• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS MSFS portover piracy

• Thread starter Deleted member 1281
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1281

Dear fellow simmers and developers,

As we all know here, piracy is a terrible thing. Our Digital Dakota Works team has just seen a new variant of it, a quick and decidedly dirty MSFS2020 portover of our popular freeware C-47. As was to be expected, the thing is largely dysfunctional in MSFS, causes CTD’s, and generally looks and flies terrible. Still, the downloads go into thousands. Because I am given a “credit” in the upload wrapper - clickbait, clearly - these faults attach to my name and some simmers are even asking what am I going to do about them.

For the record: I am not going to give permission for a MSFS portover, ever.

I was able to talk to two PD servers that had the illicit upload and persuaded them to take it down, and to their credit, they did and apologized for it.

There is one organization that does not respond to multiple contact form messages and continues to have it on offer. The site goes by the name of Allflightmods.com: The biggest all flight simulator mods website. The uploader hides behind the name Treyeastland, on another upload it was somebody named Zach Gloss. I would be happy to speak to these people, but am unable to contact either or the webmaster of the site. Perhaps if they see this post they can drop me a line.

Here is my request to all simmers: do not download it, do not fly it, and if you see any pics or vids or threads related to it make it a point to comment and possibly link to this thread.

Closer to home this question: Are we doing enough to discourage the Pirates of the Carribean from undermining the ethics of our profession? Is there a way to show the whizz kids how to do things properly?

Many thanks.
Manfred Jahn

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Hallo Manfred,
I'm sorry to hear about this. Since the MSFS format is quite open, it's not that hard to get things ported over to the new sim, so things like this are probably inevitable.
It's a good question what to do about it and I don't really have an answer. The tools that enable the port are the same tools that make the new creation of content available in the first place and I don't see how you can have one without the other. That leaves two routes:
1. Push for a good code of conduct on these websites.
2. File a lawsuit for the breach of your copyright.

Apparently it's possible to encrypt your files when deploying them to MSFS, so maybe that will be a bit of a deterrent. But that won't help against pirated ports.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

This is a tricky topic indeed. This kind of discussions do also occur now and then concerning ModelConverterX. Because a tool like ModelConverterX is very useful to many developers, but it can also be used wrongly by people who don't respect the copyright of others.

In MSFS the file formats are even more open, so it becomes easier to steal the work of others. I have heard that it should be possible to encrypt products (not sure how yet), but that would be a good way to protect your work. FSX and P3D don't have such options, so then I guess it comes down to a code of conduct. And I guess the naming and shaming like you do in your post might also help in some cases.

Country
england
Hi Manfred, thanks for the heads up about the 2020 port over, I did have a link on my website to the download but I have taken it down and other references to it after reading your post.
Kind regards,
Joe
Mutley's Hangar

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
There's quite a huge thread at the official MSFS forum about converting FSX airplanes. It can only lead to piracy. Surprised they haven't addressed that yet.

It's quite tempting for FSX owners to try to salvage their 'investment' in FSX addons. And the Dos Equis addons are slow in availability and expensive. The problem lies with the kids for the most part. The hacked ports won't look as good or be as functional as the originals. No serious simmers would touch those aircraft, as they would perform worse than in FSX. Future sales to serious simmers isn't going to be affected by these hacks.

But there are some simmers who just collect aircraft (as well as airports). They fly them once, then just put them in their hangar. These are the ones that might not buy when they can just download. Unfortunately, these simmers might just make a dent in total sales. But piracy has always existed in the FS series, and is even encouraged at some web sites. I hope reputations aren't diminished due to the spread of poor hacks of great addons, but I think we'll continue to live with this problem.

D

Deleted member 1281

This is a tricky topic indeed. This kind of discussions do also occur now and then concerning ModelConverterX. Because a tool like ModelConverterX is very useful to many developers, but it can also be used wrongly by people who don't respect the copyright of others.
In MSFS the file formats are even more open, so it becomes easier to steal the work of others. I have heard that it should be possible to encrypt products (not sure how yet), but that would be a good way to protect your work. FSX and P3D don't have such options, so then I guess it comes down to a code of conduct. And I guess the naming and shaming like you do in your post might also help in some cases.
Arno,

In MCX's 'export' dialogue, would it help if instead of having the (occasionally very brief and auto-vanishing) yellow flyout a modified version that needs to be explicitly ticked before starting the export process, saying something like -

"No version of this model may be uploaded to the public domain without the explicit permission of the original author(s). Agree ... Disagree."

Just an off-the-cuff idea, also about the phrasing. Then nobody can say they did not know about it. And the newcomers might become aware of the obvious.

Not that I have any illusions, but as the saying goes, every little bit helps?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The current warning when exporting does indeed already warn people that they need permission. But making it more interactive (or annoying) might help a bit with awareness. On the other hand it would also bother the genuine developers who are working on their own models.

But I think it would be a good idea to make the warning a bit more prominent some way. Just to help with the awareness.

Country
unitedkingdom
The encryption of models can only be a good thing for those that need to protect their work (paid or free). Some of the default aircraft and sceneries are already encrypted. The issue is if someone wants it enough and is savy enough, there will be a way to around it, but it should deter most. I love uncommon aircraft, and as such aircraft that aren’t particularly commercially successful. This was always made so much worse, when within a few hours of something being released, it was pirated and all over the internet. Thus absolutely no incentive for any developer to do something that isn’t going to be a big seller. As a result we have copious flavours of Boeing’s and Airbus, and very little that’s a bit niche. Sad state of affairs.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Dear fellow simmers and developers,

As we all know here, piracy is a terrible thing. Our Digital Dakota Works team has just seen a new variant of it, a quick and decidedly dirty MSFS2020 portover of our popular freeware C-47. As was to be expected, the thing is largely dysfunctional in MSFS, causes CTD’s, and generally looks and flies terrible. Still, the downloads go into thousands. Because I am given a “credit” in the upload wrapper - clickbait, clearly - these faults attach to my name and some simmers are even asking what am I going to do about them.

For the record: I am not going to give permission for a MSFS portover, ever.

I was able to talk to two PD servers that had the illicit upload and persuaded them to take it down, and to their credit, they did and apologized for it.

There is one organization that does not respond to multiple contact form messages and continues to have it on offer. The site goes by the name of Allflightmods.com: The biggest all flight simulator mods website. The uploader hides behind the name Treyeastland, on another upload it was somebody named Zach Gloss. I would be happy to speak to these people, but am unable to contact either or the webmaster of the site. Perhaps if they see this post they can drop me a line.

Here is my request to all simmers: do not download it, do not fly it, and if you see any pics or vids or threads related to it make it a point to comment and possibly link to this thread.

Closer to home this question: Are we doing enough to discourage the Pirates of the Carribean from undermining the ethics of our profession? Is there a way to show the whizz kids how to do things properly?

Many thanks.
Manfred Jahn
Very good that you address this problem. Because it is important to draw attention to software piracy. You are not alone with this and you can rely on the support of the community!

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
No serious simmers would touch those aircraft, as they would perform worse than in FSX. Future sales to serious simmers isn't going to be affected by these hacks.
I very much agree with the entire post, but especially this part. I think it is inherent in most people to do the right thing. Not only do responsible people understand supporting the developer, but the music industry has conditioned us to know that piracy is illegal to download, as well.
I also hold the belief that pirates download specifically because it is free. The logic being that if security is tight, they will be forced to pay and I believe the logic is flawed, they will never pay, simply go without. On that basis, it could be thought of as exposure. Sure, it is not a correct representation, but it is circulated and seen and the people that do the right thing will seek out the legal version.

It is just a thought, but I for one, am honored to be able to spend on addons, for so much of my time simming I'd had to do without, so now, well thanks, really.

Country
australia
I'm certainly doing all that I can to educate people that releasing port-overs is not in anyones best interest. Port-overs are fine on your own PC but understand that lots of stuff is going to be broken. I've also been encouraging people to talk to developers and ask them about their creations. Porting (with permission of course) is a great way to get into our hobby and understand the black magic of flight sim development. Releasing without permission though is very commonly seen as piracy or at least something not tolerated. We've ejected several individuals for doing this in the different communities I am a part of, and will continue to do so.

Country
italy
Hi Manfred, I am really sorry for this situation. In the association I belong to, Italian virtual pilots, many of us fly with pleasure with your plane. We also did a re-enactment of the bridge to West Germany with these planes during the lockdown in March. I hope, if it is possible and if you feel like it, to see your model in 2020.
regards

Country
australia
Hi Manfred,
I left a comment at Allflightmods.com linking it to this thread as you requested, but alas, I have a funny feeling that they filter their comments.
I will admit yes I downloaded and tried it as I love the DC-3. But after seeing it taken down from the site I got it from and this thread I have removed it from my computer.

Last edited: