• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Need .x file exported from 3DS Max using latest P3D v4.5.12.30293 SDK

Country
malaysia
Hi,

Recently, I have requested Arno to have a look into the latest SDK. He said it seems there are new features might got added especially on PBR materials part. Since we both don’t have 3DS Max software we couldn’t produce the .x file. I hope someone who has it could help produce the .x file and attach on this forum so he can look on the new features that has been added.

Thank you.

Country
israel
Hi I have 3DSMax tell me what you need here or PM me what you want also 2019. Student license is the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 1281

That's odd; I have Max 2011, export to x file via the 1.4 SDK (FSX format), then push it through MCX, and re-export to 4.5 format, PBR and all. What exactly is it you are mssing?

Country
israel
No no we need to make an X file directly from 3ds max to get new entries there.

D

Deleted member 1281

Seems we are talking at cross purposes. Basically, you don't need Max at all, you can use gmax, fsds, Sketchup, or blender to create the FSX mdl, then recompile to 4.5 via MCX. But your offer is great; that way Arno can see if there are any differences.

Country
malaysia
Hi @mjahn,

@Itay Dorfman is correct. The one we are using via the plugin for all other 3D software (GMax, FSDS, Sketchup, or Blender) is actually has similar purpose as what 3DS Max does. The only thing is, whether the plugin has been updated or not. The new features in MCX also got updated using the .x file created from 3DS Max. So, what is being exported by MCX will be similar as what is exported by 3DS Max.

So, the latest PBR materials need to be added as provided by the latest SDK. But in order to find out in what format does the new features is written in the .X file, according to the latest SDK, we need the .X file exported directly from 3DS Max.

@Itay Dorfman, please export the .x file from 3DS MAX 2019 since it has the latest plugin used.

I hope @arno can guide what is needed.

Country
malaysia
That's good. I think you just export a cube model with some PBR materials selected. I think the export should provide all the details in .X file even if we didn't select certain attributes. Just try uploading it here. Maybe if we need anything else, that can be guided by Arno later part.

Country
israel
I will make couple of cubes with different smooth and metallic properties I think

Country
israel
Here is the new X file 1 hour early thx to canceled hours in school

Attachments

• New .x file.rar
    5.3 KB · Views: 201

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I don't see anything new in the X file.

The discussion I had with @MANOCHVARMA RAMAN mainly focussed on the question if you can use the P3D v4 additional detail map settings with the PBR materials. Some pictures in the SDK seem to hint at that. Could somebody try to make a simple box in 3DS Max that has a PBR material plus these detail map settings? To see if that is supported in the X file.

Country
israel
What do you mean by adding those settings like add a detail map

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Now that I had another look at the SDK I see that the parameters that @MANOCHVARMA RAMAN found are only listed in the normal material editor, not in the PBR editor, so I don't think they are supported for PBR. So I don't think another file is needed. Thanks.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

Unfortunately, I can't confirm this, but within the P3D SDK (v4.5) pictured, the "detail" map or slot is available within 3ds Max under PBR Materials (Software Development Kit -> Modeling -> 3ds Max - > Modeling -> PBR Materials). Can anyone confirm that this slot is available within 3ds Max? Is there a slot for "Detail" Map (see below):

2019-05-24 08_41_04-Greenshot.png

Could this be a misprint?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, the detail map was always there. It's the additional detail parameters that are available since P3Dv4 that we were looking at. But these don't seem available in PBR.