• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender My Blender2MSFS settings for emissive texture alone and under glass panels. Glass settings included

Country
us-california
yeah here ya go. if you dont have extreme-pbr (shown) I pulled down and placed the node you do have. it allows you to well.. rotate and scale UVs by factor instead of by hand. you see it is plugged into the vector node, therefore you can avoid hand scaling and rotation, the boxes below allow you to do that but they are FAC (factors) not direct input

Screenshot (322).png

Country
canada
Oh, and corrugated metal PBR material? I don't think it's in Extreme PBR, as it uses textures from c00 and it's not one of those... I've been looking for one like that... The one with the sun glare.

Country
canada
yeah here ya go. if you dont have extreme-pbr (shown) I pulled down and placed the node you do have. it allows you to well.. rotate and scale UVs by factor instead of by hand. you see it is plugged into the vector node, therefore you can avoid hand scaling and rotation, the boxes below allow you to do that but they are FAC (factors) not direct input
Thanks! I'll try to figure it out, much clearer now...

Country
us-california
yes they do...
xtremePBR.png

and they get some glare for sure, the silver one next door was the oild "textured" hanger notice the flat glare vs the normalize one
Screenshot (281)SM.png

Country
us-california
Yes it will be available shortly, doing my last testing. Not sure where to have it hosted. It will be a free download.
I will then complete Nut Tree (Vacaville), Yolo County, Rio Vista as a pay ware combo for $10 and include KEDU in that package as well.
This summer I will then have completed Pali Alto and some other Bay Area destinations

Country
unitedstates
Yes it will be available shortly, doing my last testing. Not sure where to have it hosted. It will be a free download.
I will then complete Nut Tree (Vacaville), Yolo County, Rio Vista as a pay ware combo for $10 and include KEDU in that package as well.
This summer I will then have completed Pali Alto and some other Bay Area destinations
thanks, when your $10 pack comes out, I'll pick it up.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hey comrades, after many hours of figuring this out and tinkering I thought perhaps I may save someone else the struggle. Getting the emissions to look similar to the ones already in the sim was long an arduous. In real life glass is both reflective and transmissive and trying to recreate that was especially tough. Any window you look at both reflects the world and reveals what is beyond unless it is tinted or very bright outside and dark inside, the one way mirror effect. In the sim i have seen either the glass was transparent or totally opaque. for large airports where treatsments are applied ot glass it looks okay, but small building and small airports, it did not look real to me! Although what I have accomplished still does not look real to me it does look familiar and fits, which is what my goal was. i could spend years and get it right but the framerate would be zero haha. so here ya go, I hope this helps and stay tuned for my KEDU-University Airport release at the end of the month.

SETTINGS FOR BUILDIING EMISSIVE TEXTURE AND WITH GLASS OVERLAY

Surface – bdsf, Christian B

BLUILDING settings Glass Settings

• Base Color albedo-detail mix white
  • Meta 0 0
  • Spec .012 1
  • Spec tint 0 0
  • Roughness . 766 0
  • Set zero for anisotropic through clearcoat roughness
  • Clear coat R . 055 0
  • IOR 1.450 149.8/150
  • Transmission 0 1
  • Trans. Rough 0 0
  • Emission emissive detail mix hsv=0-0-0-1(apha)
  • Normal Norm map node alpha multiply
  • Alpha 1 multiply
  • Clearcoat N default
  • Tangient default
MSFS STANDARD MSFS GLASS

• Alebedo color HSV 0-0-1 HSV 0-0-1
  • BLDG Emissive Color w/o glass overlay HSV = 0-0-.814 w/glass overlay HSV = 0-0-.35
  • GLASS emissive color HSV= 0-0-0
  • Alpha Multiply .55 .12
  • Day night yes yes
MATERIAL PROPERTIES

Rough scale though Blend threshold all 1.0

Double check the nodes in shading that “emissive tint” for building reads 0-0-.814 if you do not have glass panels overlaying the texture and settings of 0-0-.35 if you do have glass panels overlaid, here is where you may change the HSV to tint your imissions but leave the 3rd value as stated above. Also not on your texture map use white and grey and black that way the white areas will get tinted as expected. On emissive tint mix I left everything alone.The reason is, the glass panels, in order to provide reflection during the day or rain etc, they absorb or deflect some of the emission value at night. In my attached examples the building on the left does not have any glass panels whereas the small one on the right does. End result, at night they both emit the same amount of light.
I hope this save someone all the hassle I went though :)

View attachment 64114

Hi,

I am having problems getting my emissive texture to work.

I am using the first method (the one with emissive building texture and a separate glass panel in front).

I made my emissive texture using a copy of my albedo texture, painted everything black except a few windows which I painted shades of yellow.

In Blender I used the MSFS standard materials and plugged in my albedo and emissive texture. If I look on the shader tree I can see the two nodes
for albedo and emissive.

Should I be able to see the emissions in Blender or do they not show up until in the sim? I don't see anything

Should I be able to see the emissions in developer mode or do I need to install the package into the community folder before it will show?

any help greatly appreciated

thanks
Stinger

Country
canada
I think I finally mastered multi-room parallax texture properly. Here's the test video with a simple cube building. Emission works too. What's funny is that rooms are randomized somehow by the sim. They are showing in a different order than I have them in my background textures. Same for emission rooms. But that's OK, I think it meant to remove a pattern look from large buildings, especially at night. See night look in the second half of the video.
This building has no 3D interior - it's just a testing cube, basically. One side has a universal material I'm going to use on different buildings depending on each model, by using UV maps for whatever windows I need, and 3 sides have a more specific material for 2 large hotel buildings my upcoming scenery will include. Full PBR structure: it has maps for albedo (window front with shutters etc.), ambient occlusion, roughness, metallic, behind-windows albedo, and emission for the random night lighting look. Rooms are actually rendered in Blender in 3D and their renderings are edited for parallax 2D texture.

The way I "reverse-engineered" it is based on the MSFS SDK sample parallax material (found in sample materials, duh!). I took the room perspective look from the background 4x4 room texture there as a guide and made my rooms. Then the rest of the PBR textures are pretty straightforward (don't use metalness on transparent glass!). It took a lot of time to figure out the right transparencies nail down the look. I did it for a single room for my CNC3 and SYKZ sceneries, and now I did the multi-room material for my upcoming CYOW scenery. The Blender2MSFS settings are like this for this video: specular 1, alpha 1, the rest surface parameters are 0. Albedo color white, emissive color - slightly yellowish, alpha multiplier 1. Parallax parameters - this is for 4x4 room textures the exact sizes of sample material! These were difficult to figure out as they are not documented well - scale 0.60, roomsize X 0.50 Y 0.25, number XY 4. All texture maps are set with texture files. Everything else default.

I think I will post it as a separate topic, many will find it helpful...

Country
us-california
Hi,

I am having problems getting my emissive texture to work.

I am using the first method (the one with emissive building texture and a separate glass panel in front).

I made my emissive texture using a copy of my albedo texture, painted everything black except a few windows which I painted shades of yellow.

In Blender I used the MSFS standard materials and plugged in my albedo and emissive texture. If I look on the shader tree I can see the two nodes
for albedo and emissive.

Should I be able to see the emissions in Blender or do they not show up until in the sim? I don't see anything

Should I be able to see the emissions in developer mode or do I need to install the package into the community folder before it will show?

any help greatly appreciated

thanks
Stinger
Sorry for late response, was out of area for a while. Sometimes in blender they may show lighter.. it’s weird. The best way is to build it, put package in community folder and run the sim. Btw, I stopped with the window panels. Excess not needed. I decided to divide (add rectangles into) the model and am using Quixel to make thone rectangles in the model have a highly reflective texture/glass. My emissive texture has the all black with the windows as scenes of the interior, dimly lit. I will try to and a photo from my desktop later.

Country
us-california
I think I finally mastered multi-room parallax texture properly. Here's the test video with a simple cube building. Emission works too. What's funny is that rooms are randomized somehow by the sim. They are showing in a different order than I have them in my background textures. Same for emission rooms. But that's OK, I think it meant to remove a pattern look from large buildings, especially at night. See night look in the second half of the video.
This building has no 3D interior - it's just a testing cube, basically. One side has a universal material I'm going to use on different buildings depending on each model, by using UV maps for whatever windows I need, and 3 sides have a more specific material for 2 large hotel buildings my upcoming scenery will include. Full PBR structure: it has maps for albedo (window front with shutters etc.), ambient occlusion, roughness, metallic, behind-windows albedo, and emission for the random night lighting look. Rooms are actually rendered in Blender in 3D and their renderings are edited for parallax 2D texture.

The way I "reverse-engineered" it is based on the MSFS SDK sample parallax material (found in sample materials, duh!). I took the room perspective look from the background 4x4 room texture there as a guide and made my rooms. Then the rest of the PBR textures are pretty straightforward (don't use metalness on transparent glass!). It took a lot of time to figure out the right transparencies nail down the look. I did it for a single room for my CNC3 and SYKZ sceneries, and now I did the multi-room material for my upcoming CYOW scenery. The Blender2MSFS settings are like this for this video: specular 1, alpha 1, the rest surface parameters are 0. Albedo color white, emissive color - slightly yellowish, alpha multiplier 1. Parallax parameters - this is for 4x4 room textures the exact sizes of sample material! These were difficult to figure out as they are not documented well - scale 0.60, roomsize X 0.50 Y 0.25, number XY 4. All texture maps are set with texture files. Everything else default.

I think I will post it as a separate topic, many will find it helpful...
That looks reallly nice, and .I have a few questions. Link to seperate topic? That nit withstanding, I can see this as an advantage for a “feature” building such as a terminal or large jet center, close to the tarmac, small fbo at small airport, not sure same with stand off (more distant) buildings... lot of work for buildings rarely seen up close, do you follow that train of thought? what is the frame rate hit for all of that. And yes, documentation is horrible!

Country
us-california
Big question again, in a room with multiple windows over the same room, do you have a texture for each window? Can I do pbr in another program and edit the window areas in the albedo, or use albedo texture. A tutorial on this process would be awesome!

Country
unitedkingdom
Sorry for late response, was out of area for a while. Sometimes in blender they may show lighter.. it’s weird. The best way is to build it, put package in community folder and run the sim. Btw, I stopped with the window panels. Excess not needed. I decided to divide (add rectangles into) the model and am using Quixel to make thone rectangles in the model have a highly reflective texture/glass. My emissive texture has the all black with the windows as scenes of the interior, dimly lit. I will try to and a photo from my desktop later.
Don't worry. I got it sorted thanks.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Country
canada
Big question again, in a room with multiple windows over the same room, do you have a texture for each window? Can I do pbr in another program and edit the window areas in the albedo, or use albedo texture. A tutorial on this process would be awesome!
I have all windows in a single texture set. The whole hotel side is basically one square 2048x2048 texture repeated. There is not a single individual window on those 2 hotels.
24.jpg

This is a final hotel side, also, wall and windows is single texture windows are fully transparent, shutters are semi-transparent (Photoshop layers, exported to single PNG) and rooms are parallax texture. Window panes are also black in roughness channel, and in Displacement which is much easier to create in Photoshop than proper Normal texture. Then all textures (albedo, displacement, ambient occlusion faked with some shadow filter in photoshop, metalness map) are combined with Quixel Mixer into 3 files needded for MSFS PBT texture: Albedo, ORM, Normal. And parallax layer is created separately, plus emission variant with some rooms dimmed and others lit with yellow tint. Than this generic parallax covers almost all my needs for a large airport, and is heavily reused. FPS impact should be minimal as there is no 3D rendering going on, just 2 textures instead of 1. I'm also heavily reusing the same textures.
28.jpg

I'm usng the "generic test" wall from that video for many building. Single texture set for all kinds of windows, using UV mapping.
31.jpg