entries in the modeldef.xml file.
Since the only difference between them is the custom L:variable used for <Visibility> control, and the <PartInfo> name, it is indeed possible to copy/paste each set and simply change the names of the <PartInfo> and (L:var)...

...which while relatively fast, is still boring and tedious! :confused:

This panel has a "Systems Test" knob that selects the specific system to test, and requires a knob "pull" to make the selector active, which is why the extra test conditions in the <Code> section.
Code:
  <!-- ANNUNCIATOR LIGHTS VISIBILITY -->

<PartInfo>
    <Name>Avt_L_FIRE_LIGHT_OFF</Name>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
          (L:Avt_SysTest_SEL,enum) 0 !=
          (L:Avt_SysTest_PULL, bool) ! or
          (L:Avt_L_FIRE_LIGHT,bool) ! and
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>

<PartInfo>
    <Name>Avt_L_FIRE_LIGHT_ON</Name>
    <Visibility>
      <Parameter>
        <Code>
          (L:Avt_SysTest_SEL,enum) 0 ==
          (L:Avt_SysTest_PULL, bool) and
          (L:Avt_L_FIRE_LIGHT,bool) or
        </Code>
      </Parameter>
    </Visibility>
  </PartInfo>

Last edited:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Try sipping on some 12 year old single malt while while doing it. It won't be quite so boring but it might get lisppier, is that a word? :p

Ronald

Resource contributor
Thanks Bill for your explanation and the panel's XML code fragment that shows how it works. Very educative!

Country
us-virginia
You can always try mentally reciting the Rosary - as a cradle Catholic, when have tedious things to do, I sometimes do that to contemplate on weightier matters…although I can never remember the new mysteries that JPII added. In this case… an "Our Father" for each column of Warning Lights and a "Hail Marry" for each Caution Light in a column, actually works - albeit only four decades…just say'n. :)

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Speaking of tedious and boring, I find recreating the materials, animations, visibilities and hierarchy of objects imported from .obj into 3ds Max incredibly boring especially since it's hours and hours of work to get to the point of something that was already there.
There needs to be an ISO norm for a universal 3D model format.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
You can always try mentally reciting the Rosary...
Actually, that is an admirable suggestion!

I'm just not too sure that the occasional (im)pious ejaculations that may pass my lips when I screw an entry up would mix too well though... just say'n! :rotfl:

Country
germany
Bill, great work on that annunciator. Keep going, it will be worth it!
Speaking of a lack of motivation, below are some shots of the OH and the annunciators of the Saab 340 - 134 lamps only there.

Each "light" requires two polygons; one for the unlighted text, the other for the lighted text (Additive mode, Self-Illumination)
They are controlled by <Visibility> conditions, so 50 of them require 100 unique entries in the modeldef.xml file.

Might I suggest another approach: My unlighted lamps are part of the OH texture - there are no seperate polygons for them, they are always there. The lighted polygons "hover" directly above the unlighted. Therefore only the lighted polygons require a "Visibility" entry in the modeldef.xml. Saves you 50% of workload and you can't tell a difference visually.;)

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Steven, I've tried that technique before and was frustrated by some zbias flashing issues that showed up on some customer's systems.

Country
germany
Steven, I've tried that technique before and was frustrated by some zbias flashing issues that showed up on some customer's systems.
Valid argument, I didn't think about. Let's see, if the beta phase will raise some of these complaints.
Thanks for the warning then:duck: