FSXA Need some advice

Hello All,

I'm trying the airport EBTN as test case, but the sat image doesn't get aligned with 1 of the 2 runways, what should/can I do to resolve this?
Thanks in advance.
Johan

EBTN_FSX_V1.png
PNG_EBTN.png

gadgets

Resource contributor
Distort the satellite image or make your ADE airport conform to it would seem to be your only options. In your screenshots, the relative orientation of the ADE runways clearly does not reflect real life. It would seem there's some disagreement in runway lengths and taxiway widths as well. The latter approach is likely to be the most successful.

Don

Thanks but the ade airport comes from stock FSX, the thing that strikes me the most is that the 17 runway is almost a perfect match and the 06 one is way off.
Also the street that is passing by in the top image aligns perfect with the FSX version one.

Could it be that the actual runway info was misaligned by MS people?

Is deleting rny6 and recreate this in ade could be the solution?

Again thx in advance.
Johan

gadgets

Resource contributor
The fact that a stock airport does not accurately conform to real life is no surprise. Once you load a stock airport into ADE, you can do with it as you wish. The file you compile with ADE is an add-on airport and it will contain code to completely exclude the stock airport.

If you want to create an airport that matches the satellite image, then you've got some work to do But everything you need to do, e.g., make taxiways narrower, make runways longer, change runway orientation, etc. is within the capability of ADE. There's no magic. Load the stock airport into ADE and make whatever changes you wish.

Don

Further to Don's advice - (re-iterating Jon's regular pleading)

Load the stock airport into ADE - save as an ADE .ad4 file - make any changes - re-save and compile to your Addon Scenery folder. If further changes are required, only ever open the ADE .ade file - NEVER the compiled BGL file.

That's what i'm doing, another thing I forgot to mention is that during my first try, I had aligned both runways perfectly on the background image, and when I loaded this in the SIM both runways were way (i mean very way) of the sattelite image used in the sim. I don't have this source anymore otherwise I could send it over.
Anybody have seen this also?
Thanks in advance for all the help.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I am not at all clear what you are trying to do. If you want to align the airport with the sim then take a screenshot of the sim and use that as the background image. It seems you are using a satellite image that is not matched to what you see in the sim.

That's what i'm doing, another thing I forgot to mention is that during my first try, I had aligned both runways perfectly on the background image, and when I loaded this in the SIM both runways were way (i mean very way) of the sattelite image used in the sim. I don't have this source anymore otherwise I could send it over.
Anybody have seen this also?
Thanks in advance for all the help.

You are working with a Military airport. In many cases Microsoft did not have correct Lat/Lon, headings, taxiway sizes, runway lengths, etc. data for these type airports and the layout was a guess at best.

Ok, I will recreate my first scenery and take a picture of that, then everything will be clear. @jvile ok think you're right, testes yesterday with EBBL and the 2 runways line up perfecty at one side but are totally messed up on the other side (+5°)
Seems I have a lot of trail and error before me :)
thanks for all the info
Johan

depending on your source imagry, you may be dealing with an image projected differently than the sim expects. Any image taken from above over a sphere is unable to be completely accurately flattened. So decisions are made, and standards adopted. The Sim has historically used the Geometric Projection with A WGS 84 Datum. The images I've normally downloaded from USGS are in UTM projection (Universal Traverse Mercator). I invested in a tool years ago called global mapper that can reproject the images.

Based on the improvements in the toolset over the years, I woudln't be surprised if one of the coders here have made this function standard in one of their tools, perhaps Arno's or Jon's tools now do this. If this is your problem, reprojection is a far better solution than distorting the image manually.