• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

New Freeware Project

Pompeii Italy

This will include photoreal of Mount Vesuvius and the Pompeii ruins (16 Models). All with day and nighttime textures.

This has been a bear of a project. The elevations in this area are ridiculous. Most buildings have taken a minimum of 1/2 day each so far to get things just right. It seems I get one area done and then learn something else to improve it and start from scratch again. I have 12 of the 16 models set. When Arno figures out whats up with some of the night textures going the wrong direction after minimizing drawcalls night textures will be completed.:) I had another guy write me a script for Gimp that takes all the day textures and generates night textures in seconds. I can't place lights on the actual models themselves as they don't do that in real life. I have lit the ground around some of them to also help in the effect. I may work on that a little more as I'm not 100% satisfied. The script also helps create the feeling that the models are lit but it's not overbearing. I like the effect myself.

Also, if anyone is pretty good with sketchup I could use a couple more models of a few building around the ruins. And if anyone knows how I could make some cobblestone to put on the walkways. Neither are necessary but I think it would add a little something. I may try to tackle both myself.

Anyway...Here are some pics. Please feel free to offer suggestions etc. I'll need some people to test this too when it's finished if anyone is interested.

This is my 1st project so don't be too hard on me :)

Mount Vesuvius
MntVDay_zpsf06f6c7b.jpg

Mount Vesuvius Night
MntVNight_zps0f7bdccb.jpg

Model Detail
ImpCult_zps477d578b.jpg

Section 4
Pompeii_Section4_zpsdf1bb914.jpg

Apollo Night
ApolloNight_zps5b9b647a.jpg

Amphitheatre & Palestra Night
AmpNight_zps23863036.jpg

Hope you like it!

-Kevin

Country
italy
Kevin, You have my appreciations!!!

I'm from Naples and i'm amazed by Your work. This is the best gift that You can give to my people...

Bravo!!! :)

Country
spain
Amazing you have made Pompei, have you look at Sketchup warehouse, always can find somehing, about the cobblestone, I think you should paint them, in someway, and use as a landlcass, or photoreal tile, modeling them could be almost imposible.

Kevin, You have my appreciations!!!

I'm from Naples and i'm amazed by Your work. This is the best gift that You can give to my people...

Bravo!!! :)

This is awesome! Glad you like it. I hope to do Pompeii proud.

Does this look familiar? I made it last night to go along with the other scenery.

PompeiiB1Night_zpsce6603bd.jpg

Amazing you have made Pompei, have you look at Sketchup warehouse, always can find somehing, about the cobblestone, I think you should paint them, in someway, and use as a landlcass, or photoreal tile, modeling them could be almost imposible.

Yeah. I thought I could make a pattern in gimp and then apply it to the photo scenery. That's not working very well. The sidewalks are just so small its hard to pick up any detail. If I knew how to do bump maps that might do the trick. May look into that at some point. Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it!

Model update. Set the final 5 ruins models today. Have to work on the elevation around them as from its lowest point to highest point is around 5-6 feet. :eek:

Section3_zps2a90425d.jpg

Need to work on some lighting around one of the main walkways as a model skirt is covering up the photoscenery and looks terrible.

The Mount Vesuvius Section if 100% complete.

I may still try to build a few more modern models to splash around inside the ruins if I can find good enough pictures.

Still have a few trees to put in around some of the models.

I have to work out of town next week so I won't make much progress until the end of the week. Hope to be ready for testing at that point.

Still need Arno to figure out why when minimizing drawcalls on night textures it places some textures horizontally instead of vertically. This has been corrected, Thanks Arno!

Right now I'm at 854 textures. That will double with night textures added unless we can get the minimizing drawcall thing figured out. All very small thankfully. I haven't noticed any hits to FPS at all. The photoscenery around the ruins I compressed to 90% instead of the normal 85%. I may have to back that down to get a smaller file as it gets a little blurry until it can fully load. Doesn't take long now but I can notice it.

Thanks all for the encouraging words. Makes me work that much harder to get you something you will enjoy!

-Kevin

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
As an Ancient Rome fanatic I'm looking forward to this scenery very much!

Have you considered doing the ruins of downtown Rome to this degree of detail?

Country
australia
Wow 'krwynn'....
I've gotta say......that is intense!!..
Love the high res detail!
May I ask what programmes/tools you are using?
Keep up the fantastic work mate!..;)

Jacko

Wow 'krwynn'....
I've gotta say......that is intense!!..
Love the high res detail!
May I ask what programmes/tools you are using?
Keep up the fantastic work mate!..;)

Jacko

Thank you!
I'm using GIMP, SBuilderX, Sketchup, Model Convertor X and Instant Scenery. For now I seem to be getting the results I want from those tools.

As an Ancient Rome fanatic I'm looking forward to this scenery very much!

Have you considered doing the ruins of downtown Rome to this degree of detail?

Thank you! I believe Cloud 9 already has a Rome Scenery package. I haven't looked at it or tried it yet to see how good it is. Worth consideration for sure.

Hurricane Sandy took a day from me and I had a death in the family Saturday :( that will take up a few days this week. Its always sad to see a family member go but he had suffered for 2 years after a severe stroke and is in a better place now.

I've finished almost all of the night textures. Reduced texture files on one model from 710 to just over 200. :) I only have 1 more model to adjust elevation on and then just a little fine tuning.

I must admit that I had previously known of Pompeii, but didn't really know the history behind it. After viewing hundreds of photos, watching videos and reading about it I'm entirely fascinated. Obsessed might be a more accurate word. The more I learn the more I want to learn about this magical place. The building architecture and craftsmanship is breath taking.

Here are a few more pictures of the project and some more detail.

2012-10-30_23-52-24-300.jpg

2012-10-30_23-47-33-481.jpg

2012-10-30_23-47-49-105.jpg

2012-10-30_23-48-25-103.jpg

2012-10-30_23-49-17-927.jpg

-Kevin