FSXA Nearmap tiles SBX

Hello all,
my name is Frank and I am a scenery developer for OZX (www.aussiex.org). We have hundreds of airports for ORBX PNW and ORBX AU. We have just started recruiting a second generation of developers since the first generation has moved to ORBX to continue their work. Anyway, here is my problem. There is this really high resolution Australian imagery source called Nearmap and there is a tile downloading program called Hypertiles which they also made. I have downloaded the tiles I want in Hypertiles but when it saves then it saves each tile into a folder. When I go into SbuilderX to open it up and do a BGL compile, I have to compile each tile which takes too long. Is there an easier way?
Thanks and I appreciate your help,
Frank

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Frank,

The website says you can also download them as geo referenced files for use in gis applications. Maybe you can feed those directly to resample (if they are in wgs84 projection). That might be easier than using sbuilderx.

Send from my phone using Tapatalk, so excuse the short sentences and possible typos

hcornea

Resource contributor
Hypertiles will combine them, or you can use a GIS program like Globalmapper.

Ensure that you use Geodetic WGS84 when downloading.

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
I'm downloading a set of tiles for Canberra International as a test. It is at zoom 21, so it will take about 6 hours. :eek:

I believe the file structure for the images is jpeg. It needs to be changed for use as a resample source. I think gdal_translate would be the right program. You can then make them as GeoTiffs, which are very easy to use directly with resample or with SBuilderX.

You could combine the image files as a single image... but with these extreme zoom levels, it would be quite large, and SBuilderX probably would choke on them... resample doesn't to mind large images.

Blend-masking would be difficult. But breaking the images at roads or fence-lines sometimes works better than trying a 'faded' blend. Again, gdal has the tools to manipulate the formats and add masking to the images.

Dick

rhumbaflappy

Staff member
Resource contributor
I use the OSGeo4W Shell when using gdal utilities to manipulate imagery. From that shell, I can run this batch file:

Code:
echo on
for %%f in (*.jpg) do gdal_translate -a_srs EPSG:4326 -of GTiff %%f %%f.tif
ren ???.jpg.tif ???.tif

md GeoTiffs
move *.tif .\GeoTiffs
pause
This takes the large jpeg files from nearmaps tiling program, stored in a single directory, and translates them to a geotiff, renames them properly, and moves them to a subdirectory named GeoTiffs.

Those geotiffs can be added as maps to SBuilderX... or they can be resampled directly.

An INF file of a tile would look like this:

Code:
[Source]
Type                = GeoTIFF
SourceDir           = "."
SourceFile          = "1-1.tif"
Layer               = Imagery
Variation           = Day

[Destination]
DestDir             = "."
DestBaseFileName    = "1-1"
DestFileType        = BGL
LOD                 = 7,21
Dick

Zoom levels

Hypertiles will combine them, or you can use a GIS program like Globalmapper.

Ensure that you use Geodetic WGS84 when downloading.
I'm using Zoom 21 so Hypertiles won't combine them unless if they are maximum zoom 19 or 18 if I remember correctly. One must not only consider the resolution but also the size of the image.
Thanks for your help Ian!

Hello:

Even though FS SDK Resample is capable of dealing with large and/or multi-source input files with resulting large output files processed on large RAM capacity / 64-bit Windows systems, experience reported here by a number of users over the years has IIRC, suggested a practical limit of no more than 2 GB working sets and individual output file sizes for Resample to deal with, with IMHO a more preferable target output file size being 500 - 750 MB for photoreal imagery BGLs, with coverage being divided into a number of "tiles" or polys... rather than trying to fit them all into 1 huge BGL.

Hope this helps ! :)

[EDITED]

PS: This thread offers some authoritative info as well:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13637&highlight=compression

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited:
I use the OSGeo4W Shell when using gdal utilities to manipulate imagery. From that shell, I can run this batch file:

Code:
echo on
for %%f in (*.jpg) do gdal_translate -a_srs EPSG:4326 -of GTiff %%f %%f.tif
ren ???.jpg.tif ???.tif

md GeoTiffs
move *.tif .\GeoTiffs
pause
This takes the large jpeg files from nearmaps tiling program, stored in a single directory, and translates them to a geotiff, renames them properly, and moves them to a subdirectory named GeoTiffs.

Those geotiffs can be added as maps to SBuilderX... or they can be resampled directly.

An INF file of a tile would look like this:

Code:
[Source]
Type                = GeoTIFF
SourceDir           = "."
SourceFile          = "1-1.tif"
Layer               = Imagery
Variation           = Day

[Destination]
DestDir             = "."
DestBaseFileName    = "1-1"
DestFileType        = BGL
LOD                 = 7,21
Dick
Excellent info, Dick ! ;)

It's great to see "good old DOS" syntax still being used in this example scenario.

< Hmmm... use of batch commands with a command line input option is something I'd really like to be able to do with ModelConverterX as well ! > :idea:

GaryGB

Last edited: