• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v2 Moving complete island with ADE ?

Country
germany
Hi folks,
succesfully I am using ADE ( and ProKey) for designing/moving/rotating airports for my flightsim P3Dv2.4. All airport data (run- and taxiways, scenery objects and navigational aids etc.) will be moved correctly. But what I miss is the capability to move the terrain, coastline, land-/waterclass and mesh too, for example to shift a complete island with an airport to a new position. Is that possible with ADE and how to do this? Or do you know another program having such capabilities?
Sorry for my poor english. But I hope you will understand my question.

Best regards,
Klaus

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Most tutorials for SBuilderX involve use of FSX SDK's by default, and although P3D compilers can be substituted if desired, AFAIK, P3D (all versions) utilizes FSX SP2 as the core scenery content, and is thus compatible with nearly all add-on scenery authored using FSX compilers.

No new attributes from P3D SDK's is used for custom photo-real land class textures, so there is IMHO, no need to substitute any such new P3D SDK compilers in the SBuilderX work-flow, and one may use SBuilderX as-is immediately after un-ZIPped.

A possible exception may be in making certain types of 3D models as photo-real textured Ground Polygons (aka "G-Polys or "GP's", which would not be done in SBuilderX, but which may (for personal use only) utilize textures captured via SBuilderX.

This web search should include numerous links to SBuilderX tutorials:

NOTE: A tutorial that is very detailed on modifying shorelines and position of an island airport via SBuilderX and ADE is here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?250762-How-to-create-photoreal-scenery-for-FSX

PS: There is a German version of the PDF format manual for ADE generously provided by Helli Hauck on Scruffyduck's webite:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/unwm2cu6v665lt0/Manual_Deutsch_v1.51.zip/file

https://www.scruffyducksoftware.com/downloads

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
germany
Hi folks,
thank you for answering, but your comments do not correspond with my question. Sorry! Neither do I want to create an island photoreal nor do I want to design a new island. My intention is (hopefully) much simpler: moving an existing island (airport included) to a new position similar to the way as it can be done with ADE .

ADE is a very good tool for moving airports. When I use this program, it shows up only the run-/taxiways, aprons, navigational aids and scenery objects, but never the terrain including LC`s and mesh data. Maybe I didn`t find this feature. Or does it not exist in ADE?

Normally you cannot read *.bgl scenery data. But converting a *.bgl into *.xml version you may find the cordinates which can be changed into new ones. After reconverting them into *.bgl version again the moved airport will show up in the new position but without the terrain etc. The island-airport than is situated in the middle of the watersurface! No surrounding terrain.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Klaus

Country
unitedkingdom
Yes. You can't do it in ADE, that's why I suggested SBuilder. ADE can only change the level of whatever is under the position of the airport. If that's land, great. If you move the airport to somewhere the sim thinks is wet, you get flat water at your airfield's new position. You need to create new land, and ADE will not do that for you.

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

Is this a fictional island ?

Or are you instead wanting to move a real world island to a:

* fictional location

...or a:

* corrected location ?

GaryGB

Country
germany
Hi Tim,
as you told ADE is obviously not able to move a complete island.
Hi Gary,
its a real world island, which I want to move to another group of islands forming a fictional area. It`s just a crazy idea for island hopping like Bahamas, but in another section of thr world (for example the Kerguelies in the South Indian Ocean). The Kerguelies are not populated in real, only a small french research station. Just for fun I created 11 fictional airports/airfieds there includung cities, villages, roads and harbours with ADE and Instant scenery. All done in P3Dv2.4 due to Instant Scenery, which only can create in a 32bit flightsim. And than I copied the scenery into my P3Dv4.5 (64bit!) which is able to read the 32bit data. The operational speed there is much faster. But as Tim mentioned a complete move of another island is not possible.

Creating a new island with SBuilder seems to be much more difficult for me comparing with ADE ans IS. I think I should forget my idea. Nevertheles thank you for your help.
Best regards.
Klaus

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Klaus. That sounds an interesting exercise. Yes, as far as I’m aware IS won’t work in the 64-bit sims. SBuilder is just one tool you could use to create new land, but if that’s a bit too complex then I suggest moving your fictional airfields to positions where land already exists in P3D4.5. Its global map is slightly improved from the earlier versions (and v5 is improved again), so it shouldn’t take too long with reference to one of the global mapping services to identify suitable locations. Good luck!

Country
germany
Hi again,
I have installed SBuilderX v 3.15 following instructions of Tiberius G mentioned by Gary GB (Thanks for that) trying to use. But no success! I never finished moving an island to other coordinates. I didn`t find tileserver adresses mentioned in SBuilder. Other tileserver adresses I found in the internet were not acceptet by SBuilder. The instructions useing Sbuilder seem to be very complicated. I don`t understand them. Obviously I`m a PC dummy! ADE and Instant Scenery are much more easy to use. SBuilder seems to be a program mainly for FSX rather than P3D (FSX was never installed by me).

If there is a no much simpler program for the purpose I mentioned (similar like ADE or IS) I think I will forget my intention of moving an island.

Best regards,
Klaus