• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 My first custom jetway (skin n'bones)

Country
us-texas
Took me 5 days to get it to work......this is hard! But finally got it to work. Still very basic, need to add more detailing, but now that I understand the process it should be straightforward.

Very happy right now!

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Congratulation.
You can use SODE to do the jetway as well. You just name the components of the jetway as the program require. The script will do all the things for you. But there are a lot of work to do on folders and texture placement. Go to this https://sode.12bpilot.ch/?page_id=9 and download the SODE Jetway SDK V1.6 [17MAR2017].

Walter Almaraz

Resource contributor
Country
bolivia
It needs some improvements, but here are the pics:

Close
tf9RHbi.jpg

A little bit far
2KojHNq.jpg

Country
us-texas
It needs some improvements, but here are the pics:

Close
tf9RHbi.jpg

A little bit far
2KojHNq.jpg

They look great but i think the default lights are the ones showing up at the distance.

When you make 3D lights, you need to make a set of "reversed LODs". As the light is further away, the LOD increases in size. You play with that until you get the desired results. There are good sources here on FSD on this topic. 3D Runway lights are also done this way, except the LODs are significantly larger so you can see the lights 6M away.

Walter Almaraz

Resource contributor
Country
bolivia
They look great but i think the default lights are the ones showing up at the distance.

When you make 3D lights, you need to make a set of "reversed LODs". As the light is further away, the LOD increases in size. You play with that until you get the desired results. There are good sources here on FSD on this topic. 3D Runway lights are also done this way, except the LODs are significantly larger so you can see the lights 6M away.

Thanks for your advice, I saw some interesting posts about that.

Country
us-texas
Amazing! Nice jetway, also the movement looks very smooth, how you did it?

The video is half speed, to show the kinematics. But the trick to smoothness seems to be related to number of bridge nodes, and the stroke limit of each one. I.E., three bridge sections with short strokes seem to prevent the jetway from jumping to stretched position, vs two that stretch a long distance. The location of the airplane relative to gate also plays a factor. Same applies for Z direction (up and down). You want the neutral height of the bridge as close above or below as possible to the airplane door.

What you see here is probably close to 60hrs of fiddling with skin n bones. All this to prevent my customers from having to use SODE. The simplicity of a CTL-J just has no match, but the development effort is UNREAL! LOL