• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Moving runway in FSX

Country
norway
Good afternoon all!

As I have been reading AFCAD is not yet possible to use in FSX. Is't then possible to move the runway location (eventually also a couple of gates) on a aiport to the right location?

:)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

For the moment this is probably easiest done by writing some new XML code for your airport with the correct location. Maybe you can use the decompiled XML code of the default scenery as the basis of your new BGL (you need to compile it into a new BGL in the end, as you don't want to overwrite default files of course).

Country
norway
Thank you Arno! Is there any easy way to do this? I have to say that me+xml=troubles. :rolleyes:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No, at the moment not really. It will take some time before GUI tools have been developed that make these things easier.

Country
norway
Ok, thanks!

I guess the I'll have to go for the XML way then :p Where can I get information about this, please? :D

Country
newzealand
Its all in the SDK documentation (Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\the bgl compiler.html) which lists the various tags and gives examples- I just copied and pasted the sample code from the html file and then replaced the necessary values.

You will need to include a deleterunway or Deleteairport tag to get rid of the original runway or whole airport respectively.

As a tip- Run the bglcomp in a command window when you are ready to compile- It will tell you if you have errors etc which is useful :)

Ill post my airport xml when i get home (Work in progress- Simple runway movement and delete for a single asphalt and grass runway)

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
It is possible to do this with the in development Scenery Design Engine (SDE) I will be releasing a new build in the next day which provides complete (as far as I can tell) de-compile and compile of FSX bgl files. There is a test application with it which allows the modification of all the airport data. It is not very user friendly but is better than hand coding :D

Country
mexico
And what's the program to use now for decompile default bgl's, and convert to xlm?

Thanks in advance.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I use my own utility SDE which is on my website. Alternatively you can use NewBglAnalyze for FS9 and BglAnalyzeX for FSX. Both these utilities are from Winfried Orthman and can be found on AVSIM.com.

For example to use SDE you would load the relevant default AP or APX file and use the object tree to save just the airport you wanted. Load that airport back and you are in the same place as with AFCAD2 for FS9 (except that there is no helpful user GUI at the moment). You need to add a deleteAiport Record as mentioned above and delete those things that you want to over-ride in the default bgl. Do NOT override the Approaches (AFCAD will not allow this for example). doing that will stop AI traffic from using your airport and may cause lots of other problems.

Once you have the delete record in place it is possible to use the object tree to select something like a runway and change it's location etc using the property grid. As I say it is not very user friendly but is a lot safer (and easier I hope :)) than doing it by hand in Notepad or Cooktop. Of course of you are familiar with the XML used in Airports then you can do it by hand.

Country
mexico
Thank You!

Thanks Scroffyduck. I just download your application, but I can’t run it because some .Net Framework issue. Do you know what it means.

Again, thanks in advance.

Country
norway
Sounds like a problem with the ".net"

If you take a look in the "release note" ducument you'll find the requirements:

REQUIREMENTS
● You need to have the FSX SDK to use SDE if you wish to compile bgl files. You do not
need it if you just wish to explore Scenery Bgl files. The SDK is not freely downloadable
and is supplied by Microsoft only with the deluxe version of FSX. SDE uses components of
the SDK and you must have these for the program to work compile
● Microsoft's dotNET 2.0.
● You may need other software such as MSXML if not already installed

Then I searched for it and found:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

It may woth taking a look, but I'm not sure.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Scroffyduck. I just download your application, but I can’t run it because some .Net Framework issue. Do you know what it means.

Again, thanks in advance.

You need dotNet2 if you do not have it. This is nothing specifically to do with FSX but is required by dotNET programs to run. Any Software created using Microsoft C#, VB.Net and so on will need this. Once you have it then you will not need to get it again if you get more programs or utilities which require it.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Sounds like a problem with the ".net"

If you take a look in the "release note" ducument you'll find the requirements:

REQUIREMENTS
● You need to have the FSX SDK to use SDE if you wish to compile bgl files. You do not
need it if you just wish to explore Scenery Bgl files. The SDK is not freely downloadable
and is supplied by Microsoft only with the deluxe version of FSX. SDE uses components of
the SDK and you must have these for the program to work compile
● Microsoft's dotNET 2.0.
● You may need other software such as MSXML if not already installed

Then I searched for it and found:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

It may woth taking a look, but I'm not sure.

See my previous post on the dotNET framework.

If you plan to design scenery for FSX then you will need the SDK in any case

You are going to need MSXML whatever tools you use to create scenery as it is used by BGlComp.

Whether it is worth taking a look or not is up to you :)

Country
germany
New runaway

I am doing something wrong in FSX.
My goal is the following:
For a new mission, I need a grass runaway at a place that I have chosen with my plane in slew mode.
As far as I understood, in order to do so, I have to make a new .bgl file out of xml-code.

1. I have used SDE to open one of the .bgl-files with airport data (APX88100.bgl)
2. Decompiled it into .xml
3. Edited the information (deleted some objects, changed CONCRETE to GRASS and so on)
4. Used SDE to put the coordinates (button READ).
5. Compiled .bgl for FSX (validation does not show any errors)
6. Put this .bgl into C:\Program Files\GAMES\MSFX\Scenery
7. Opened FSX (it shows new window "Building database for new scenery files....")
8. Load FSX and go to that location - no grass runaway found...:)

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Some questions

1) is this a modification to an existing airport or are you trying to create a new one? If you are creating a new one then I'm not sure I understand why you would de-compile a default APX file.

2) are you re-compiling the whole default BGL file and putting that back into FSX? This is not the recommended way to do it. The recommended method would be to de-compile the Default and use SDE to save out just the airport you wish to make changes to. Then you re-load that new scenery file to work on leaving the default well alone.

3) Step 6 looks suspect - it is not clear to me where you are putting the revised BGL. These should not be put into the default scenery structure but rather in the Addon Scenery\Scenery Folder.

4) to modify airport data you need a DeleteAirport record in your new XML file. This is not present in the default airport files and you need to add it. This record tells FSX to ignore certain parts of the default airport and use your information instead. To change runway data you would need the deleteAllRunways Flag set. Generally we tell FSX to ignore everything in the default record except for Approaches. Moving runways about and changing parking places etc can mess up AI traffic very easily. So in any case you should delete all the approach information (if there are any approach data at you airport) in your new XML file before using it and set the deleteAllApproaches Flag to false. AFCAD, for example does not allow users to delete approach data.

Country
germany
Thank you very much! I think, I don't understand what I am doing...:)

If you are creating a new one then I'm not sure I understand why you would de-compile a default APX file.

I am trying to create a new one. Is it possible? Acually, I need only a grass-runaway (no buildings, no markings, no approches, no communication. It's gonna be a neglected runaway). I tried to de-compile a default APX to use it as an example or template... without a success.

These should not be put into the default scenery structure but rather in the Addon Scenery\Scenery Folder.

Yes, I figured out that later too, but it did not work either.
So, my goal is to create a NEW airport, or even not an airport, but just a grass runaway.

Last edited:
This is a XML template for adding a grass runway

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<FSData version="9.0"
xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<Airport ident="KJHV" <------ unique ICAO code
region=""
country="United States"
state="Georgia"
city="Savanna"
name="Jim Grass" <--------- unique name
lat="N32 7.92611" <-------- LAT of the ARP
lon="W081 16.06491" <---------- LON of the ARP
alt="50.0F" <----------- average ground elevation
magvar="6.00">

<Runway number="9" designator="NONE"
lat="N32 8.00773" <------------ Lat of the runway
lon="W081 15.97267" <-------- Lon of the runway
alt="50.0F" <------- average Ground elevation
length="9000.00F"
width="150.00F"
heading="90.00"
surface="GRASS"
primaryTakeoff="YES"
primaryLanding="YES"
primaryPattern="LEFT"
secondaryTakeoff="YES"
secondaryLanding="YES"
secondaryPattern="LEFT"
patternAltitude="1000.0F">
</Runway>

</Airport>
</FSData>

Change the Airport Header data for your correct airport and the runway properties to your proper LAT/LON and average altitude if the ground is relatively flat. This Grass runway is 150 x 9000 feet.

Compile with the FSX compiler.

There are 2 places that you can place your new bgl and your cvx bgl if you make one. FSX.... Global\Scenery folder or FSX.... addon scenery\scenery folder

CAUTION

A Grass runway Texture in FSX is some what transparent. In order to see the runway clearly you may have to condition the ground around the runway with FLX files compiled to a bgl created with shp2vec or a 3rd party utility such as FSX_kml.

You could use the following Guid for the ground border around the runway. This GUID will flatten (with proper altitude data), remove any autogen and add the default grass texture that FSX uses around and under a Grass runway so there is no bleed. It also gives the Grass runway a better look that is defined much better then just laying on the ground.

<tag>Airport_Backgrounds_Flatten_MaskClassMap_ExcludeAutoGen</tag>
<description>Airport_Backgrounds_Flatten_MaskClassMap_ExcludeAutoGen</description>
<guid>46BFB3BD-CE68-418E-8112-FEBA17428ACE</guid>
<Feature>AirportBounds</Feature></tag>

Country
germany
Thanks, Jim! It works.

I used FSX_kml to flatten the scenery and get rid of autogen.

Last edited: