• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE Mouse-activated anims on the EXTERIOR model?

Country
ca-ontario
Just throwing it out there, but - is this possible? Is it possible to have a <MouseRect> block applied to a part and make it work on the exterior model? I thought to ask here before I start tinkering with this (and possibly waste a few hours ;))Thanks!

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I routinely add mouse points on all models now. This way when I compile for P3Dv3 or v4, they will just work as desired. When compiling for FSX or FSX:SE they are simply ignored.

This way I don't have to maintain two separate .max files! :wizard:

Country
ca-ontario
I routinely add mouse points on all models now. This way when I compile for P3Dv3 or v4, they will just work as desired. When compiling for FSX or FSX:SE they are simply ignored.

This way I don't have to maintain two separate .max files! :wizard:

Thanks Bill! Maybe I should put that into my routine as well! At least the interior and exterior animations are reflecting their states (with interaction from the interior model).

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Well, it certainly makes opening doors, cargo hatches, hiding chocks, pitot covers, much easier from the exterior. :wizard:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Note that FlightGear (and other sims?) has had this feature for ages. It certainly makes exterior models much more than just eye candy.

Country
ca-ontario
Oh well, I will have to contend with non-functional exteriors - although it would have been nice. :(

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Since I assume that this will be for EVA simulation (open/close hatches from the exterior), have your spacefarer equipped with a space-rated PDA that will enable triggering model animations. Maybe use kind of a transponder to discriminate between what target spacecraft is supposed to be controlled.

Country
ca-ontario
Yup, I was thinking about the very same thing. I have the code in already, I can target any AI object and play any custom animation on it (without triggering it on the rest of the like AI objects).

I can make that into a gauge or a HUD, but I was hoping to have some kind of a PDA cuff-mounted - which begs my next question: My EVA suit is an "aircraft", with virtual cockpit being inside the helmet. Works well, except I have a clear visor (with an animated sun shield in front of it), and I'd like to have <MouseAnim> event on the hand mounted PDA. The clear visor, however, prevents <MouseAnim> from being registered: If I click on the hand-mounted PDA, the visor gets the click and nothing happens.

You could argue to just remove the visor, but the visor is actually not all clear, it has subtle scratches on it's edges that nicely suggest there is glass in front of you. Later, I'll put in some inside reflections as well.

Is there any way of having the <MouseClick> see through an object, as in ignoring click on the object in front, and reacting to the object behind it?

Country
ca-ontario
Ah! thanks Doug! I was hoping for an in-FSX solution... as in, applying some kind of a magical <NoMouse> tag on the part :wizard: