• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS MSFS Asobo Official Blender exporter

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
SonantAlpaca
https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/users/22/sonantalpaca.html

Hello,
Just to keep you updated: we currently have someone working on an officialy supported Blender exporter.
It's a little bit too soon to tell which existing exporter we will reuse, but we're not starting from scratch. I'll keep you posted ASAP!

Could be good news if you trust Asobo to get it right.

https://devsupport.flightsimulator....xport-plugin.html?childToView=4090#reply-4090

Here it is:
AsoboStudio glTF-Blender-IO-MSFS

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I wonder if this means that the MSFS SDK is finally reached beyond the Alpha stage Only time will tell.... ;)

Country
unitedstates
I asked about this in the SDK Q&A today and they actually had a part at the beginning dedicated to the Blender Exporter. They said it is almost finished and will be coming around Sim Update 9 I believe. They also said it would include the same samples and tutorials as you get with 3DS Max and it will be fully supported by Asobo the same as Max. Hopefully this means good things to come!

Country
italy
This Is current version of the Asobo's exporter

Alizee seem to be a little bit too optimistic on that topic...

Hope some improvements in the near future, but by now anything close to an alpha!

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
If the new Blender exporter also supports animated people, then that's very good news. Would like to express my thanks to Asobo and Wing42, tml1024, ronh991 and pepperoni505! 👍👍👍🙂

Country
italy
If the new Blender exporter also supports animated people, then that's very good news. Would like to express my thanks to Asobo and Wing42, tml1024, ronh991 and pepperoni505!
Exactly! Skinned mesh/Bones and primitive collision Is what we still need to work with blender!

Weird problem with this plugin (i try to use it instead MSFS Toolkit). MSFS shaders works fine, but i dont have MSFS gltf export option at all. All i have is button "Export" (undocumented operator) in Multi-Export glTF 2.0, but this doesnt work (error in module bpy/ops, which i have). I try Blender versions 2.83, 2.93 and 3.0 with the same effect. How it works, guys?

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
The version which is provided by github is not operational currently: it is just an initialization !

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
All functions within the Asobo exporter are for blender v3.10 also. Some functions in the latest release v3.01.

Blender v3.10 is in beta... for at least 4 mths I believe. Most likely, June release, when LTS v2.83 will no longer be supported.

The Beta v3.10 (as of this date) can be obtained from this location:

This site is updated daily if changes have occurred.

Warning: The builds may have the latest features and cool bug fixes, but can be unstable and mess up your files. Use at your own risk!

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
I have Blender 3.1 and installed the Add-on under preferences, is there more needed to install because the read.me file doesn't have any particular instructions. Is this like the FlyByWire version that needed a separate script installed?

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I have Blender 3.1 and installed the Add-on under preferences, is there more needed to install because the read.me file doesn't have any particular instructions. Is this like the FlyByWire version that needed a separate script installed?
No.. just the SDK of MSFS.

Country
austria
Maybe this helps

We already found out that it is a little bit complicated to export lods. It is looking like the exporter is not generating the xml in the correct way.

Country
australia
Well, this doesn't seem to work for my needs.

For an aircraft I have a lot of collections for the various areas of the aircraft. It makes it easier to work with if you can have the landing gear and wings in separate collections which you can toggle on and off. I can't figure out how to export a group of those separate collections as a single model. The exporter seems hell bent on exporting each collection as an individual file.

On the old original exporter it was simply select all and export but I can't figure it out with this Asobo exporter.

Country
italy
Hi Anthony, what if you place wing and gear in separate sub collection of the main collection?

Country
australia
Hi Mamu, I tried that. It doesn't seem to recognise that there are sub collections. It just comes up with a list of each collection (including the main collection) with each needing a different file name. Trying to export just the main collection produces an error.

Country
italy
Maybe we should learn to do that in another way, with parenting

take a look at the screenshot, did a quick export and seem to work fine, you can hide/uhhide the parent/child hierarchy by SHIFT-clicking on the "eye" of the parent object in the outliner

The deal about the exporter is that they HAVE to make the Blender exporter working in the same way of the 3ds exporter, so the docs doesn't need to be written two times :p

Here they are talking about layers,

so in Blender collection are "Layers",
maybe you can open an issue on the Github and ask for sub-collections to be exported, makes more sense and seem to be coherent and compliant with the documentation

Attachments

• Screenshot (363).jpg
    Screenshot (363).jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 200
Country
australia
Parenting like that isn't really going to be easy to work with when you're dealing with a thousand parts. That's the nice thing about collections. You can just group things together in a collection without having to deal with parenting. Collections just make it so much easier to handle all the parts.

Maybe, if I get the inclination, I will look at the python scripts and see what the original Blender exporter does and modify the Asobo one to do the same.